Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Aug 19, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #1,936 of 2,791
So, with my new headband I've mostly eliminated the noise. But, I still seem to be getting the occasional creek. Again, not a deal-breaker. Just annoying.

Has anyone tried shooting some WD-40 into the space where the yoke arms emerge from the headband? I think I'll give that a shot today.
Don't do that w/o airtight protection for both sides of both drivers. Than let it sit for a few minutes in an open env. before taking off the protection.

Paranoid?

After seeing/and also creating my own fouled mylar drivers on Martin-Logans and Maggie's - I don't leave my planars out after use. The OG box might be good enough but constant opening and closing tends to wear out the box for resale.

I keep the cables on, I use one large air tight plastic bin and snap them in every time. Get 3 sets of those currently in use the others in Ziploc bags in a wood chest. Think that is overkill?

Smoking, cooking fumes, outdoor BBQ thru the windows. Powerful magnets draw particles, airborne oils and smoke and other stuff get on the Mylar which is super thin and light - maybe 2 or 3 mils thick. How much dust, guck get stuck to the Mylar? Slows them down, might even damage the mylar. Might degrade the solder and voice coils. Dust covers? Better than not but hardly enough.

I have 2 used ones. I've wondered how to clean them. Not convinced on what i've found
so far. But they don't get worse.

Also stop leaving your cans on those stands that compress the pads and maybe deform the head strap. Pads are expensive and you don't want the oils from your last meal using a hot pan/wok getting on your precious drivers - right?

Aug 19, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #1,937 of 2,791
Don't do that w/o airtight protection for both sides of both drivers. Than let it sit for a few minutes in an open env. before taking off the protection.

Paranoid?

After seeing/and also creating my own fouled mylar drivers on Martin-Logans and Maggie's - I don't leave my planars out after use. The OG box might be good enough but constant opening and closing tends to wear out the box for resale.

I keep the cables on, I use one large air tight plastic bin and snap them in every time. Get 3 sets of those currently in use the others in Ziploc bags in a wood chest. Think that is overkill?

Smoking, cooking fumes, outdoor BBQ thru the windows. Powerful magnets draw particles, airborne oils and smoke and other stuff get on the Mylar which is super thin and light - maybe 2 or 3 mils thick. How much dust, guck get stuck to the Mylar? Slows them down, might even damage the mylar. Might degrade the solder and voice coils. Dust covers? Better than not but hardly enough.
Too late. Already applied and worked perfectly. Completely eliminated the creaking sound and there don't seem to be any negative effects.

Now, if anyone could suggest how to make them sound like a Susvara, I'd be all set. :jecklinsmile:

In all honesty, however, these things are spectacular for the price. Now let's see how long I can hold out before I push the button on a pair of Aryas. :fearful:

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #1,938 of 2,791
Too late. Already applied and worked perfectly. Completely eliminated the creaking sound and there don't seem to be any negative effects.
It's additive and over time - if at all in this particular case.

Aug 20, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #1,939 of 2,791
Does anyone know any audio shops in eastern Virginia USA (between Richmond and Virginia Beach) that has these available for demo? I’d really like to put these on my head before ordering. I know I could simply use Amazon but would like to see if there’s another alternative.

Also willing to trade a 6 pack of cold beverages if anyone in my area has a pair for a 10 minute demo. :wink:

Aug 20, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #1,940 of 2,791
Does anyone know any audio shops in eastern Virginia USA (between Richmond and Virginia Beach) that has these available for demo? I’d really like to put these on my head before ordering. I know I could simply use Amazon but would like to see if there’s another alternative.

Also willing to trade a 6 pack of cold beverages if anyone in my area has a pair for a 10 minute demo. :wink:
Why not just order them from Amazon, and return them if you don't like them?

Aug 22, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #1,941 of 2,791
Does anyone have an experience with the Focal Clear MG(MG pro) and can compare them to the Edition XS?

