HIFIdiy's mini USB DAC MK2--Also a headphone amp!
Aug 25, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #46 of 377
I would guess A is for using the amp and D is for using the rca outputs. Meaning as a DAC. The unlock thing is probably an indicator that there is a digital input fed into the unit

Aug 25, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #47 of 377
Quote:

Originally Posted by FOBioPatel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does the "A" "D" switch toggle between? I am going to connect this via USB to my laptop, and connect my Sennheiser HD600 headphones to the "PHONE" jack on this unit.

the "UNLOCK" and "POWER" lights are confusing too. Power I can understand means "ON", and since there is no ON/OFF switch I assume this is always on. What does "UNLOCK" mean?

Don't want to break my headphones with incorrect settings. Sorry for the extremely remedial question in advance... any help is appreciated.
confused.gif

donunus is basically right.

"D" means DAC mode. The DAC/AMP only outputs signal from the digital input, i.e. Coaxial and USB. The RCA ports and Phone port are all working
"A" means AMP mode. The DAC/AMP only outputs signal from the RCA line-in ports. Only the Phone port is working.

"Unlock" ON means the Coaxial signal is not locked. OFF means the Coaxial signal is locked and you should hear music coming out.

For your case, you connect the unit to your PC via USB and your headphone to the Phone port, you should switch to "USB" and "D".

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #48 of 377
you guys rock! thanks so much. this is my first AMP & pairing it with an Sennheiser HD 600. Chose to go this route over a ZERO. USB connectivity was a major factor in my decision.

My Sennheiser HD 600 came in today, and they sound wonderful on the laptop headphone jack (Fujitsu Lifebook laptop). I don't listen to my headphones at loud volumes, but my understanding is the amp will improve the sound at regular volumes.

i'll provide feedback once I get it all plugged in!

Aug 30, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #50 of 377
Quote:

Originally Posted by FOBioPatel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you guys rock! thanks so much. this is my first AMP & pairing it with an Sennheiser HD 600. Chose to go this route over a ZERO. USB connectivity was a major factor in my decision.

My Sennheiser HD 600 came in today, and they sound wonderful on the laptop headphone jack (Fujitsu Lifebook laptop). I don't listen to my headphones at loud volumes, but my understanding is the amp will improve the sound at regular volumes.

i'll provide feedback once I get it all plugged in!

Looking forward to your feedback because I'm a user of HD600 and the MK2 DAC
jecklinsmile.gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #51 of 377
Looking at its design and parts and layout it's a serious cut above the Zero, enough to compete with some pretty mainstream designs. At $150 shipped this is a no brainer, it's even cheaper than a lot of Zeroes, looks beautiful too not cheap.

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #52 of 377
Does anyone know if there is a Toslink version of the hifidiy mini USB Dac? I do see that their is a Muse version on ebay, but want to make sure I get the best sounding and most recent upgrades.

thanks

Sep 7, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #53 of 377
The MUSE version is just a copy of the original hifidiy mini usb dac. Don't know the Toslink version.
In China, hifidiy is making some diy kits for diyers like me. The very original mini usb dac is one of these kits. Also they sell finished product, such as the MK2 version. The "AUNE" is their official brand for finished products selling abroad.

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #54 of 377
I need some more time to write up my review; I need to listen to some music samples with and without this DAC. I also have a friend who has a pair of HD650 cans, and has the same DAC.

He was able to notice the change in quality immediately vs. when he was plugging his cans directly into the headphone jack of his mac.

I was not able to discern as quickly, if there was a change. This amp can drive my cans at much higher volume if I wanted; but I don't need that.

Again - I need to do some more thorough listening tests. Happy with everything so far!

Sep 17, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #55 of 377
Any updates on reviews about this?

How might it compare to the Fubar II, Gamma-1, and HRT Music Streamer (standard) or any other USB DAC's in this price range?

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #56 of 377
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazerboy2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any updates on reviews about this?

How might it compare to the Fubar II, Gamma-1, and HRT Music Streamer (standard) or any other USB DAC's in this price range?

Anybody? Is this worth getting at $150 to be my 1st DAC?

Sep 21, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #57 of 377
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazerboy2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody? Is this worth getting at $150 to be my 1st DAC?

It is worth. 100% worth it. I'm in burn-in stage and waiting for opamps for rolling. Just want get at list 600 hr. before post any thoughts.
In few words it really good AMP/DAC. And few headfiers have mentioned that with some more tubee sounding opamps it's shine like hi-end stuff. It's have very deep, wide spreading bass, a bit dark mids and kinda metallic highs out of the box. But with burn-in it gets better a lot. Now, after around 400 hours it really great. I just love this bass and transparent sound what I'm hearing now, writing this words!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #58 of 377
How is the soundstage and depth of this? I am primarily looking for something in this range to open up the sound I currently and getting. I also like a slightly warmer signature. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back