**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 7, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #18,196 of 22,116
   The 400i has some emphasis in the upper bass (FR graphs won't show this), although it's very controlled so it doesn't sound bloated.  The lowest bass rolls off slightly.  There's also a big peak in the mid treble like the original 400, but it's not as annoyingly strong.  

I like to think of the 400i as the 400 sound but a little grown up.  The bass isn't quite as taught and impactful compared to the 400, but whereas the 400's point of most recession was centered around 4-5khz, the 400i has a secondary peak in that region (much like its bigger brother the 560), and it has a larger peak in the treble in the 10khz range like the original 400.

The 400i isn't glaringly v-shaped as the original 400, but it still holds near the same coloration-- ie a recessed upper midrange and emphasized treble.  The original 400 is very vocal forward when it comes to male vocals, and its lower midrange emphasized (like the 400i) renders low brass and woodwinds dominantly compared to strings and high brass.

Compared to other headphones like the LCD3 and 560, the 400i is very much still v-shaped, but keep in mind that when I say that it's not to put the headphone down.  It was the v-shaped sound of the 400 that made me keep it for more than 2 years.

I am curious how there can be emphasis in a frequency response that is not reflected in the FR graphs. 

I disagree that v-shaped is the best characterization for the HE-400. There is definitely a bit of coloration, but he-400 definitely has a different sound signature compared to traditionally considered v-shaped sound signatures like the ultrasone pro900, beyer dt990, ath-m50, vmoda m100s, or pioneer hdj2000. (from my experience).

Oct 7, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #18,197 of 22,116
When I watch movies or listen to music, I find the upper mid recession on the he-400 with velour pads much more true to life sounding than my hd650 which doesnt have a recessed upper mids.

For some reason the hd650 isnt very lifelike when it comes to voices, I'm always reminded I'm listening to headphones, but that might just be me. The male voices are so real and has so much weight on the he-400, but no so on female vocals. its the other way around for the hd650.

It's the same thing with my dt990, it has too much upper mids and it's unnatural sounding. the he-400 has a different sound signature, some may call it v-shaped, well its more complicated than that. it's only v shaped on some recordings I feel like.

Oct 7, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #18,198 of 22,116
I've had the HE-400 for a month now and have put in around 80-100 hours on it. The sound has settled down wonderfully though the sharp highs are still an irritation on some recordings. I am playing it off  Foobar> Fiio X3. The volume was sufficient on hi gain though it still felt a little under-powered.

Yesterday I borrowed a O2 amp and the difference was immediate and huge. Powerful, crisp and much better detail. Totally floored by the overall improvement!

One problem though: The highs are even more annoying with the amp.

The O2 is on hi gain setting, and I don't know how to swap the jumpers etc to move it to mid or low gain, so I let it be. However I switched the X3 to low gain.  I've read on this forum that the Fiio E12 may be a better match, since it downplayes the highs. 

Would appreciate any suggestions. Also, would swapping pads help? Which ones ?

Oct 7, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #18,200 of 22,116
So just how much am I shortchanging myself by listening to these primarily out of an iPhone 4S?

Because it sounds great to me just like that. Plus it's just far more convenient to plug them into my phone, while being able to walk around the house, lay down in bed, etc.

Even plugging the HE-400 into my AV receiver, it certainly sounds different but necessarily 'better'.

If I buy a dedicated amp/DAC, it'll probably be the Fiio E17 or the new Onkyo HA200. But only if it offers a clear improvement in sound. Opinions?

Bonus question: Do the HD650s complement the HE-400s, or are they too similar to make the Sennheisers worth having too?

So when using a phone versus a dedicated Amp and DAC, I hear an appreciable difference but your mile may vary.

I own the Fiio E07k with the Wolfson audiio chip and use it with my laptop when traveling. It doesn't have the color of my tube amp, but sounds great. You have a lot of options, but the Fiio are a relatively inexpensive entry point versus Objective 2 + DAC or a leap to Schiit equipment.

If Amazon is an option for you, remember you have thirty days to return. Worse case, you will be responsible for shipping.

Oct 7, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #18,201 of 22,116
  I've had the HE-400 for a month now and have put in around 80-100 hours on it. The sound has settled down wonderfully though the sharp highs are still an irritation on some recordings. I am playing it off  Foobar> Fiio X3. The volume was sufficient on hi gain though it still felt a little under-powered.

Yesterday I borrowed a O2 amp and the difference was immediate and huge. Powerful, crisp and much better detail. Totally floored by the overall improvement!

One problem though: The highs are even more annoying with the amp.

The O2 is on hi gain setting, and I don't know how to swap the jumpers etc to move it to mid or low gain, so I let it be. However I switched the X3 to low gain.  I've read on this forum that the Fiio E12 may be a better match, since it downplayes the highs. 

Would appreciate any suggestions. Also, would swapping pads help? Which ones ?

EQ down treble spike in X3 for starters ?

Oct 7, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #18,202 of 22,116
Thanks Lohb, will try that. Also will try the EQ on Foobar. 

To tell the truth, I've not had much luck with EQ settings so far. Its always sounded better when i turn off the EQ. 

But now that I really need it, I may get the hang of it.

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #18,203 of 22,116
  I am curious how there can be emphasis in a frequency response that is not reflected in the FR graphs. 

I'm not entirely sure really, but there have been slight abnormalities in FR that sometimes FR graphs just don't capture in my experience.  Often times you need other measurements of the same headphone, or just subjective impressions.  Measurements are always a great tool to have, but they're not the ultimate tell-tell for a headphone's performance. 

