**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 14, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #18,256 of 22,116
  How loud can you go on the he-400 and not damaging them? It's really awesome laying them on a table and using them as loud speakers.

...that is probably a terrible idea generally. they are not designed to be used like that.

Oct 14, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #18,257 of 22,116
  How loud can you go on the he-400 and not damaging them? It's really awesome laying them on a table and using them as loud speakers.

I cannot tell if you are serious or not. Joke? If not, I don't mean to be a jerk.

Oct 16, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #18,258 of 22,116
I've heard that orthodynamics can go to much higher volumes without harming the driver. I forget where though. If you do some research and I'm right, that actually might be a viable use for them. Though many here may cringe at the thought

Oct 16, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #18,259 of 22,116
Planar Magnetics won't heat up as easily and fast as regular dome drivers with regular voice coils.  Thus they can take way more wattage and still be fine.   The LCD2 was rated at 15watts instantaneous capacity.  Iv'e taken HE-400 to 1watt without problem (of course they weren't on my head at that point.)

Oct 18, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #18,260 of 22,116
I've been playing around with replacing the cigarette paper thin cloth that's glued to the grills by felt and I must admit that I really don't understand this choice of a wider SS that ends up resonating and ringing like hell, it's far less fatiguing to have proper damping in there
popcorn.gif

Oct 18, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #18,261 of 22,116
Love my HE400 with 1540 pads. I'm between a rock and a hard place, as I lost my main place of employment, and I'm not getting enough hours at the new place. I may have to return my 400s just to be able to pay my next month's bills. I don't want to, as I'm very, very happy with them. I was always happy with the 400, and now even more so.

Between not knowing when the next day I work, not having my own place, and car troubles, headphones are the last thing on my mind.

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #18,263 of 22,116
I haven't heard the X-1, but from graphs, I can tell you it has much more bass, mid-bass especially, and less sub-bass. The HE-400 bass isn't really that big, it's just incredibly tight. 400 is more V-shaped, because mids are quite recessed and treble is the most prominent part of the headphone. Fidelio should have more prominent but less controlled bass. Aside from this, I ask anyone who has heard the X-1 to add anything to this if needed :)

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #18,264 of 22,116
  Can anyone compare the HE400 to the Philips Fidelio X-1?  Bass particularly, but also overall sound sig?

Thanks!

X1 is warm and bassy. loose boomy bass, boring treble, mediocre resolution. huge soundstage.

HE-400 is neutral and v-shaped. linear tight bass, sparkly but fatiguing highs. recessed upper mids/lower treble. great detailing. pretty good soundstage.

Oct 19, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #18,265 of 22,116
I don't have a lot of experience, but I don't care for a bright sound, so maybe the HE400 is not for me then.  But I do want something that will go very low.

Help me understand how the 400 can be V shaped and neutral?  I thought V shaped meant emphasized bass and emphasized treble (or recessed mids I guess would mean the same thing), and neutral meant a relatively flat line, with nothing emphasized to anything else.  Am I not understanding this correctly?

Thanks again.

Oct 19, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #18,266 of 22,116
  I don't have a lot of experience, but I don't care for a bright sound, so maybe the HE400 is not for me then.  But I do want something that will go very low.

Help me understand how the 400 can be V shaped and neutral?  I thought V shaped meant emphasized bass and emphasized treble (or recessed mids I guess would mean the same thing), and neutral meant a relatively flat line, with nothing emphasized to anything else.  Am I not understanding this correctly?

Thanks again.

The HE-400s are not technically V-shaped. They do not have an emphasized bass in terms of quantity. They do have a upper mid recession and a slight treble spike so some people view them as v-shaped. Otherwise, they are relatively neutral. In comparison to something like the HD800, I can see how someone may view them as v-shaped, but they are not truly v-shaped. It would be more accurate to just describe them as slightly colored.

They are more neutral than most consumer headphones, so many people characterize them as such. 

Here is a link where you can compare frequency response curves:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE400.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads

Oct 19, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #18,267 of 22,116
The he400 are essentially a dark sounding headphone with a treble spike that can be eqd out leaving them sounding detailed, dynamic and ace!

Oct 19, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #18,268 of 22,116
X1 is warm and bassy. loose boomy bass, boring treble, mediocre resolution. huge soundstage.

HE-400 is neutral and v-shaped. linear tight bass, sparkly but fatiguing highs. recessed upper mids/lower treble. great detailing. pretty good soundstage.

Agreed, my problem with HE-400 only the high fatiguing my ears.. I always prefer set EQ flat, but with this cans I need to step down the high.
Thinking to sell this cans...

Oct 19, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #18,269 of 22,116
Anyone using a Woo WA6 with these?  Can it drive these?

Thanks

Oct 19, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #18,270 of 22,116

What EQ are you guys using to keep the treble down? I searched on this thread and they are all electric-Q files. I have a mac so I can't use footer with electri-q.

Can you guys pot the frequencies dB to cut?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back