Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Oct 19, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #2,026 of 2,791
Hey - would anyone know, how does the Edition XS compare to the Ananda Stealth?

Am looking to buy a pair of headphones and I cant decide between the two. I've tried a demo unit of the XS but cant find a demo unit for Ananda Stealth sadly...

Oct 19, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #2,027 of 2,791
Oct 20, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #2,028 of 2,791
Because closed back headphones are second thought and i would even call ''inferior'' if you don't need it's isolation. Industry's main focus is open back headphones and there are way more notable open back headphones out there. I haven't heard it but i wouldn't be surprised if HD820 has bigger soundstage than 90% of open backs.
Open back design brings different benefits. Soundstage is not one of them in my opinion. They sound more open, transparent, natural and realistic.
Closed are as a category, inferior in sound I would totally agree.

They do have their purpose of course (isolation and privacy) and personally with some I really enjoy with the emphasized bass/color they bring to the table but for pure fidelity sake - open.

When you close ear cups it just gives it more of a reverberated quality to bass/sound (which can be fun with some genres).

I think the vast amount of people with a lot of headphone experience would agree with you.

I personally have a smaller portion of money spent on my closed back collection relative to my open backs. Just don't find it worth spending big money on closed backs.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #2,029 of 2,791
Oh crap, I didn't think to look in there because I don't typically shop there - thanks for the shout on AV one hahaha.

Thanks for the link - only thing is I'm not sure if the comparison in that review is against the previous release of the Ananda, or the new one with stealth magnets. For how well-loved the Edition XS is I'm surprised that I don't see a lot of talk about these... hahahaha

Thanks and wishing you a great rest of the week ahead

Oct 20, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #2,030 of 2,791
Oh crap, I didn't think to look in there because I don't typically shop there - thanks for the shout on AV one hahaha.

Thanks for the link - only thing is I'm not sure if the comparison in that review is against the previous release of the Ananda, or the new one with stealth magnets. For how well-loved the Edition XS is I'm surprised that I don't see a lot of talk about these... hahahaha

Thanks and wishing you a great rest of the week ahead

The folks at AV One should be able to help you with your needs. It's my go to shop, great service and good discounts as well :thumbsup:

Oct 20, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #2,031 of 2,791
The folks at AV One should be able to help you with your needs. It's my go to shop, great service and good discounts as well :thumbsup:
Thank you for the shout on AV One, they're awesome. For anyone based in Singapore, yeah they are indeed the only ones here with a demo unit for Ananda Stealth... hahaha

Oct 20, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #2,032 of 2,791
I recently grabbed a pair of these as I have been wanting to try the XS for some time now.

These are huge, almost comically large headphones. Comfortable though.

Impressions to come but off the top, wow - exceptional levels of detail. I'm hearing a whole lot of fidelity out of these drivers.

Seems like a microscope into my music, like 4k not 1080p.

I think the bass kick is impressive. It's very fast on its toes too, hits solidly but never muddies up this excellent fidelity.

These sound to me more detailed and clear than most of what I have heard and well outside of the price they sell for.

The very large cups do give a really good soundstage and the imaging sounds very tight too.

Very impressed, was not expecting this level of performance from them.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #2,034 of 2,791
Thank you for the shout on AV One, they're awesome. For anyone based in Singapore, yeah they are indeed the only ones here with a demo unit for Ananda Stealth... hahaha

You're welcome :thumbsup: Andy and Jeremy are great guys. :ok_hand: They will help you with your purchase and you won't feel pressured in any way. That's why they are always my go to shops (other one is Jaben).

Will soon drop by Av One as well, itching to try their new comers...

Oct 22, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #2,036 of 2,791
Had someone tried the ifi Gryphon with Hifiman Edition XS ? I am having this combo and it sounds ok. I am using foobar 2000 from PC over usb with max volume on foobar(100% not over). Over 87 volume on ifi Gryphon for bassy songs I feel the vibrations too much and it doesnt sound good leading to a muddy bass feeling... Using Xbass and XSpace on. Turning this 2 off the vibrations are not that strong anymore(still there) but the bass is anemic... The same vibrations I get if I use LDAC bluetooth from Samsung S10+ max volume on phone and 87 volume on Gryphon.

After this volume the cans picks a lot of vibrations on bassy songs like ATB - Ecstasys (Morten Granau Remix) at the 55 sec mark when the bass kicks in... maybe the volume is too much ? But I dont feel it like so loud... it is loud but not hurting my ears. Again this is ONLY for bassy songs or the real bassy portion of a song. All other songs without heavy bass sounds superbly.

I have the same vibrations behaviour using Edition XS with ifi Zen Stack (zen dacv2 + zen can using balanced between) when I use +6 gain for the Zen Can and the volume more than a half (over 12 o'clock mark).

I am using a quality balanced cable. I tried to upload the song maybe someone else could give it a try but it is too large and also not sure if is ok/permited to share flacs here so I am pasting the youtube link even if is not flac quality you can hear the bass strong and personaly I feel it the same as the flac( 55 sec mark the bass kicks in):

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #2,037 of 2,791
Had someone tried the ifi Gryphon with Hifiman Edition XS ? I am having this combo and it sounds ok. I am using foobar 2000 from PC over usb with max volume on foobar(100% not over). Over 87 volume on ifi Gryphon for bassy songs I feel the vibrations too much and it doesnt sound good leading to a muddy bass feeling... Using Xbass and XSpace on. Turning this 2 off the vibrations are not that strong anymore(still there) but the bass is anemic... The same vibrations I get if I use LDAC bluetooth from Samsung S10+ max volume on phone and 87 volume on Gryphon.

After this volume the cans picks a lot of vibrations on bassy songs like ATB - Ecstasys (Morten Granau Remix) at the 55 sec mark when the bass kicks in... maybe the volume is too much ? But I dont feel it like so loud... it is loud but not hurting my ears. Again this is ONLY for bassy songs or the real bassy portion of a song. All other songs without heavy bass sounds superbly.

I have the same vibrations behaviour using Edition XS with ifi Zen Stack (zen dacv2 + zen can using balanced between) when I use +6 gain for the Zen Can and the volume more than a half (over 12 o'clock mark).

I am using a quality balanced cable. I tried to upload the song maybe someone else could give it a try but it is too large and also not sure if is ok/permited to share flacs here so I am pasting the youtube link even if is not flac quality you can hear the bass strong and personaly I feel it the same as the flac( 55 sec mark the bass kicks in):

I have the xCAN and it's the same power. Running them balanced sounds like total crap with any filters on especially. Not enough juice for the XS.

Oct 22, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #2,038 of 2,791
After being on the fence about purchasing these for months, I finally made the decision to order and they arrived today. I have small head so these have practically no clamp and all of the weight is focused right on the top of my head. Caused me enough discomfort after an hour that I needed a break.

Is there a generally recommended hotspot solution? Geekria pad?

Oct 22, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #2,039 of 2,791
After being on the fence about purchasing these for months, I finally made the decision to order and they arrived today. I have small head so these have practically no clamp and all of the weight is focused right on the top of my head. Caused me enough discomfort after an hour that I needed a break.

I got Geekria Sennheiser headband pads (both 600 and 650 style) and couldn't recommend them enough. I'm another small head guy I needed to do something. This was a cheap, easy and quite effective solution.

Oct 23, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #2,040 of 2,791

Works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back