HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Oct 14, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #5,401 of 11,922
Got my V3's in today, did a quick A/B but so far the V3 fixes the harshness/timbre of the treble. I can listen to pretty much any track on these at high volume with no fatigue compared to my V2. As already noted, the bass is also much more noticeable and full, packs much more of a punch/impact but doesn't feel bloated or bleed into the mids/highs at all. I'd say it's pretty close though to being a bit too much for my tastes personally.

The soundstage doesn't seem as large as the V2 and the sound for sure does sound closer to you compared to the V2, but I wouldn't say it's a massive difference. It's by no means intimate though, I've used HD600's for years as my main headphone so I know that sound very well.

Will do some more testing, but I think the claims of the V3 being a disaster are heavily overblown. The V3 sounds more natural for all kinds of music. Games and movies also are more enjoyable on the V3. I do admit though I like the V2 more than the V3 though on certain tracks, there isn't as much air in the treble with the V3 and with a well mastered song, I prefer the treble presentation on the V2. Going to be tough to choose between the V2 and V3 though.
What amp n DAC r u using?

Oct 14, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #5,402 of 11,922
Are you able to articulate why games and movies are more enjoyable on the V3? I saw someone else say the same thing, and I'm curious what's making the difference.

For movies, the bass impact. I haven't tried EQing the V2 yet to see if I can get a similar result. In addition, my test clip for sibilance in dialogue is so much better on the V3.

For gaming, I think the imaging is more accurate on the V3. On the V2 I would hear things and turn to it but it was not where I expected the sound to come from. With the V3, it's not perfect but I found it more accurate. I would imagine the treble hump of the V2 being more useful to hear things but the imaging I think is stronger on the V3.
What amp n DAC r u using?

Nothing fancy, just an Atom and Modi 3 for now. Going to be upgrading soon.

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #5,403 of 11,922
Did you ever try the ares 2 with A90 to see if you could fine a sweet spot between treble sizzle and mid-bass bloat?

I have a soloist and Ares ii in the mail as we speak so you've got me a little concerned tbh.
On my 1st listen without the 100hr burn in on the Pontus 2 already out classes the Ares 2 buy a 1000 miles a substantial upgrade also the Soloist 3x compliments the Pontus so well. Sound comparisons the Pontus 2 sounds more larger bigger more weight and instruments seemed to be locked down for more pinpoint accuracy more depth layers in the music the bass hits hard and tight. With the Nos mode on when I want to listen to softer easy listening music and OS mode for harder hitting music.

Listening to Sabrina Claudio - Tell Me (Acoustic) version : I can hear the reverb of the guitar strings plucks and drums longer and more detail in the mids the highs are well extended without ever hearing any sibalance. Female vocals sound warm sweet and inviting.

Since u have the Soloist 3x I would send the Ares 2 back and save alittle more for the Pontus 2. The Ares 2 is a excellent entry for Quality r2r DACs but as a Audiophile nut like me the lack of low end and loss of dynamics might want you craving more. What the Ares does well is excellent detail and instrument seperation more airy vocals and top end space between instruments beats out DACs like D90se , bitfrost 2, in that department also has a nice analogue sound. Just the Pontus 2 does everything better with additional information and Weight , clarity and slam.

Am using the Arya V2 we'll post my review thoughts about the V3 tomorrow when I receive it.

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #5,404 of 11,922
For movies, the bass impact. I haven't tried EQing the V2 yet to see if I can get a similar result. In addition, my test clip for sibilance in dialogue is so much better on the V3.

For gaming, I think the imaging is more accurate on the V3. On the V2 I would hear things and turn to it but it was not where I expected the sound to come from. With the V3, it's not perfect but I found it more accurate. I would imagine the treble hump of the V2 being more useful to hear things but the imaging I think is stronger on the V3.

Nothing fancy, just an Atom and Modi 3 for now. Going to be upgrading soon.
Any thoughts on what u want to upgrade to? If your going to keep the v2 u might want to use a warmer sounding chain because the V2 can sound sibalant at times

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #5,405 of 11,922
Any thoughts on what u want to upgrade to? If your going to keep the v2 u might want to use a warmer sounding chain because the V2 can sound sibalant at times
If I were to keep the V2, it would def. be a class A amp and a neutral/warm DAC. I've heard some people here say that can help with the treble, but someone here also mentioned they had a Soloist and that the V2 was still harsh, so...

If I keep the V3, I'm not really sure. I don't think the sound needs any additional warmth honestly, so a lot more options open up...

