Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #1,697 of 4,142
Oh Sorry. I didn't understand your mod was so simple. My bad. 
redface.gif

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #1,698 of 4,142
I've been meaning to do a little felt mod (or foam disk mod like you've done, cute) but for the time being, this works perfectly fine for me:

Also, for a comparison to the HE-500, see my signature.

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #1,699 of 4,142
Saw an add for someone selling his he6, with lcd pads on it. They do look larger, but they fit, so now....whos going to buy lcd pads and try it?

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #1,701 of 4,142
Ya what are they like 130? Could go stax pads....

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #1,703 of 4,142
Can you take a pic of the pad to show how thick it is?@cute

Did you buy new or used? There have been others mentioning holographic like sound on new he400s as well as he4s.

Here is a link to the "dog treat" mods for the Alpha Dog.  The pad I used is similar to the large round disk in the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osQuY3_mKSo&feature=youtu.be&utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=emai

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #1,704 of 4,142

Here is a link to the "dog treat" mods for the Alpha Dog.  The pad I used is similar to the large round disk in the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osQuY3_mKSo&feature=youtu.be&utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=emai

Got it, I'll see about getting some felt and maybe trying that. I need to go to an arts/crafts store ASAP. The HE6 (or maybe another HE model I saw) has an interesting cut-out of felt between the ear and river. It's basically a circle felt with a crescent shape portion cut out, so maybe just letting SOME of the highs cut through and keeping the rest at bay.

I've also yet to try putting half the start felt on the drivers to see what effect it has.

Might have to do it sometime later as I've offered @purrin my modded HE4 for graphing. If he's interested, we'll see the difference between modded and stock. IMO without the start felt and a more open grill does wonders to this HP.

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #1,706 of 4,142
  I'll tell you what I'm real excited for. AKG K712 Pro angled pads for the HE4. It seems they're going to be available real soon out of AKG spare parts dept and fit on the HE series. They're thicker than the Q701 and from what's been said they'll be $40. I really miss the angled Denon pad's presentation with the HE4 but I know that the HF are coming out soon hence why I sold it off (more demand).

I've still yet to try the Q701 pads on the HE4. I'm enjoying them as it is right now on the home rig. The HE4 is here at work running off the super airy D100. SAY WHAAAT?

Ya I'm tired of the velours, need to try something new. Still want the alpha pads or some lawtons

THE beyer Velours sound 100% as good as teh stocks, and they are more comfy :3

but yea slapped the dt 880/990 pads and despite fighting with that dang ring [I hate the way you put hifiman pads on -.- but it's not as bad as others]

anyways, the dt 880 pads sound fine, I didn't notice any sonic change over the last week... I even ran one dt 880 pad on the left and one HE 4 Velour on the right  and again sounded the same

additionally my D2k stock angled pleathers just sold q.q like literally 10 mins after posting them for sale <.< I never got a chance to try them on the HE 4 but, honestly with the beyers comfort and presentation I don't really want to. The HE 4 sounds wonderful with velours, and I could use the money atm. That said, opefully some time this week, or next I'll be ending my HE 4 to get the wood cups installed, along with some 4inch Mini XLR earings, I'll be having a mini XLR Cable built for it as well

My w1000x and HE 4 will how ever be sharing the same cable so I'll have to get my stock W1000 Cable converted with the mini XLR adapters if I can. So that at some point I can resell my W1000x but hopefully that's at least a a year in the future. I've actually had my w1kx for a year now :D

non the less, as much as I want a W5000 I think I'll just be content with the w1000x out of mah balanced amp

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #1,707 of 4,142

THE beyer Velours sound 100% as good as teh stocks, and they are more comfy :3

but yea slapped the dt 880/990 pads and despite fighting with that dang ring [I hate the way you put hifiman pads on -.- but it's not as bad as others]

anyways, the dt 880 pads sound fine, I didn't notice any sonic change over the last week... I even ran one dt 880 pad on the left and one HE 4 Velour on the right  and again sounded the same

additionally my D2k stock angled pleathers just sold q.q like literally 10 mins after posting them for sale <.< I never got a chance to try them on the HE 4 but, honestly with the beyers comfort and presentation I don't really want to. The HE 4 sounds wonderful with velours, and I could use the money atm. That said, opefully some time this week, or next I'll be ending my HE 4 to get the wood cups installed, along with some 4inch Mini XLR earings, I'll be having a mini XLR Cable built for it as well

My w1000x and HE 4 will how ever be sharing the same cable so I'll have to get my stock W1000 Cable converted with the mini XLR adapters if I can. So that at some point I can resell my W1000x but hopefully that's at least a a year in the future. I've actually had my w1kx for a year now :D

non the less, as much as I want a W5000 I think I'll just be content with the w1000x out of mah balanced amp

I did the same thing with the Beyer DT880/990 pads, now my HE-4 sound like Beyers.....LOL  Seriously, I've had my HE-4 since Saturday, and thought the Hifiman pads were a little stiff.  I had a couple extra pairs of Beyer pads, and I have some Hifiman pads that I tried on other phones a while back.  To get the Beyer pads to fit on the Hifiman rings, I cut the rings back about 1/16" around the outer edge, a little more than halfway to the step on the ring!  Comfort with the Beyer pads is fantastic, since I've had DT880, DT990 and T1.  The diameter is stightly smaller but they work fine.  I think the new Beyer pads for these are a lttle shallower than in the past.  My T1 pads were deeper than either of the new DT880 and DT990 pads that are out there now.  Others are saying that as well, and if you order T1 pads directly from Beyerdynamics, you get the DT990 pads that are not as deep!  Also, the foam disks on new pads are a little thicker, I like them from an older pair of pads that I have here.  The thicker disks from the new DT990 pads make the sound a little darker, as they are noticeably thicker that the mesh on the Hifiman pads.  Hopefully Hifiman, will have better pads available with the new HE-401i and HE-560!

Mar 17, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #1,708 of 4,142
well, i now have an incoming mad dog 3.2 with alphas. Which means ill be putting those delicious pads on the he4 as well,. The probably selling the MDs and my re 262s

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #1,710 of 4,142

I did the same thing with the Beyer DT880/990 pads, now my HE-4 sound like Beyers.....LOL  Seriously, I've had my HE-4 since Saturday, and thought the Hifiman pads were a little stiff.  I had a couple extra pairs of Beyer pads, and I have some Hifiman pads that I tried on other phones a while back.  To get the Beyer pads to fit on the Hifiman rings, I cut the rings back about 1/16" around the outer edge, a little more than halfway to the step on the ring!  Comfort with the Beyer pads is fantastic, since I've had DT880, DT990 and T1.  The diameter is stightly smaller but they work fine.  I think the new Beyer pads for these are a lttle shallower than in the past.  My T1 pads were deeper than either of the new DT880 and DT990 pads that are out there now.  Others are saying that as well, and if you order T1 pads directly from Beyerdynamics, you get the DT990 pads that are not as deep!  Also, the foam disks on new pads are a little thicker, I like them from an older pair of pads that I have here.  The thicker disks from the new DT990 pads make the sound a little darker, as they are noticeably thicker that the mesh on the Hifiman pads.  Hopefully Hifiman, will have better pads available with the new HE-401i and HE-560!

the he 4 sounds like the beyer with stock pads... the differance in te dt 880 and HE 4 is the sub bass and imagining/sound stage

honestly the HE 4 was a direct upgrade to my dt 880... simplest and most fruital upgrade ever, literally it's the DT 880 +sub bass and Ortho Imagining greatest phone ever imo! [for the money] assuming you have an amp to drive it with

Users who are viewing this thread

Back