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #18,204 of 22,116
  Thanks Lohb, will try that. Also will try the EQ on Foobar. 

To tell the truth, I've not had much luck with EQ settings so far. Its always sounded better when i turn off the EQ. 

But now that I really need it, I may get the hang of it.

In Foobar - i tone down the 10k and 12k by about 4db and smooth around that.  This is with the Focus Pads and toilet paper (supposedly reduces sibilance) so maybe -6db at stock/velours

I use Ellie Goulding's Burn as my Sibilance test - her voice is brutal for it and it shows up quick on that track. 

Oct 7, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #18,205 of 22,116
I've recently acquired some HE-400s. I also have Shure 1540 Alcantara pads AND Shure 1840 pads.

To make it as clear as possible:

Ditch the Hifiman velours, and go for the 1840 velours if you want a humongous boost in comfort. Sound remains relatively the same. the Shure 1840 pads are a gigantic leap in comfort over the stiff as hell velour pads currently sold.

As for the Shure 1540 Alcantara pads, they seem to be a lot like the newer Focus pads in that they're velour topped, with pleather innards, and they seal a lot more than standard velours. What this means for the 400 is that it's about a middle ground between the tightness and air of the velours, and the fleshed out warmth of the stock pleather pads, with less zing up top. Vocals sound more organic with the Alcanatara pads.

Overall, I'd say go for at LEAST the 1840 velours if you're used to the HFM velour sound. If you want very, very slightly less treble, and a fuller/slightly warmer sound, get the 1540 alcantara pads.

FWIH, the newer Focus pads don't have much inside room. Not a problem with the Shure pads.

As for me personally, I'm still debating on whether I stick to the Alcanatara or the Shure 1840 velours, since I like how the 1840 pads breathe, and i like how the 1540 pads make it a less fatiguing headphone if ever so slightly.

Bass on both is about the same as always.

Oct 7, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #18,206 of 22,116
I've recently acquired some HE-400s. I also have Shure 1540 Alcantara pads AND Shure 1840 pads.

To make it as clear as possible:

Ditch the Hifiman velours, and go for the 1840 velours if you want a humongous boost in comfort. Sound remains relatively the same. the Shure 1840 pads are a gigantic leap in comfort over the stiff as hell velour pads currently sold.

As for the Shure 1540 Alcantara pads, they seem to be a lot like the newer Focus pads in that they're velour topped, with pleather innards, and they seal a lot more than standard velours. What this means for the 400 is that it's about a middle ground between the tightness and air of the velours, and the fleshed out warmth of the stock pleather pads, with less zing up top. Vocals sound more organic with the Alcanatara pads.

Overall, I'd say go for at LEAST the 1840 velours if you're used to the HFM velour sound. If you want very, very slightly less treble, and a fuller/slightly warmer sound, get the 1540 alcantara pads.

FWIH, the newer Focus pads don't have much inside room. Not a problem with the Shure pads.

As for me personally, I'm still debating on whether I stick to the Alcanatara or the Shure 1840 velours, since I like how the 1840 pads breathe, and i like how the 1540 pads make it a less fatiguing headphone if ever so slightly.

Bass on both is about the same as always.

Soundstage and bass differences?

Pics? Link?

Oct 7, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #18,208 of 22,116
  When I'm listening to soundtracks, classical and general quality mastered music, I love the he-400 without EQ. But pop, r&b and rap/hiphop has 90% of the time badly mastered tracks and the increase in the treble on the he-400 makes it overbearing.

Also what width should I use? Is it another name for Q? In the AU labs it says width 0,5 as default.

I use about 2.5 Q (width) on the 50 hz tweak. 0.37 for the treble tweak (or otherwise less than 0.5, but typically more than 0.25). I use Easy-Q with Foobar if that helps. But any parabolic EQ would be more or less the same adjustment.

Oct 7, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #18,209 of 22,116
Raven, I haven't sold a headphone in ages, and me getting the 400 was a very time consuming decision. It wasn't an impulse. There is a reason why this is my 3rd time getting these. I have always loved their sound. 3rd time's a charm. I seriously do not want less bass than the 400 has, and so I have no real desire to 'upgrade' to the newer HFMs, especially when I personally have no real issue with the sound signature of these.

Thug: I noticed that the 1540 pads make the soundstage a little more intimate due to the more fleshed out sound. It's a subtle difference either way, and I haven't compared too heavily in this regard. I was mostly interested in what the pads did to the bass and treble. Less bass is unacceptable, and if they added treble, it'd be a fail as HE400 doesn't need any more. Thankfully, it's too close to tell in those regards, so I call both pads a success.

i DO need to note that my 1840 pads have had the screen removed, and I added the pleather's inner rings to give them a similar height to the hfm velours. The Alcantaras don't need anything, and I have left them untouched.

I DO wish to test out the 1840 pads with it's screen untouched, but I assume that will warm up the sound in a similar fashion to the 1540 pads.

Either way, I'm contemplating getting a fresh pair to test out. I'm also considering removing the screen off the pleather pads and sewing them onto the 1840 pads, for the sake of protecting the drivers.

Oct 7, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #18,210 of 22,116
Note that the Shure pads are oval shaped, so there will be a sort of orientation you're going to want when wearing them. I'd recommend sticking to the slight angle that Shure and Sennheiser tend to use with their headphones. A bit hard to see since the pads will become more circular on the Hifiman headphones, but it's there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back