Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Jan 30, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #1,187 of 2,788
I'm on Qobuz. It's treating me right but definitely missing a couple things I like

Jan 30, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #1,188 of 2,788
the one i linked should only have one size, but there are similar ones on amazon that i haven't tried. it's a really tight fit (was actually kinda hard to get the zipper started) but it's super secure and doesn't move around at all.
Hey Pok,

The XS headband gives me Hotspot issues. Did that headband cover help? I bought the medium with valour but it might not fit so I bought the one you have as well

Jan 31, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #1,189 of 2,788
Hey Pok,

The XS headband gives me Hotspot issues. Did that headband cover help? I bought the medium with valour but it might not fit so I bought the one you have as well
The comfort has actually gotten really good on these for me, so that's too bad you're getting hotspots. The clamp is still just a bit loose, but this is actually pretty good - I think most of the clamps I've had have been vice grips in comparison, so there was an adjustment period.

I'm still concerned about the leather peeling on these eventually, like on my Oppo PM-3's (one of the problems with having a protein leather/foam headband). I'll have to look into some sort of cover eventually if they don't add the Arya/HEK hybrid style headbands... fingers crossed. So hey, that's one advantage of you adding the cover on here, it'll protect the synthetic leather longer.

@millzy sooo much tempo haha, great for testing the sonic qualities of these.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #1,190 of 2,788
Wow, just read through the last 10 pages of this thread since I last posted...much contention, such passion!

Anyways, just spent the last week or so trying out the Topping DX3 Pro+ coming from a Sound Blaster AE-7. Here's some some of the differences (and lack of) I've perceived:
  • The DX3 Pro+ has a lower noise floor, even on high gain, compared to the low gain setting on the AE-7. It's not a huge difference but it's still noticeable, especially in songs that have quiet/silent parts.
  • Bass is generally cleaner on the DX3 Pro+: more articulate through the entire bass range, better distinction between notes. Put another way, the AE-7 had slightly fuller-sounding bass, at the cost of some speed and articulation. I previously compared the Ananda's bass to the XS's as being much more articulate/clean. This DAC/AMP doesn't make the XS's bass like the Ananda's (on the AE-7), but maybe 20% closer. As someone who preferred the Ananda's bass, this is actually a plus for me.
  • The treble got slightly more sibilant on the DX3 Pro+. For EQ, I had previously left everything above the 1.5k-2k dip alone on the AE-7, but I needed to bring down 12k about 3 dB once I started using the DX3 Pro+.
  • There's generally a more "exacting" sound from the DX3 Pro+. Not sure how to describe it, perhaps just faster in relation to these attributes: ADSR.
  • Overall tonality is unchanged.
  • Loudness: No difference for me here. Testing back and forth with the same songs, normalizing volume at the earcup, both are able to get louder than I can tolerate without distorting. Obviously, the DX3 Pro+ has a higher max volume (moar power), but it's a moot point.
  • Imaging is improved on the DX3 Pro+, but I think this might be related to the combination of the above differences.
Overall, I wouldn't say it's a worthwhile change for the XS alone. I'm keeping it because I prefer its cleaner sounding presentation and the lower noise floor is really nice on my more sensitive stuff like my B2D's.

Jan 31, 2022 at 4:23 AM Post #1,191 of 2,788
Just got the sundara last year (october).Is the edition xs that much better or is it different sounding? I like warm,bassy sound.But also wide soundstage and micro details.Is it worth the upgrade? How is it for movies? I have had the lcd2c a while ago and it was great.It the xs better than lcd2c.I now have the sundaras,denon ah d7200 and modhouse argon t50rp mk3.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #1,192 of 2,788

Resolve's video is up. Pretty much just a video version of the written review. He says not hard to drive off any of his desktop amps guys, so not much difference there for him. And I really appreciate that he did the Arya comparison for me - he did find it the next step up for detail/separation though. I'll have to see if this is something I can learn to distinguish going forward.

@scarfacegt I found the XS to be a worthy upgrade to the Sundara personally. But, maybe watch the above review and see what you think of Resolve's comparisons. A few things to consider, like EQ and comfort to name a couple.

@TalonFyre the sibilance range is 5-10khz, but usually more focused around 7-8khz on headphone tunings I find. The 12khz peak being very elevated is how the stock tuning of this headphone should be if uncolored, so that's crazy if those setups gave you 3 or more db difference.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #1,193 of 2,788
Just got the sundara last year (october).Is the edition xs that much better or is it different sounding? I like warm,bassy sound.But also wide soundstage and micro details.Is it worth the upgrade? How is it for movies? I have had the lcd2c a while ago and it was great.It the xs better than lcd2c.I now have the sundaras,denon ah d7200 and modhouse argon t50rp mk3.

I imagine the XS should be a significant improvement to LCD-2 when it comes to movies. Its egg shaped cups make them sound holographic with big sound and separated bass which will make watching movies a real treat.

P.S. I base the above on owning both the Arya and LCD-X which relate to XS and LCD-2 resp

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #1,195 of 2,788
Jan 31, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #1,196 of 2,788

Resolve's video is up. Pretty much just a video version of the written review. He says not hard to drive off any of his desktop amps guys, so not much difference there for him. And I really appreciate that he did the Arya comparison just for me - he did find it the next step up for detail/separation though. I'll have to see if this is something I can learn to distinguish going forward.

@scarfacegt I found the XS to be a worthy upgrade to the Sundara personally. But, maybe watch the above review and see what you think of Resolve's comparisons. A few things to consider, like EQ and comfort to name a couple.

