Hifiman HE-1000 coming
Dec 30, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #31 of 446
  a poor google translation of HE-1000 AND EF1000

HE1000 flagship tablet headphones
Tablet headset can be understood as a reduced flat speakers, have better performance in terms of high and low frequency, and is one of the few flat HiFiMAN headset manufacturers, introduced this year, HE-560 was a lot of audio class awards. The first launch of the conference is its latest flagship tablet headphones HE1000, using the world's first nano-diaphragm, high transmittance of asymmetric magnetic circuit to increase the degree of sound fresh. The louvered grille design eliminates unwanted reflections and enhance the sense of space and details. Matched with HE1000 is EF1000 split tube headphone amplifier uses SRPP circuit, six pairs of transistors connected in parallel, when driving headphones provide 8W Pure Class thrust, while pushing the speakers provide pure Class A 50W, 150W pure class AB . Both the price were not announced.

What's the specs on the headphone?

Dec 30, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #33 of 446

Thanks for posting that.

A thinner diaphragm implies less efficiency than the HE6. I'm hoping some magic in the design keeps the power requirement similar to the HE6. If the 8W output is enough to drive the HE1000, then the WA5 is good for it, but if it needs the 50W output I am hosed.

Why would a thinner diaphragm equate to lower efficiency? It's less mass to move, the efficiency should thus be higher if all other factors are equal (magnetic field strength, tracing properties).

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #34 of 446
In this patent, it stated

High electrical impedance diaphragms in planar magnetic transducers or loudspeakers offer better control of modal behavior through increased back EMF, but are less efficient than low impedance diaphragms and the efficiency limitation prevents their use. Low impedance diaphragms are more desirable because of increased efficiency, however, they exhibit increased modal behavior problems.

It also mentioned

As previously noted, current state of the art planar transducers utilize a uniform air load by means of perforations around the diaphragm or cloth to damp the resonance modes that result from tension. Resistive loading is accomplished by limiting the “open area” exposed to the surrounding air by means of baffles or the application of cloth, foam or other materials in close proximity to the diaphragm. This reduces a rise in resonance, but at the expense of efficiency because resistive forms of damping waste otherwise useable energy at low frequencies. These forms of resistive loading also have little or no effect on the low frequency modal behavior of a diaphragm. Equalization is then required to make up for the effects of lost output. This increases the power requirement of an amplifier used to achieve enough output and decreases the power handling or thermal capacity of the loudspeaker.

BTW Bruce Thigpen, the inventor, of Eminent Technology makes speakers and tonearms.

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #35 of 446
Pretty curious on the MSRP for these.

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #36 of 446
Hmm i hope they are affordable. but i guess not.

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #37 of 446
I attended their product announcement event today and got to try the HE1000's very briefly (setup was HM901s w/ dock > EF1000 > HE1000). While I thought they sounded good I preferred the Orpheus setup right next to it (which managed to sound transparent and euphonic at the same time). Compared to the HE560, the HE1000 sounded more airy but thinner in the mids. I'll refrain from commenting too much because the audition time was too short.

By the way the sensitivity of the HE1000 is 90dB/mW.

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #39 of 446

High electrical impedance diaphragms in planar magnetic transducers or loudspeakers offer better control of modal behavior through increased back EMF, but are less efficient than low impedance diaphragms and the efficiency limitation prevents their use. Low impedance diaphragms are more desirable because of increased efficiency, however, they exhibit increased modal behavior problems.

It also mentioned

As previously noted, current state of the art planar transducers utilize a uniform air load by means of perforations around the diaphragm or cloth to damp the resonance modes that result from tension. Resistive loading is accomplished by limiting the “open area” exposed to the surrounding air by means of baffles or the application of cloth, foam or other materials in close proximity to the diaphragm. This reduces a rise in resonance, but at the expense of efficiency because resistive forms of damping waste otherwise useable energy at low frequencies. These forms of resistive loading also have little or no effect on the low frequency modal behavior of a diaphragm. Equalization is then required to make up for the effects of lost output. This increases the power requirement of an amplifier used to achieve enough output and decreases the power handling or thermal capacity of the loudspeaker.

BTW Bruce Thigpen, the inventor, of Eminent Technology makes speakers and tonearms.

Yes. T50RP modders will know this first hand. When you first get the T50RP it is pretty easy to drive, but after applying dampening materials to the insides of the cups and the back of the drivers, you find yourself having to switch the gain on your amp to high to achieve the same volumes you could before they were modified. More dampening, less efficient. 

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #40 of 446
More photos from the hifiman forum: http://bbs.hifiman.cn/thread-9857-1-1.html

Given the elliptical cup shape, the ear pads would better be super soft to achieve good sealing.

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #43 of 446

It also mentioned

Yes. T50RP modders will know this first hand. When you first get the T50RP it is pretty easy to drive, but after applying dampening materials to the insides of the cups and the back of the drivers, you find yourself having to switch the gain on your amp to high to achieve the same volumes you could before they were modified. More dampening, less efficient. 

I took it that Jerg was simply pointing out that, all things being equal, the claim "thinner diaphragm → less efficient" doesn't hold.

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #45 of 446
Aghhh i wish i could love the design, but that boxy headband reminds me of the jecklyn float...

very strange design indeed !  why do the TOL headphone need to be ugly or strange ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back