Hifiman Ananda
Jan 7, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #4,231 of 4,987
Had these for a week now and I'm having a great time :D

I've owned the HE500, Sundara, Edition X v2, HE400i but only currently have the 400se. So I only have the 400se on hand to directly compare.

I'm keeping both. But this is because the he400se are that good. Madness considering the price difference. Main differences are thus:

Ananda: larger imaging/sense of space. More mid-bass, smoother lower treble. V shaped FR, hotter at around 8-10khz.

HE400se: Smaller imaging (though same soundstage width), kind of pillar box as opposed to circular. Tighter and slightly more quantity sub-bass, more linear as it reaches mids. No midbass hump. Hotter at around 5khz, smoother at 8-10khz.

Mids are pretty much the same on both headphones. Relaxed with no emphasis that stands out. Standard Hifiman dip around 1khz. You either like this or you don't. I personally do, but it's a no no for rock music imo. You lose the real texture of electric guitar for example. Hd600/650 or any Grado is still the best for this where the area is either pronounced or flat.
The micro detail is pretty much the same on both the Ananda and 400se. The Ananda has more space to play with so it can sound a little clearer, but it doesn't uncover any more information to my ears.

All in all the Ananda is an absolute treat and fun listening experience. Very holographic and not far from the HD800 in respect to soundstage. I don't EQ, I used to... but my OCD with constant tweaking ruins my listening experience ha. The timbre is very good and only the very top treble area sounds a little synthetic. The mid-bass is a little more pronounced than neutral (think hd650) and this adds to the fun sound as well as warming up older recordings.

Anyone reading this who already owns the HE400SE and is wondering whether to upgrade,,, if you have money to burn then yes. If you don't, then sit back and relax with a headphone that is as technically proficient as one that is 5 times the price. It's just not quite as fun.

The power requirements of Ananda are minimal. Any solid state amp that is worth it's salt will be fine. Forget about power.
He400se needs a bit more current, but seriously you don't need crazy watts.

Comfort: HE400se is a very comfortable headphone and also very light. The pads can make your ears itchy after a while though.
Ananda is large and quite heavy. Some may find issues with the headband. I would have preferred an option to swivel the yokes. But you do get used to it and the quality of the headband should last a lifetime. Verrry sturdy.

My taste in music these days is predominately electronic, with some Jazz and indie. I love classical music too but I've got my hd600 with OTL for that.
Hifiman's are amazing with electronic,ambient,acoustic,world music and small ensemble classical. The best! But they sound too polite with rock and large orchestra for me.

Erm... if I think of anything else I'll be back! :

Jan 11, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #4,233 of 4,987
1641920831905.png

Used a combination of the prior recommendations on Page 177. Sounds a little more coherent to me.

(1) 38Hz, +2.8dB, Q: 1.00, low shelf
(2) 85Hz, +2.5dB, Q: 2.50, low shelf
(3) 150Hz, -1.0dB, Q: 3.50, peaking
(4) 1750Hz, +2.5dB, Q: 2.50, peaking
(5) 4000Hz, -1.5dB, Q: 4.00, high shelf
(6) 10000Hz, +3.0dB, Q: 2.00, high shelf

At this point, without EQ, I prefer the Ananda over the Clear MG.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #4,234 of 4,987
I appreciate your feedback. Would you say that the HEKSE can slam a lot harder than the ananda with EQ? Any idea how it would compare to an LCD-4 here as well?
With no mods/EQ or with EQ. The Ananda doesn't slam in the sense that most people think of it these days. For instance they play snare drums nicely (fast, clean). But if you are thinking of bass guitars, drums, organs played at the lowest Hz. No. They don't. The OG HE-6 is the complete counter. Between the Ananda/HEX v2 and +1k hours, including bass test pieces, I was never once impressed with the snap/attack. In my 120 hrs with the OG HE-6 I got bopped on the head or had my eyes closed for me at least 40 times. Different beasts.

