HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Aug 29, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #8,371 of 11,921
Honestly this is the main reason I'm still sticking with the Arya Stealth and not upgrading to the HE1000 V2 (apart from the color scheme). Even with orchestral recordings, I just get so much more enjoyment out of the Arya than I remember the HEKV2 giving me when I owned it before, despite the clear differences in stage, imaging, and timbre. I think this reflects the in-person experience a bit more closely as well. When I'm in the performance hall, I feel the bass in the same way I feel the bass with the Arya. I may not even be able to locate it sonically (of course you can visually), but it helps the feeling of being caught up in the music, not only as a spectator. Listening to the soundtrack of Howl's Moving Castle today made this so obvious for me.
I can see that. I love the spatial presentation of the HEKV2. The soundscape and the space in between is impeccable. I can hear that bass texture come out when I plug it into the WA7, so I know it's possible. But the lack of power makes everything else a uncontrolled mushy and splashy mess.

Some tracks I do wish it had more impact and punch. As you do miss that engagement feeling without it. And it feels more like observing rather than being immersed and a part of it. I'm hoping something like the Forge with some moar power can bring out some grunt into the HEKV2. That would be the perfect, ideal sound for me. :)

Aug 29, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #8,372 of 11,921
I can see that. I love the spatial presentation of the HEKV2. The soundscape and the space in between is impeccable. I can hear that bass texture come out when I plug it into the WA7, so I know it's possible. But the lack of power makes everything else a uncontrolled mushy and splashy mess.

Some tracks I do wish it had more impact and punch. As you do miss that engagement feeling without it. And it feels more like observing rather than being immersed and a part of it. I'm hoping something like the Forge with some moar power can bring out some grunt into the HEKV2. That would be the perfect, ideal sound for me. :)
Yeah the WA7 doesn't look like it quite has the power for those. The thing is though, the Forge softened up my Arya compared to my solid state amp, and I'd be afraid it might do the same with the HEK. It added space, better imaging, a smoother treble, and more bass bloom, but not punch and slam, at least not compared to my THR-1.

If you want some real impact from the HEKV2, I'd actually really recommend trying the Kinki Studios THR-1. A while ago, I went back and forth with a friend's HEKV2 between his THR-1 and my then-current solid state amp, the Burson Soloist 3XP, and it was no contest. The bass had actual punch, the soundstage was a bit wider, and voices were actually a little more intimate. I ordered one from Kinki a week later for my Arya.

Last I checked Pharmaboy was selling his in the classifieds...but I'm also putting mine up for sale soon as well, as it just gets no use with the Forge.

Aug 29, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #8,373 of 11,921
Have had some pretty nice phones over the years and some decent ones now. Several of them pricey.

But I gotta say: the Arya Stealth has whupped them all and become my new favorite and perhaps my GOAT.

It's tuned to perfection, at least to my ears. It produces rich tonal color without being either bloated or bleached. It's detailed without being fatigueingly analytical. And it's soundscape is vast, with a precise, airy delineation of musical lines and production layering.

I've been late to the HiFiMan party, but I'm glad I finally arrived.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #8,374 of 11,921
Have had some pretty nice phones over the years and have some decent ones now. Several of them pricey.

But I gotta say: the Arya Stealth has whupped them all and become have my favorite now and perhaps my GOAT.

It's tuned to perfection, at least to my ears. It produces rich tonal color without being either bloated or bleached. It's detailed without being fatigueingly analytical. And it's soundscape is vast, with a precise, airy delineation of musical lines and production layering.

I've been late to the HiFiMan party, but I'm glad I finally arrived.

Is that your current cans in your sig ? My first two planars were lcd2c and then diana v2 which sounded like typical headphones, but then the arya came along and showed me whats up ! :L3000:

Aug 29, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #8,375 of 11,921
Having owned my Arya v2 for years I have v3 incoming. Amp destroyed my V2 :frowning2:

For the time being I picked up something to hold me over and pleasantly surprised. I remember when I bought the Arya it was after hearing them at an expo. Same day I had opportunity to listen to many other headphones both cheaper and more expensive than Arya. I remembered I really enjoyed the Focal Clear. I decided to pick up the Focal Clear Mg. I must say, for a dynamic driver, consider me freaking impressed. It definitely has more bass than the Arya. Once I get my Arya back I look forward to A&B them.