Aug 22, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #1,942 of 2,791
Does anyone have an experience with the Focal Clear MG(MG pro) and can compare them to the Edition XS?
I had the Clear, not the MG.
I did not like them! quickly sold them. For me the XS is better by much.
Mind you, I Have heard Stelia and Utopia since (at CanJam) and did like them a lot, just not the Clear.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #1,943 of 2,791
Mind you, I Have heard Stelia and Utopia since (at CanJam) and did like them a lot, just not the Clear.
Thanks,

What exactly did you not like?
As I read a lot, the MG fixed a lot of the annoying things from the OG.

I also had the Elear before my XS and I like the latter much better.

Aug 22, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #1,944 of 2,791
does anyone who wear glasses get creek noise from just one side? i already bought 2 headband protector thing, and still the same .... and yeah if i dont wear glasses the creek noise gone
also does change the pads might remove the creek sound? i want to try dekoni sheepskin as many people said its give so much more comfort than the original pad, but is it $160 worth? (shipping & tax here expensive)

Aug 22, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #1,945 of 2,791
does anyone who wear glasses get creek noise from just one side? i already bought 2 headband protector thing, and still the same .... and yeah if i dont wear glasses the creek noise gone
also does change the pads might remove the creek sound? i want to try dekoni sheepskin as many people said its give so much more comfort than the original pad, but is it $160 worth? (shipping & tax here expensive)
I have no problem with glasses, no additional noises.

Aug 22, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #1,946 of 2,791
I have problems with my glasses frame rubbing on the pads when I move around. Wire framed glasses (thin arms) fixed the problem.

Aug 22, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #1,947 of 2,791
Thanks,

What exactly did you not like?
As I read a lot, the MG fixed a lot of the annoying things from the OG.

I also had the Elear before my XS and I like the latter much better.
They just sounded like a £100 headphones, not £1000!
I used them with my Hugo2.
I liked nothing about them.

Aug 22, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #1,948 of 2,791
I have problems with my glasses frame rubbing on the pads when I move around. Wire framed glasses (thin arms) fixed the problem.
Yes it does, took me a week or so for finally realizing it was my glasses!
Almost returned them, before I figured it out. :smile:

Aug 22, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #1,949 of 2,791
Thank God it's not just me! I have tried the Clear and Clear MG and own the XS. I prefer the XS.

Like some Focal headphones, the Clear and Clear MG had weird tuning that just didn't sound that good with my preferred types of music (rock, alt-country, electro pop) compared to the XS. Same with the Elegia, which I owned. Weird tuning.

But like you, I have heard the Utopia and Stellia at a high-end audio store in Seattle, and both were sublime. Among the very best open-back and closed-back cans I've heard, respectively.

Unlike other brands, there doesn't seem to be a consistent Focal "house sound." I love the Utopia and Stellia and don't think they're overpriced despite being very expensive. On the other hand, I think the Celestee, Clear, Clear MG and full-priced Elegia are overpriced considering their weird tuning.

Aug 22, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #1,950 of 2,791
Thank God it's not just me! I have tried the Clear and Clear MG and own the XS. I prefer the XS.

Like some Focal headphones, the Clear and Clear MG had weird tuning that just didn't sound that good with my preferred types of music (rock, alt-country, electro pop) compared to the XS. Same with the Elegia, which I owned. Weird tuning.

But like you, I have heard the Utopia and Stellia at a high-end audio store in Seattle, and both were sublime. Among the very best open-back and closed-back cans I've heard, respectively.

Unlike other brands, there doesn't seem to be a consistent Focal "house sound." I love the Utopia and Stellia and don't think they're overpriced despite being very expensive. On the other hand, I think the Celestee, Clear, Clear MG and full-priced Elegia are overpriced considering their weird tuning.
Damn, I read several times that the Clear MG are kind of "a mini-Utopia".
I'll try to go and test them this week-end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back