I have a pair of HEX v2 which are arguably the closest match to the Anandas. Cables, exact pad placement and closure, Rag 1, EQ:
***** (38 Hz, +1.7 db, 1.0 Q low shelf; 94 Hz +1.2 db Q 1.40 low shelf 2).
My EQ is more conservative than most, but its never too much. Even if you go beserk there is very little slam to be had, but you can wreck the music easily enough with that rubbish. I've had the Ananda in my system before I did EQ, but, its the same story.

The HE-6se is in the middle. Never had the full slam effect as the OG 6 even in 1.5k+ hours of time with more mods than my HEX v2 and EQ, but its been closer about 4k times than the Ananda/HEX v2. In my taste the HE-6se is more than good enough, the OG is insane, and the HEX v2/Ananda are sitting it out if I really want some high slam/heavy bass.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #4,235 of 4,987
With no mods/EQ or with EQ. The Ananda doesn't slam in the sense that most people think of it these days. For instance they play snare drums nicely (fast, clean). But if you are thinking of bass guitars, drums, organs played at the lowest Hz. No. They don't. The OG HE-6 is the complete counter. Between the Ananda/HEX v2 and +1k hours, including bass test pieces, I was never once impressed with the snap/attack. In my 120 hrs with the OG HE-6 I got bopped on the head or had my eyes closed for me at least 40 times. Different beasts.

I have a pair of HEX v2 which are arguably the closest match to the Anandas. Cables, exact pad placement and closure, Rag 1, EQ:
***** (38 Hz, +1.7 db, 1.0 Q low shelf; 94 Hz +1.2 db Q 1.40 low shelf 2).
My EQ is more conservative than most, but its never too much. Even if you go beserk there is very little slam to be had, but you can wreck the music easily enough with that rubbish. I've had the Ananda in my system before I did EQ, but, its the same story.

The HE-6se is in the middle. Never had the full slam effect as the OG 6 even in 1.5k+ hours of time with more mods than my HEX v2 and EQ, but its been closer about 4k times than the Ananda/HEX v2. In my taste the HE-6se is more than good enough, the OG is insane, and the HEX v2/Ananda are sitting it out if I really want some high slam/heavy bass.
I appreciate the response, I know what you mean. My emu teak does a lot better at the “slam” when I want it, but I agree that it ruins most music. There are a few tracks I like where having the bass boosted like crazy is just awesome though. Listened to some tracks by an artist named serhat durmus last night though, and they were just an awesome blend of vocals and nasty good subbass for example.

Jan 11, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #4,236 of 4,987
I appreciate the response, I know what you mean. My emu teak does a lot better at the “slam” when I want it, but I agree that it ruins most music. There are a few tracks I like where having the bass boosted like crazy is just awesome though. Listened to some tracks by an artist named serhat durmus last night though, and they were just an awesome blend of vocals and nasty good subbass for example.
Yeah I get that. Changes the emotion and the heartbeat. I'm just one of those old guys that mostly wants the liquor straight up.

Jan 11, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #4,237 of 4,987
Standard Hifiman dip around 1khz. You either like this or you don't. I personally do, but it's a no no for rock music imo. You lose the real texture of electric guitar for example.
Yeah i hate it. Not just the dip, there is a 3-5k peak alongside which further skews it for my taste. Hifiman tonality no good for me. I have to fix the dip and tone down the high mid/low treble peak. People say 8k is hot but i don't have sensitivity up there. 3-4k destroys my ears. It kinda sounds like a very bad smartphone speaker to my ears. Thin, lean and bright. Just +3db to dip and -3db to peak it's whole another story.

Jan 12, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #4,238 of 4,987
When I want slam, I just plug in my TH900mk2's. The HE-6 might be dynamic, but I don't have an integrated amp laying around to run off its speaker taps, so it actually has enough power. My Ananda's have pretty much replaced my T90's for everyday use.

Jan 12, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #4,240 of 4,987
These are just sooo good with electronic/ambient music. Probs the best I've heard. The soundstage is pretty huge, but it never sounds unnaturally stretched. Very cohesive. The mid bass is spot on for my tastes for this music genre, again it's not too much, just gives a few extra ounces of welcome oomph.