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #5,406 of 11,922
If I were to keep the V2, it would def. be a class A amp and a neutral/warm DAC. I've heard some people here say that can help with the treble, but someone here also mentioned they had a Soloist and that the V2 was still harsh, so...

If I keep the V3, I'm not really sure. I don't think the sound needs any additional warmth honestly, so a lot more options open up...
And the v3 is easier to drive...

Oct 14, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #5,410 of 11,922
Good technicalities, weird tuning (especially in the upper midrange and treble). I'd give it a listen first, as it's not a "blind buy" kinda headphone IMO.

Spot on. @Korean audiophile If you enjoy the tuning of the Verite or can dial it in with some patient experimentation with tube-rolling, you'll be rewarded with excellent timbre. However, on technical prowess, the Arya surpasses the VO. Plus, while tuning is still subjective, the planar Arya distorts much less with EQ and generally requires less precise and less numerous adjustments to get it tuned to taste. I'd take the Arya over the VO unless you've already got a tube amp and an array of tubes to tinker with. Or, I guess if acquiring those in addition to the VO is appealing.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #5,411 of 11,922
Spot on. @Korean audiophile If you enjoy the tuning of the Verite or can dial it in with some patient experimentation with tube-rolling, you'll be rewarded with excellent timbre. However, on technical prowess, the Arya surpasses the VO. Plus, while tuning is still subjective, the planar Arya distorts much less with EQ and generally requires less precise and less numerous adjustments to get it tuned to taste. I'd take the Arya over the VO unless you've already got a tube amp and an array of tubes to tinker with. Or, I guess if acquiring those in addition to the VO is appealing.
Yea I think I'll pass no time for tubes and pad rolling. Have u auditioned or own V3 yet? Getting mine tomorrow but I have 30days to return.

Oct 14, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #5,412 of 11,922
Yea I think I'll pass no time for tubes and pad rolling. Have u auditioned or own V3 yet? Getting mine tomorrow but I have 30days to return.

I've got the v2, so updated mesh, but no Stealth magnets on mine. I haven't heard a v3 yet. I've been very pleased with the v2 though, so it'll probably be a while before I look to replace it. By then, we'll all be wondering about the Drop x HiFiMan AryaSE X v4, no doubt... :smile:

Oct 14, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #5,414 of 11,922
This just in... I think I'm beginning to understand what I'm dealing with in the v3. It is definitely more dynamic and punchy vs the v2. It's got a little thump to it. It's more up-front and has excellent tonality - the occasionally plasticky, off sounding timbre of the v2 has been reduced a great deal if not totally dealt with in the v3. When I first took them out of the box and put them on to listen they seemed pretty bright and seemed to have a much smaller soundstage (vs v2, still not small though) but after a few nights of pink noise at slightly louder than regular listening volume (being careful to have a break every 90 mins), the soundstage has started to open up more and get more layered. It's still up front but now the soundstage is expanding and the imaging fills up the space nicely and with great detail and layering - without feeling that something's missing or anything's too distant. Seems like I'm getting all the music - it's very detailed and textured. It's transparent and vocals have very good texture. Sometimes I think the vocals are too close to my head but then the chorus or instrumentation comes in and the space gets greatly expanded with width and a sense of distance/space. Chameleon-like. I'm enjoying them now but I think the best is yet to come with more burn in and time on them. I've only got ~20 hours on them now. Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #5,415 of 11,922
This just in... I think I'm beginning to understand what I'm dealing with in the v3. It is definitely more dynamic and punchy vs the v2. It's got a little thump to it. It's more up-front and has excellent tonality - the occasionally plasticky, off sounding timbre of the v2 has been reduced a great deal if not totally dealt with in the v3. When I first took them out of the box and put them on to listen they seemed pretty bright and seemed to have a much smaller soundstage (vs v2, still not small though) but after a few nights of pink noise at slightly louder than regular listening volume (being careful to have a break every 90 mins), the soundstage has started to open up more and get more layered. It's still up front but now the soundstage is expanding and the imaging fills up the space nicely and with great detail and layering - without feeling that something's missing or anything's too distant. Seems like I'm getting all the music - it's very detailed and textured. It's transparent and vocals have very good texture. Sometimes I think the vocals are too close to my head but then the chorus or instrumentation comes in and the space gets greatly expanded with width and a sense of distance/space. Chameleon-like. I'm enjoying them now but I think the best is yet to come with more burn in and time on them. I've only got ~20 hours on them now. Hope this helps someone.
Does the vocals have air like the v2 and how's the micro dynamics compared to the V2 the V2 sounds underwhelming for harder hitting music because it's lack of dynamics does the V3 solve these issues?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back