HiFace, sensitive information
Sep 28, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #391 of 425
How about we all write to M2Tech. Ask them nicely. Explain that the community has been vocal about this and that their reputation and success could be impacted.

Any idea if consumer laws offer solutions?

Sep 28, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #392 of 425

Quote:
How about we all write to M2Tech. Ask them nicely. Explain that the community has been vocal about this and that their reputation and success could be impacted.

Like it or not, the only solution we have as consumers is to keep posting on forums like this.  The more we post the more action we get.  Together we have some clout.

Don't think for a minute that m2tech would have exchanged any of the inferiorFaces if we didn't develop an awareness about the problem through our forum posting.

And to those who continue to think there is no difference between the clocks:  if that were so, m2tech would have not gone back to the large clocks as soon as they were available and the current production would have 2 of the readily available, but inferior, small clocks in every HiFace. 

To their credit, m2tech went back to the better sounding component, but even that might have been due to online consumer dissatisfaction  pressure.

USG

Sep 29, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #393 of 425
Well, our main issue here is precisely this one: the community has NOT been vocal about this, at least, not to a large extend. Just a few of us so far are arguing there are large differences between the clocks.

If more people were to join our efforts, for sure M2Tech would have to accept it as a fact, not as a rumor, and that would force them to give a more appropriate solutions rather than charging 30 euros or more to their customers. Do not fool yourself, the high rate for the clock swap is simply aimed at discouraging people to masively send back their Hiface, and save their face.

Why do you think M2Tech do not offer a "free" or "cheap" recall to content such a few angry customers. Simply because they perfectly know large differences will be heard between the clocks and based on the testimony of first users to swap clocks (USG is actually the first one), they are affraid of the potential masive returns they would face. This only shows a very poor handling of a conflictive situation they created themselves, and M2Tech lack of proactiveness will only lead to customer insatisfaction.

Hiface owners must understand now that it is also in their best interest to find out what clocks they received, because since the word is out, you will likely struggle to sell your used Hiface unless you can guarantee it has the 2 large clocks. The perceived value of the Hiface at this point is already damaged (chances of small clocks, out of specs SPDIF output). Who should take the loss: you or M2Tech ?

Quote:

Sep 29, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #394 of 425
a few weeks ago i asked m2tech for replacement clocks for my hiface.
after a few excanged emails they swapped my small clocks to big clocks for a very reasonable fee.

sounds great now. drivers are still a bit buggy.

i own a musiland monitor, a hiface and a Digital Interface.
I tried them on all my computers (3 pcs and one netbook) and every unit behaved different on a different pc.

Sep 29, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #395 of 425
Excellent news Shadowlord. After USG, you are now the second on this forum who managed to have their clocks replaced.

Do you mind sharing the fee you had to pay to get your clocks swapped. Did you pay for shipping back and forth.

And finally, did you notice a difference in the sound of your Hiface and in your system.

Oct 2, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #396 of 425

Quote:
Excellent news Shadowlord. After USG, you are now the second on this forum who managed to have their clocks replaced.

Do you mind sharing the fee you had to pay to get your clocks swapped. Did you pay for shipping back and forth.

And finally, did you notice a difference in the sound of your Hiface and in your system.

@ Shadowlord

Ditto on letting us know how the 3 units sounded.

How would you describe the difference in the sound of your replacementFace?

Did you notice that the HF plays louder than the other devices?

Did you notice the treble tilt (brightness) I've posted about?

Are you using an upsampling DAC?

USG

Oct 2, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #397 of 425

Quote:

sounds great now. drivers are still a bit buggy.

Coming from Emu,  to me the drivers on the Hiface are excellent,  with Win7x64 I haven't had one crash or even a single skip in a song and thats with me running 3 soundcards on the same computer and constantly plugging/unplugging the hiface to save battery life.   My only concern with drivers would be if Win8 comes out will they still support the product.  I only use the Hiface for Wasapi-foobar quality listening,  for TV/movies I just use the MB onboard spdif.

Oct 4, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #398 of 425
I couldn't find any significant differences between 44.1 kHz and 48kHz SoX (default settings) or PPHS. I used several pieces including some classical. My hiFace is a few weeks old and my system is: win xp 32bit sp3 -> foobar KS -> hiFace BNC 1.03 -> Little Dot DAC_I -> Little Dot MKIII -> Audio Technica ATH-AD700.

PS. When I minimize or restore any application window (explorer, foobar, firefox etc.) I get a short pause/glitch when using foobar, is this "normal"?

Oct 4, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #400 of 425

Quote:
I couldn't find any significant differences between 44.1 kHz and 48kHz SoX (default settings) or PPHS. I used several pieces including some classical. My hiFace is a few weeks old and my system is: win xp 32bit sp3 -> foobar KS -> hiFace BNC 1.03 -> Little Dot DAC_I -> Little Dot MKIII -> Audio Technica ATH-AD700.

PS. When I minimize or restore any application window (explorer, foobar, firefox etc.) I get a short pause/glitch when using foobar, is this "normal"?

I think all the recentFaces have large clocks. 
L3000.gif

What were you using before the HiFace?

USG

When I minimize or restore any application window (explorer, foobar, firefox etc.) I get a short pause/glitch when using foobar --->   increase your buffer until that stops happening. 

Oct 5, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #402 of 425
Quote:

This DAC has a WM8805 50ps reclocker active on all its inputs.

Is this the reason I can't hear a difference?

Quote:

I think all the recentFaces have large clocks. 
L3000.gif

What were you using before the HiFace?

USG

When I minimize or restore any application window (explorer, foobar, firefox etc.) I get a short pause/glitch when using foobar --->   increase your buffer until that stops happening. 

I used the USB input on the dac.

Thanks for the tip, it worked.

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #405 of 425

Quote:

Theoritically, it should make all its inputs sound the exact same at whatever sample rate...considering they're being converted to I2S and reclocked to 50ps before reaching the DAC chip anyway.

The fact that it handles more than one sample rate says that it would be sensitive to changes in the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back