= Hifiman “Fuzzor” Mod = (Driver backwave felt damping modification)
Apr 2, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #181 of 321
So what is your current HE-6 configuration? Which pads are you using? I'm using the Audeze Vegan pads and enjoy the slightly darker sound, although having the drivers further away softens the sound.

I'm currently modding them, so there's no HE-6 configuration just yet.

I never had any Audeze Vegan pads, but regardless, I equalize the headphone to perceptually flat or as close as possible. Formerly used Focuspad A - the hard velour pad was way too uncomfortable and sound quality was similar - bit more rolled up top.

By the way, for HE-6, the measured flatness in open air translates directly to perceptual flatness to my ears - when the driver is in free air.

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #182 of 321
I'm pretty late to this party, but I tried out this mod today.
Glad I did.

I can't quite put my finger on what I like about it, but the sound seems cleaner, more fluid.
I'm pretty sure the treble has been ever so slightly tamed by this - but it could just be the treble diffraction being lessened making this apparent effect. 

I'm not sure, but I feel like there is some 'air' missing.... .but again, could just be me needing to get used to the reflections being deadened. 

It's an interesting mod for sure. Worth a listen for anyone who wants to slice an edge off the treble.

Apr 2, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #183 of 321
  I'm pretty late to this party, but I tried out this mod today.
Glad I did.

I can't quite put my finger on what I like about it, but the sound seems cleaner, more fluid.
I'm pretty sure the treble has been ever so slightly tamed by this - but it could just be the treble diffraction being lessened making this apparent effect. 

I'm not sure, but I feel like there is some 'air' missing.... .but again, could just be me needing to get used to the reflections being deadened. 

It's an interesting mod for sure. Worth a listen for anyone who wants to slice an edge off the treble.

The "air" will come back if you remove any foam or fibres on the back of the driver. Don't know if the HE-500 has any of this, but the HE-6 has. Ultimately you can remove the outer grill to open up the sound if the HE-500 hasn't any damping material on the outside of the driver.

Apr 2, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #184 of 321
The "air" will come back if you remove any foam or fibres on the back of the driver. Don't know if the HE-500 has any of this, but the HE-6 has. Ultimately you can remove the outer grill to open up the sound if the HE-500 hasn't any damping material on the outside of the driver.

Yeah, the HE-500 doesn't have any of the foam/fibre on the back, and I've actually been using them for quite a few months now with just speaker grill cloth instead of metal grills (which alone was a great upgrade in air without any detriment to the sound).

It's almost as if some of the finest details and breathy nuances are lost with this mod.
I'm loving the edge taken off the treble, but the fine details do feel missing. Been listening all evening with these, and I'm convinced this is the trade-off.

Whether this is a big enough loss to reconsider and reverse the mod, I have yet to decide. 
I do prefer smoothness and warmth generally, and so far the mod hasn't stopped me from enjoying my music.... in fact quite the opposite.
I don't think I've been able to listen to the HE-500 for quite this long without getting mildly irritated by the treble.

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #185 of 321

Yeah, the HE-500 doesn't have any of the foam/fibre on the back, and I've actually been using them for quite a few months now with just speaker grill cloth instead of metal grills (which alone was a great upgrade in air without any detriment to the sound).

It's almost as if some of the finest details and breathy nuances are lost with this mod.
I'm loving the edge taken off the treble, but the fine details do feel missing. Been listening all evening with these, and I'm convinced this is the trade-off.

Whether this is a big enough loss to reconsider and reverse the mod, I have yet to decide. 
I do prefer smoothness and warmth generally, and so far the mod hasn't stopped me from enjoying my music.... in fact quite the opposite.
I don't think I've been able to listen to the HE-500 for quite this long without getting mildly irritated by the treble.

Really? I found them to be more detailed without that backwave ringing eating up the noise floor. The grill mod should help you gain a little more shape on some widely panned images as well, if you haven't already done it.

Apr 3, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #186 of 321

Really? I found them to be more detailed without that backwave ringing eating up the noise floor. The grill mod should help you gain a little more shape on some widely panned images as well, if you haven't already done it.

rolleyes.gif

Today I think I'll chamfer all the felt edges with scissors.
Hopefully I will hear some difference.

Apr 3, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #187 of 321
Flattening the felt as much as possible is certainly the way to go with this mod.
There doesn't seem to be anything loose sounding now, and it has all the air and detail I could ever need.

Apr 4, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #188 of 321
As i understand, the ringing/edge on treble born not from the soul of headpnones- it's driver membrana. But inside of the cup, caused by reflection of the sound waves. It's a side effect of working driver.
And this mode reduce the rining to help he500s sounds more like he500s should sounds, right?

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #189 of 321
As i understand, the ringing/edge on treble born not from the soul of headpnones- it's driver membrana. But inside of the cup, caused by reflection of the sound waves. It's a side effect of working driver.
And this mode reduce the rining to help he500s sounds more like he500s should sounds, right?

Yeah, basically the initial soundwave bounces off your ear and reflects back at the giant metal magnet in the headphone. The sound then reflects off the magnet back into your ear. If you reduce the volume of the second wave, youll hear more of the sound that was intended.

Apr 4, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #190 of 321
It is also quite possible that the ringing is accentuated by diffraction which occurs around the lip of every single opening in the grills.
This is the reason that the felt must reach the lip precisely, not more and no less. 

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #191 of 321
Thanks very much for this guide, I completed this mod yesterday on my HE-500.  I used 1mm adhesive felt.  Question - has anybody tried partial fuzzoring?  Maybe just the middle 10 strips?  I'm generally enjoying the mod, but feel like a middle ground between stock and full-fuzzor might be a better fit for me.

May 6, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #192 of 321
Just did the Fuzzor mod yesterday.  I'll post pics when I take the pads back off in a few weeks to try out the new ZMF Lambskin pads on it.

I'm impressed with the change this has made.  I was thinking of selling off the HE500 since I got the LCD2 but they may remain.  I was expecting a subtle change but this has really tightened and cleaned everything up.  I'm not much of a reviewer but the best word I can use is crisp.

This combined with the grill mod has really transformed the HE500's.

I took a painstakingly long time cutting and applying the felt so it was exact and neat.  Pics to follow but it looks and sounds pretty awesome.  Took longer than I originally expected.

Used the same Creatology stiff felt that jerg used in the OP.  Worked great.  Only cost like a $1.50 too :)

May 6, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #193 of 321
Let us know how it sounds with lambskin. 
Was thinking of doing some DIY leather pads, but procrastination is one of my virtues 
rolleyes.gif

May 11, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #195 of 321
Upgrade complete, but... Didn't heard noticeable difference between mod and stock condition. Achieved more advantage from aftermarket copper cable. Anyway, every bit of lush is important for those, who wants to win the total war for smoothes :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back