= Hifiman “Fuzzor” Mod = (Driver backwave felt damping modification)
Nov 30, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #16 of 321
  Just speculating here, but could it be that the reduced high frequency response allowed you to turn up the volume, making for a perceived increase in bass response?  Not sure.  

Thanks for your comments. They are pushing me toward the edge to do this mod on my HE-6... 

If done properly I don't think there is a downside to this mod, at least in theory. People might be accustomed to the original sound enough so that a change would throw them off in the immediate sense, but again, in theory the Fuzzor mod is all good and no downside IF done properly.

One critical thing with this mod is you really gotta measure and cut the strips precisely, so that they don't end up being too thick at places and obscure the driver slit openings. Ditto with the "edge tapering" step, it needs to be done thoroughly.

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #17 of 321
  Just speculating here, but could it be that the reduced high frequency response allowed you to turn up the volume, making for a perceived increase in bass response?  Not sure.  

Thanks for your comments. They are pushing me toward the edge to do this mod on my HE-6... 

I actually used my HM-901 w/ Balanced amp card to check this out, so there is no way to go much louder than my normal-to-loud listening level. As I said, I think it is probably the tonal balance change where this preceived "extra bass" is coming from.

When I checked with sine wave tones I still heard a bump in the treble centered around 8-9kHz, so even this mod do bring the treble down generally, the result is still giving me a little extra around 8-9kHz. This could be desireable, however, as I have seen and read that many headphones are tuned in order to have a bump there.

If done properly I don't think there is a downside to this mod, at least in theory. People might be accustomed to the original sound enough so that a change would throw them off in the immediate sense, but again, in theory the Fuzzor mod is all good and no downside IF done properly.

One critical thing with this mod is you really gotta measure and cut the strips precisely, so that they don't end up being too thick at places and obscure the driver slit openings. Ditto with the "edge tapering" step, it needs to be done thoroughly.

I agree that with this mod, there are no downsides, as long as the felt pieces are in line or slimmer than the metal grill it is covering. I found that 4mm is slightly too wide: 3.5mm is more accurate. 3mm is too slim.

BTW: I also covered the long vertical metal-pin with felt, since this is in the middle of the driver and exactly in front of the ear.

I really think this mod makes the HE-6 a better headphone. It could be VERY interesting to see a waterfall plot of HE-6 stock versus with this mod.

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #18 of 321
I did 4mm in the diagrams because going into sub-millimetre territory is a bit too much for most. But I agree, 3.5mm is just right.

As for covering the metal bar in the middle, I didn't like it because it started to touch my ears because of the extra thickness of the felt covering. Besides the bar is round so I doubt it had nearly as much of a direct reflective quality as the flat magnet array retaining grids with large surface areas.

Dec 1, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #19 of 321
DIFFRACTIONS!!!
I think what I hear with the felt-on-grill mod is less diffraction!

It's like with speakers, when the sound is more detached from the "boxes". When the sharp edges on the grill are covered, it makes the sound more free from the coloration or "distortion" caused by them, and this of course applies to treble and mids primarily.

Dec 1, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #20 of 321
You should patent your stuff.
devil_face.gif

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #21 of 321
What is the benefit of felting the plastic ring since your pads sit on it? Would there be any benefit to spraying the grill interior with adhesive and dusting the surface with any type of felt dust to keep the wire reflections to a minimum?

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #22 of 321
What is the benefit of felting the plastic ring since your pads sit on it? Would there be any benefit to spraying the grill interior with adhesive and dusting the surface with any type of felt dust to keep the wire reflections to a minimum?

I don't know whatcha talking about.

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #23 of 321
I don't know whatcha talking about.
My mistake. That felt is existing. I thought it was part of your mod. Now I know what I'm talking about. :xf_eek:

What did you use to clean off the adhesive from the quarter foam? It covers a few of the holes and I'm afraid of trying to get it out with bad eyesight.

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #24 of 321
I was recently reading about horn loudspeakers and their benefits compared to other loudspeaker types (increase directivity).Then i got an idea.What if those long felt strips could be triangle shaped and between them would be thin trapezoidal felt pieces at 90 degree angle. Check out these illustrations i made http://imageshack.us/a/img12/1156/8l15.png  and http://imageshack.us/a/img43/1859/tdez.png
In these images you can see,that the shape of free space between two magnet/metal/felt pair is like cross section view of a horn.So basicly i´m thinking that these "little horns" could act as a waveguide directing sound to more narrow area and improving clarity even more.

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #25 of 321
I was recently reading about horn loudspeakers and their benefits compared to other loudspeaker types (increase directivity).Then i got an idea.What if those long felt strips could be triangle shaped and between them would be thin trapezoidal felt pieces at 90 degree angle. Check out these illustrations i made http://imageshack.us/a/img12/1156/8l15.png  and http://imageshack.us/a/img43/1859/tdez.png
In these images you can see,that the shape of free space between two magnet/metal/felt pair is like cross section view of a horn.So basicly i´m thinking that these "little horns" could act as a waveguide directing sound to more narrow area and improving clarity even more.

Dec 22, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #26 of 321

That's basically the Fazor feature on Audeze LCDX and LCDXC.

I have been trying to find suitable material like that actually, just haven't found anything. It needs to have 3.5mm width and that particular shape.

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #27 of 321
How about this.  Instead of cutting felt strips that are 4mm wide, what if you cut strips ~8mm and sort of pinch it like so:

I tried it folding a strip like that and it seems like it would work.  You just sort of fold it together and flare our the bottom a bit to expose enough adhesive.  

Edit: Here's a pic of what I had in mind:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back