HiFiMAN EF2A vs Fiio E12?
Mar 3, 2016 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Ethan Chan

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Currently this is my audio setup:
-Macbook Pro Retina 13" (2013)
-Micromega MyDac (Never used, since there is no headphone jack)
-Audio Technica ATH-M50x

I listen to Spotify Premium.

So I feel like I want an upgrade. Should I buy a new pair of cans and a headphone amp? HiFiMAN EF2A's? Fiio E12's? If yes, which ones? Should I buy speakers so that I can use my Micromega MyDac? Should I only buy a headphone amp? Need some help deciding what to do. My budget is flexible, but I am not spending a ton of money though. I'd say maximum $500USD given that it would drastically improve my setup. 

By the way products I am looking at are:
JDL Labs Objective 2 (Amp)
HiFiMAN EF2A (Amp)
Fiio E12 (Amp)
Beyerdynamic DT770PRO (250/600?)

Thanks

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #2 of 3
Get a HD 600/650 along with the Fiio E12 or maybe an even cheaper Amp.

The can will make the biggest difference.

If you want some other can, feel free to. Alongside you can get a Fiio E10k or Fiio E12 or some other portable amp. Portable amps serve a dual purpose.

These amps may not sound better than the MacBook, but they will definitely go much louder. And that is what a transparent amp needs to do.

Fiio is the most VFM brand in budget portable amps.

If you don't need portable, you can also consider the O2 or the Magni or even Project Starlight or Vali.

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #3 of 3
Get a HD 600/650 along with the Fiio E12 or maybe an even cheaper Amp.

The can will make the biggest difference.

If you want some other can, feel free to. Alongside you can get a Fiio E10k or Fiio E12 or some other portable amp. Portable amps serve a dual purpose.

These amps may not sound better than the MacBook, but they will definitely go much louder. And that is what a transparent amp needs to do.

Fiio is the most VFM brand in budget portable amps.

If you don't need portable, you can also consider the O2 or the Magni or even Project Starlight or Vali.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back