@TalonFyre the sibilance range is 5-10khz, but usually more focused around 7-8khz on headphone tunings I find. The 12khz peak being very elevated is how the stock tuning of this headphone should be if uncolored, so that's crazy if those setups gave you 3 or more db difference.

Great review! Had me glued to the screen.

Would have loved if he went a little deeper in what they potentially could be if EQ'd and driven with an emphasis on bass, which has me fan girling all over the place.

I feel I wasn't clear previously when suggesting the XS requires more power to sound good.
With no EQ and their natural intended sound profile they sound fantastic, Heck, they sound great even with my GSX1200 Gaming Dac.

With EQ specifically targeting Bass I do beleive they can be oh so much more with additonal power, comments to why I've come to this conclusion below.
The atom stack probably has enough to drive these even with the Bass profile EQ 'd as the feedback has been great.

My comments for needing significantly more power with EQ's targetting Bass come from how much you really can get from them when pushed and pushed hard.
I've said this before (apologies, broken record) but with my SP200(overkill power) with no EQ I hit around 10-11 o'clock(comfortable) and they sound fantastic but when EQ'd with an emphasis on Bass they literally push to 2-4 o'clock on High Gain! Insanity.
The depth from the variations of bass shocks & astounds me, like mentioned before, especially the sub bass.

I feel like the XS are absoluetly fantastic stock but can also be so much more if you want/need more out of them, specifically in the bass department.

That's just my 2c,
I'm so glad I came accross this thread just before pulling the trigger on the 2020 Sundara's.
Granted I've spent more time & just a little more money but the pay off has drastically exceeded my expectations.

Appreciate all the comments & reviews, even the comments which disagree with me as I'm always open to learn as I'm definitely no expert.

Jan 31, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #1,197 of 2,788
Zeos's review also came out today.

Now I wish I tried the Dekoni pads before returning the Ananda.

oh sh!t

Strapping in!

Cliff notes so far...
Ananda - brand new unworn jeans
XS - 5/6 year old worn jeans (but that's a good thing)
:laughing:
He mentions the XS has significantly more low end than the Sundara's, especially sub, stock EQ.
The bass boost on the ifi zen can does barely anything on the XS which doesn't happen on any other can. Guessing power limitations?
Basically says the XS is worth the higher price over the Sundara's but wasn't comfortable saying it yet because of the approval ratings of the Sundara's is so high.
Stock XS wipes the floor with the stock Ananda.
XS doesn't need a pad change, stock pads sound great.
He was about to throw the Ananda's away then tried the new dakoni sheepskin pads which changed everything and deemed them the best on the table. Unsure by how much. Once again, didn't mention or test EQ's targetting Bass.
Hoping for a follow up review and deep dive.

Great review, always a laugh with Zeos.

Glad the XS are getting the attention they deserve.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #1,198 of 2,788
Great review! Had me glued to the screen.

Would have loved if he went a little deeper in what they potentially could be if EQ'd and driven with an emphasis on bass, which has me fan girling all over the place.

I feel I wasn't clear previously when suggesting the XS requires more power to sound good.
With no EQ and their natural intended sound profile they sound fantastic, Heck, they sound great even with my GSX1200 Gaming Dac.

With EQ specifically targeting Bass I do beleive they can be oh so much more with additonal power, comments to why I've come to this conclusion below.
The atom stack probably has enough to drive these even with the Bass profile EQ 'd as the feedback has been great.

My comments for needing significantly more power with EQ's targetting Bass come from how much you really can get from them when pushed and pushed hard.
I've said this before (apologies, broken record) but with my SP200(overkill power) with no EQ I hit around 10-11 o'clock(comfortable) and they sound fantastic but when EQ'd with an emphasis on Bass they literally push to 2-4 o'clock on High Gain! Insanity.
The depth from the variations of bass shocks & astounds me, like mentioned before, especially the sub bass.

I feel like the XS are absoluetly fantastic stock but can also be so much more if you want/need more out of them, specifically in the bass department.

That's just my 2c,
I'm so glad I came accross this thread just before pulling the trigger on the 2020 Sundara's.
Granted I've spent more time & just a little more money but the pay off has drastically exceeded my expectations.

Appreciate all the comments & reviews, even the comments which disagree with me as I'm always open to learn as I'm definitely no expert.

Yes. It will be interesting to see if they have extremely low bass distortion profiles at high SPL like the HE-560 V4 or the (even better) HE6 SE. Or if they are more like the Ananda without as much headroom for bass EQ boost.

Jan 31, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #1,199 of 2,788
Yes. It will be interesting to see if they have extremely low bass distortion profiles at high SPL like the HE-560 V4 or the (even better) HE6 SE. Or if they are more like the Ananda without as much headroom for bass EQ boost.
Based on the ASR measurements of the Stealth Arya and also based on my ears, I think it'll be pretty good:

1643659475455.png

Which is maybe not astoundingly good but still good, and better than the Sundara which was quite a bit better than the Ananda.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #1,200 of 2,788
Which is maybe not astoundingly good but still good, and better than the Sundara which was quite a bit better than the Ananda.

That 114dB result isn't actually going to be audible due to the auditory masking effect with level. Simply put, if you're listening to music that reaches 114dB, A) that's very loud, and B) even in the rare occasion where this would happen, the only way any of this would be audible is if the distortion product is a high order harmonic (not captured by that single THD number). I'll have to double check the Arya on that, but if I recall it was mostly 2nd and 3rd, which yea... that's not going to be audible in 99% of situations.

Last edited:
headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back