Hifiman Edition X
Mar 7, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #1,816 of 4,030

I just tried.  Sound good indeed, but... not very loud.  Need to be almost at MAX volume on the iPhone !

Good that you think its good too, just for sanity check. I normally listen slightly above half of the volume on Iphone. I am just so surprise that the Tidal apps must have been using a very good sound engine as compare to spotify. I discover this by accident as I left my AK240 in my office and is force to use the iphone direct out... I am still in a bit of a shock that this kind of sound quality is coming directly our of the heapohone. but the magic is gone once I switch to other apps.Just for Tidal now.. need to explore more..

Mar 7, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #1,817 of 4,030
HEX with the mojo or Hugo is wonderful...the Iphone works but isnt really worthy of such a high end can

Mar 7, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #1,818 of 4,030
  HEX with the mojo or Hugo is wonderful...the Iphone works but isnt really worthy of such a high end can

I assume you try it with Tidal HIFI paid subscription right and not the free version as the quality is not lossless. And you also switch to HIFI quality right?

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #1,819 of 4,030

Out of my iPhone 6, the HE-X are likely the best full sized headphones I've heard "portably...or semi-portably so to speak" straight out of an iDevice. But agree, through the Mojo/iPhone 6 it is one of the very best small setups I've heard.

Mar 8, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #1,820 of 4,030
yes i have only used tidal on the highest quality setting......sounds dramatically better with hugo or mojo than the iphone alone....dramatically

Mar 8, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #1,821 of 4,030
Tempted to get this but I might get a Stax 009 alongside my HEK.

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #1,822 of 4,030

Out of my iPhone 6, the HE-X are likely the best full sized headphones I've heard "portably...or semi-portably so to speak" straight out of an iDevice. But agree, through the Mojo/iPhone 6 it is one of the very best small setups I've heard.

Thanks for feedback. Great to discover the iphone 6 pair very well with HEX. I compare all my previous iphone and itouch and none is as good as iphone 6. Technology move fast.. 

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #1,823 of 4,030
  yes i have only used tidal on the highest quality setting......sounds dramatically better with hugo or mojo than the iphone alone....dramatically

Ok thanks for the verification. I asked because the iphone 6 with Tidal sound pretty close to my AK240. But I guess the mojo or Hugo would blast the iphone 6 out of the water... heck, I think it even blast the Ak240 out of the space too.. :)

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #1,826 of 4,030
The HEX is incredibly open sounding and easy to listen to for long periods of time....it is efficient for sure but surprisingly the LCD-X is far more efficient and in fact I find the HEX a much easier listen.....I literally had to turn my Hugo way down in terms of volume to be able to listen to the LCD-X whereas the HEX which is supposed to be so efficient is in fact easier to listen to and manage......all in all I really do enjoy the HEX

Mar 8, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #1,827 of 4,030
Can HEX be driven with a powerful desktop amp like Burson CV2? Will it damage the can?

Mar 8, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #1,828 of 4,030
Can HEX be driven with a powerful desktop amp like Burson CV2? Will it damage the can?

It won't damage it...it's an ortho. I use my GS-X Mk2 with my HE-X without issue and it can output 5+W into it. Just don't turn the volume up all the way. 
tongue.gif

Mar 9, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #1,829 of 4,030

I would say that you're fine. BUT...I like to operate between 10-12 on the pot. When the HEX is paired with a strong desktop amp, I'm usually between 8-10. Some will say that there are channel imbalance and grain pitfalls at the bottom on the dial, but I've not head any. 

Mar 9, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #1,830 of 4,030

I auditioned the X out of a very high power speaker amp (250wpc) and had no issues. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back