I forgot to mention the depth of image on my earlier review. These have a very good sense of depth. It must be the FR helping to create that sense; the warmth in the mid bass, the extra light at the very top and the upper mids relaxed, this I think gives a little percieved distance in the foreground while sharper details grab your attention as they appear nearer. The peak at 8-10 khz is great for sharpening details as well as creating air.

These aren't neutral headphones by any means. They are fun headphones. They're what I used to try to make my HD800 soundlike with EQ. (I was someone who thought the HD800 were great for electronic music. Just needed a bit more bass)

Anyhoo, if anyone wants to hear what these are capable of with a quality binaural recording checkout Max Cooper 3D Reworks 001. 👍

Jan 12, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #4,241 of 4,987
Yeah i hate it. Not just the dip, there is a 3-5k peak alongside which further skews it for my taste. Hifiman tonality no good for me. I have to fix the dip and tone down the high mid/low treble peak. People say 8k is hot but i don't have sensitivity up there. 3-4k destroys my ears. It kinda sounds like a very bad smartphone speaker to my ears. Thin, lean and bright. Just +3db to dip and -3db to peak it's whole another story.
Most HFM cans have a dip around 1.75 kHz. They often have a small rise around 950 Hz. Then somewhere around 3.85 kHz is a spot of ringing, needs narrow -3 db setting. Another spot of ringing somewhere between 8 and 10k. Check waterfall not FR charts for locations. They also need a small bump up below 40 Hz and an added bump from 90 Hz down.

Do your mods. Set the digital parametric (sorry no toy from Schitt can do the job). Avoid huge and idiotic bass rise under 100 Hz from crinicle/etc (because bass is POPULAR (no notice of correct) and mimic poop azz crap room (sorry I'm an elitist what possible use is a crap room when searching for best reproduction?) Answer: less than zero. Above 100 Hz not including ringing settings usually good to very good.

Jan 12, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #4,242 of 4,987
Fun can? I don't see it. It's so good it's flaws are sharp sticks in my eye.

Fun to me is the MD X00 Mahogany, MD-4XX, and a whole colection of closed backs and Grado, AKG, and Beyer.... No longer own any of those, I'm in the no fun Division.

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #4,243 of 4,987
Very nice. How does the 900 compare to the HE-6 in the bass department?
I've only heard the HE-6's once with a Lyr 2 amp, perhaps with more power it might be different. I would say the HE-6 has very accurate and detailed bass but the 900's have more visceral impact, especially in the sub-bass.

Jan 13, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #4,244 of 4,987
any Ananda enjoys sitting in their ivory towers doubtfully watching the Edition XS hype-train going crazy just sipping whiskey waiting for the legit youtube reviewers gang to shed some light on the situation? pretty sure the Ananda is still the most realistic and well tuned Hifiman at the end of the day, I bought this so I couldn't tell headphones from reality and nothing else matters to me, if I want bass or more detail or superhuman ears I have Audeze.

Really hate to be a headphone hater but I think some people missed the point of the Sundara and Ananda.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #4,245 of 4,987
Most HFM cans have a dip around 1.75 kHz. They often have a small rise around 950 Hz. Then somewhere around 3.85 kHz is a spot of ringing, needs narrow -3 db setting. Another spot of ringing somewhere between 8 and 10k. Check waterfall not FR charts for locations. They also need a small bump up below 40 Hz and an added bump from 90 Hz down.

Do your mods. Set the digital parametric (sorry no toy from Schitt can do the job). Avoid huge and idiotic bass rise under 100 Hz from crinicle/etc (because bass is POPULAR (no notice of correct) and mimic poop azz crap room (sorry I'm an elitist what possible use is a crap room when searching for best reproduction?) Answer: less than zero. Above 100 Hz not including ringing settings usually good to very good.
Did you listen HD800s ? how it compares ? I want soundstage and detail but more dynamic sound. Ananda is a bit compressed to me. Everyone say HD800s bass is bad though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back