Aug 29, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #8,376 of 11,921
Is that your current cans in your sig ? My first two planars were lcd2c and then diana v2 which sounded like typical headphones, but then the arya came along and showed me whats up ! :L3000:
Yes, my current stable. Of course, now that I’m enjoying the Arya, my mind wanders to the 1000 and Susvara. I guess that’s just how we’re wired. Always the next thing. But I plan to savor the Arya for a spell.

Aug 30, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #8,377 of 11,921
Yes, my current stable. Of course, now that I’m enjoying the Arya, my mind wanders to the 1000 and Susvara. I guess that’s just how we’re wired. Always the next thing. But I plan to savor the Arya for a spell.
So true. I love my Edition XS. Absolutely fabulous soundstage, great bass response, excellent timbre, and instrument separation. Yet, I still think about the day I will have the Arya.

It doesn't make me enjoy the XS any less though. Loving the music now as I type this.

Aug 30, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #8,378 of 11,921
I often wonder about a Susvara Stealth... :D

Aug 30, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #8,379 of 11,921
I've had my Aryas (V3) for a month now, and I was finally able to get my modest system dialed in, and WOW, all of sudden, as I closed my eyes, the headphones vanished and all I heard was the music, with each instrument (and musician) clearly defined and placed on the stage (listening to classical live recordings).

Understand, I grew up playing double bass in the symphony from age 8 (I'm now 67), and although I'm no longer playing in an orchestra, I know how all the instruments should sound, and I was almost overwhelmed with how faithfully the Aryas recreated the sense of being in the same room with those musicians. I could hear the pads as the flutist played, and I swear I could almost tell you the brand of rosin the double bass players were using : )

Anyway, it's wonderful to be able to simply flip a few switches and listen to incredible musicians playing beautiful music anytime I feel like it.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #8,380 of 11,921
I often wonder about a Susvara Stealth... :D
Well, wonder no more; the Susvara is where the Stealth Magnet design came from originally 🙂 Since then it tricked down to almost all their other planar headphones, including the Arya.

Aug 30, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #8,381 of 11,921
I've had my Aryas (V3) for a month now, and I was finally able to get my modest system dialed in, and WOW, all of sudden, as I closed my eyes, the headphones vanished and all I heard was the music, with each instrument (and musician) clearly defined and placed on the stage (listening to classical live recordings).

Understand, I grew up playing double bass in the symphony from age 8 (I'm now 67), and although I'm no longer playing in an orchestra, I know how all the instruments should sound, and I was almost overwhelmed with how faithfully the Aryas recreated the sense of being in the same room with those musicians. I could hear the pads as the flutist played, and I swear I could almost tell you the brand of rosin the double bass players were using : )

Anyway, it's wonderful to be able to simply flip a few switches and listen to incredible musicians playing beautiful music anytime I feel like it.
That’s awesome! It’s funny, I originally bought my Ananda (my precursor to the Arya) to practice conducting technique. I needed something where I could actually “see” the positions of the instruments I needed to cue, and both the Ananda and Arya do this so well, though the Arya is a clear step up. It was a nice excuse to get into high-end audiophile headphones!!

Aug 30, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #8,382 of 11,921
Well, wonder no more; the Susvara is where the Stealth Magnet design came from originally 🙂 Since then it tricked down to almost all their other planar headphones, including the Arya.
I thought it was the first to introduce the nano diaphragm, not the stealth magnet! My bad.

Aug 30, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #8,383 of 11,921
I thought it was the first to introduce the nano diaphragm, not the stealth magnet! My bad.
I believe that was the HE1000, but I could be wrong.

Aug 30, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #8,384 of 11,921
Interesting video (and reviewer) comparing Arya Stealth vs Edition XS : sound is recorded directly from the driver.

What do you think ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back