HiFiMAN EF400 DAC/Amp
Apr 9, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #31 of 190
I've decided to return this to Hifiman. It's a very nice amp, and frankly a really nice DAC, but it doesn't perform better than any of my main SS amps. For the price, this should definitely be on anyone's shortlist.

I’ve had a similar issue, and similar inability to hear the difference between OS and NOS.
Yea I might be doing this as well. While I think it is a solid all-in-one that can drive most any headphone, I am more concern about the issue I am seeing and if it becomes a bigger issue. I also in the same boat as you as I do have a dac/amp pair that does do a better job.

Apr 10, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #32 of 190
For example, there was some popping/crackling noise once. I reached out to Hifiman's customer service and they told me to restart both the PC and the EF400 which did work. I was only hearing this noise when using the NOS gain levels. However, Just last night I had another issue with the NOS setting where I was hearing some static.
Same experience. Happened from time to time. When i turn off and start again everything is ok.
I’ve had a similar issue, and similar inability to hear the difference between OS and NOS.
I hear a little more clarity in OS.
For the price, this should definitely be on anyone's shortlist.
Yes😀coming from an Aune X1s GT (320 USD, a nice little dac/amp) it's a real improvment😀and even more if u get the 100 USD off...

Apr 10, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #33 of 190
Hey @DeweyCH, what do you think of using the NOS vs OS gain levels on the unit?

I have tested both and not really hearing much of a difference other than a few technical issues. For example, there was some popping/crackling noise once. I reached out to Hifiman's customer service and they told me to restart both the PC and the EF400 which did work. I was only hearing this noise when using the NOS gain levels. However, Just last night I had another issue with the NOS setting where I was hearing some static. I didn't restart the unit as before and not hearing it currently today.. but does have me concern thinking there might be a bigger issue.
Hi @rjones36 ,

Please be assured that the popping/crackling noise is not a big issue, which can be easily solved by a restart and would not be a repeated problem. The EF400 is designed to be very sensitive to the USB and power supply system, by using a high-quality USB cable and power conditioner, you may find the sound quality gets even better.

As for the difference between NOS & OS, there may not be an obvious difference in timbre, but the OS usually sounds natural whereas the NOS is balanced and neutral.

If there are still any problems, please feel free to email us at customerservice@hifiman.com, we will always be at your service. :-D

Best regards,
April

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Apr 12, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #34 of 190
Hi @rjones36 ,

Please be assured that the popping/crackling noise is not a big issue, which can be easily solved by a restart and would not be a repeated problem. The EF400 is designed to be very sensitive to the USB and power supply system, by using a high-quality USB cable and power conditioner, you may find the sound quality gets even better.

As for the difference between NOS & OS, there may not be an obvious difference in timbre, but the OS usually sounds natural whereas the NOS is balanced and neutral.

If there are still any problems, please feel free to email us at customerservice@hifiman.com, we will always be at your service. :-D

Best regards,
April
Is a "high-quality USB cable" included? :ksc75smile:

Apr 12, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #35 of 190
Is a "high-quality USB cable" included? :ksc75smile:
Actually no USB cable is included in the purchase.

I was also using a high quality Audioquest USB cable when my issues did occur, for those who might be curious.

Also, I may not own a power conditioner, but this unit was the only one giving me the problem that I was seeing. The other Dac's I own are the Smsl Dac V2, iFi Zen One, Topping D90se, and the Topping E50. None of these Dacs presented this same issue for me.

Apr 12, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #37 of 190
Odd that they would not include anything...
I'm still undecided about getting this amp. Wanted to try something other than the Asgard, and this seemed like an upgrade for not too much money.
It has been a while for myself owning the Asgard, great amp for the price. I think the EF400 is a solid all-in-one for the power that it provides. I would say if you have something that demands a little more than the Asgard is giving you, which I know that amp does pretty well at for most headphones, then maybe I would suggest it? The other thing you can do is use this all-in-one and the Asgard together. Might be an interesting pair if you don't already own a R2R dac.

Apr 12, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #38 of 190
It has been a while for myself owning the Asgard, great amp for the price. I think the EF400 is a solid all-in-one for the power that it provides. I would say if you have something that demands a little more than the Asgard is giving you, which I know that amp does pretty well at for most headphones, then maybe I would suggest it? The other thing you can do is use this all-in-one and the Asgard together. Might be an interesting pair if you don't already own a R2R dac.
I'm currently just powering the Edition XS with an Asgard 3 & Modi 3+ DAC.

Apr 12, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #39 of 190
I'm currently just powering the Edition XS with an Asgard 3 & Modi 3+ DAC.
Yea I don't think it would be worth it to purchase the all-in-one. I don't think you will hear much of a difference. Unless you wish to have a balance amplifier and/or maybe wish to have another setup elsewhere. Honestly you are good where you are at for now.

Apr 12, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #40 of 190
Yea I don't think it would be worth it to purchase the all-in-one. I don't think you will hear much of a difference. Unless you wish to have a balance amplifier and/or maybe wish to have another setup elsewhere. Honestly you are good where you are at for now.
I asked about balanced on the XS thread and all that information somehow left me more confused :laughing:

Apr 12, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #41 of 190
I asked about balanced on the XS thread and all that information somehow left me more confused :laughing:
So I am guessing here, but probably what was talked about is that with planars they really can sound there best with more current than power. This is where you can get into looking for higher "current" output, such as something like a Burson amp for example. What this can lead to is maybe tighten up the low-end for example and also depending how much you are willing to spend can then lead to maybe more staging and airiness between instruments.

Your Asgard has plenty of power and I think if you were to pickup the EF400 I am not sure you would gain anything. From what I understand the EF400 is 4 watts at 36 ohms and your Asgard is 3.5 watts at 32 ohms. The Edition XS is a 16 ohm headphone, but it's sensitivity is a bit lower at 93 db which is why folks will suggest looking at a balance amp, simply because they usually have the better output in terms of power and voltage. They only other reason to maybe look at a balance setup is if you are experiencing ground loop issues, if you are not then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Balance doesn't always mean that it will sound better... unless you need more power than what a given single-ended amp is producing for a given headphone. Meaning if you are running out of headroom, then you might want to do some research on what maybe a step up would be from your current setup.

Apr 20, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #42 of 190
Hi @rjones36 ,

Best regards,
April
I connected my EF400 via USB to my PC, windows sees the amp, but get drivers not installed message. Went to HifiMan support page and couldnt find drivers there.
Any idea where to get the drivers?

1650430340396.png

Apr 20, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #43 of 190
I connected my EF400 via USB to my PC, windows sees the amp, but get drivers not installed message. Went to HifiMan support page and couldnt find drivers there.
Any idea where to get the drivers?

1650430340396.png
Yea I did not find any drivers on there website. I did not experience any problems with setting up the unit with windows. It found the device with no issues on my end. I would suggest maybe shoot them an email and see what they say.

Apr 23, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #45 of 190
Hey @DeweyCH, what do you think of using the NOS vs OS gain levels on the unit?

I have tested both and not really hearing much of a difference other than a few technical issues. For example, there was some popping/crackling noise once. I reached out to Hifiman's customer service and they told me to restart both the PC and the EF400 which did work. I was only hearing this noise when using the NOS gain levels. However, Just last night I had another issue with the NOS setting where I was hearing some static. I didn't restart the unit as before and not hearing it currently today.. but does have me concern thinking there might be a bigger issue.

Had the same issue. I tested some more, for me it was only on the left channel and most noticeable on 44.1 base clock when the music is low volume. Restarting did fix it for me thou

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back