HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Nov 20, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #2,656 of 11,921
I have an ifi micro idsd signature.
I tested both in ifi. I hear a lot of genres (rock, pop, ost, edm, metal, something of classical)..
Ifi has potential to drive arya without problems.

Thanks, good to know :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 20, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #2,657 of 11,921
Hi
I would like to know if my arya is the first edition or the second, how can I know?
I also wanted to ask you if at high volumes in songs with a lot of sub-bass you notice distortion?, Something similar to what happened with some focal headphones.
I had some elears that I returned because anything with a subbass sounded bad.
With these arya it has only happened to me in 2 or 3. For example, in 2049 blade runner ost , there is distortion.
Neither my ananda nor my fostex th900 distort.
I would like to know if it happens to all of you or if it will be a driver failure. The strange thing is that in many other songs with a sub-bass it does not happen. I play on an ifi micro idsd signature and except for this problem it sounds great, but in ultra gain over 13 o'clock it distorts with the blade runner 2049 ost.
Since other headphones don't distort in this track on ifi, then ifi isnt the problem
Thank you.

Nov 20, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #2,658 of 11,921
Hi
I would like to know if my arya is the first edition or the second, how can I know?
I also wanted to ask you if at high volumes in songs with a lot of sub-bass you notice distortion?, Something similar to what happened with some focal headphones.
I had some elears that I returned because anything with a subbass sounded bad.
With these arya it has only happened to me in 2 or 3. For example, in 2049 blade runner ost , there is distortion.
Neither my ananda nor my fostex th900 distort.
I would like to know if it happens to all of you or if it will be a driver failure. The strange thing is that in many other songs with a sub-bass it does not happen. I play on an ifi micro idsd signature and except for this problem it sounds great, but in ultra gain over 13 o'clock it distorts with the blade runner 2049 ost.
Since other headphones don't distort in this track on ifi, then ifi isnt the problem
Thank you.

I don't know anything about how to know if it's a first or second edition but I can tell you the bass never distorts even at high volume. I've gone up all the way with the bass on my Loki just to test it and the Arya had no issues with the bass. Now I don't know if you listen at ear-bleeding levels but for what I consider loud it works fine.

Nov 20, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #2,659 of 11,921
Hi
Listening to the same volume, the fostex does not distort and arya does. It occurs in very few tracks.
A very strange thing is in tidal with tina turner's private dancer mqa, the version of the album "tina" at high volume distorts, that of the album "all the best" does not. It's weird, it makes me think that some mqa may also be wrong, but when I believe that I hear it in fostex and zero distortion.
Perhaps the distortion threshold of arya is reached earlier.
It is not clear to me to send the headphones to technical service since the distortion may be inherent to certain volumes at certain frequencies.
Cheers

Nov 21, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #2,660 of 11,921
Hi
In my hifiman ananda I used the meze silver plated cable and it gave them an extra shine that improved them.
On the other hand, in ls arya, it does not suit them, I have switched to the serial cable and they sound better to me now, they have gained body and the highs are more neutral.
My question is, do you notice the same as me?
What cable do you use?
Could i feel difference between serial cable to a brand copper cable, like forza?
I don't need it to be balanced since I will reproduce on my ifi micro idsd signature that gives the same power for both outputs.
Cheers

Nov 21, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #2,661 of 11,921
Hi
Listening to the same volume, the fostex does not distort and arya does. It occurs in very few tracks.
A very strange thing is in tidal with tina turner's private dancer mqa, the version of the album "tina" at high volume distorts, that of the album "all the best" does not. It's weird, it makes me think that some mqa may also be wrong, but when I believe that I hear it in fostex and zero distortion.
Perhaps the distortion threshold of arya is reached earlier.
It is not clear to me to send the headphones to technical service since the distortion may be inherent to certain volumes at certain frequencies.
Cheers

Distortion indicates that the ifi amplifier is clipping. The power and current delivered by the ifi is not adequate for the arya .

Sorry for my english

Nov 21, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #2,662 of 11,921
Distortion indicates that the ifi amplifier is clipping. The power and current delivered by the ifi is not adequate for the arya .

Sorry for my english

Hi.
I do not think that it is a problem with the ifi, since in ultra gain with the roulette at 12 it sounds very strong and at 14 I cannot pass in any song. Never distort except in those songs
It only happens on some tracks with a lot of bass or sub-bass and on others with the same amount, no, it's very strange
Cheers

Nov 21, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #2,663 of 11,921
Hi.
I do not think that it is a problem with the ifi, since in ultra gain with the roulette at 12 it sounds very strong and at 14 I cannot pass in any song. Never distort except in those songs
It only happens on some tracks with a lot of bass or sub-bass and on others with the same amount, no, it's very strange
Cheers
I hear some distortion with my set also, with the Schiit Magnius. @[OverDrive] sounds like he's in the right ballpark about the iFi clipping. My Magnius distorts/clips, in just the left channel. My Emotiva a-100 doesn't clip at all, playing the same tracks. Planars require more current, vs voltage, from an amplifier. Most amps supply adequate voltage but some don't do well with current. I'd switch sources and amps to eliminate driver problems, if it only happens with the iFi there's your focus.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #2,664 of 11,921
I'm still looking for impressions on driving Arya with Monoprice 887/ Drop 789, vs topping A90.

Nov 21, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #2,666 of 11,921
The arya doesnt sound good with the THX amps due to both being transparent. Its sounds treble harsh and lifeless. A90 would sound better IMO.

Nov 21, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #2,667 of 11,921
The arya doesnt sound good with the THX amps due to both being transparent. Its sounds treble harsh and lifeless. A90 would sound better IMO.
Thanks for the reply. Which do you have? I ask because I'm thinking of leveling up. Have a Magnius now and feeling it's limitations. IRL doesn't seem as powerful driving Arya. I'm looking for transparent...I've got a neutral/warm-ish DAC. How's the bass quality/quantity on your unit?

Nov 21, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #2,668 of 11,921
I had the 887 and the arya. Sold both. The arya i had had awful channel imbalance and the 887 was a poor match. Bass was decent with the arya. before i sold it, i tried the Arya with my GSX-mini and it sounded light years better than the 887.

Nov 21, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #2,670 of 11,921
i had two aryas. One bought brand new from retail. and the other bought from a member from this forum. Both cans had the exact same issue. The left channel had lower volume than the right. As a result, the voice, which is typically recorded in the center of the sound stage was shifted a little to the right. The right channel basically sounded louder. It had more bass, treble, everything. This was a deal breaker for me. for a $1.5k headphone, this should never be acceptable. So I sold both.

TBH, this is very common with hifiman cans. I had the same issues with my THREE pairs of Sundaras. Except, with those, the left channel was louder instead of the right LOL. Honestly, ive had with Hifiman headphones. One of, if not the worst QC of any headphone company that ive dealt with. I was actually considering buying a HE1000se but the qc issues have put me off big time.

Do yourself a favor, if you face channel imbalnce issues with your Arya or any other Hifiman Headphones, contact customer service and get a refund. Chances are, if they send you a replacement, it might also have the same issue. hifiman doesnt seem to understand the importance of QC. Also, if you are considering buying a hifiman can from the buy/sale section here in Headfi, ask the seller about QC issues. I made the mistake and payed dearly for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back