Hic Sunt Leones (di nuovo)-- Rudistor RP010B (for "Balanced")
Aug 20, 2008 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
[size=small]A Balanced vs. Single-Ended Experiment[/size]

Because I had owned the Sony R10 for years and years, going balanced was never really a feasible option (sending an irreplaceable phone like that out for surgery, no matter how minor, would give anyone pause for thought).

But now that I use a more affordable modified mass-market headphone (Denon D5000), I had no such qualms. I have no real experience with balanced headphones (or balanced anything for that matter) outside of Head-Fi meet conditions, which as always was on unfamiliar gear in a less-than-ideal environment. I have a sense of what to expect from reading this site over the years, but for all practical purposes, I'm a "balanced virgin".
biggrin.gif

Rather than being strictly a review Rudi's amazing flagship solid state behemoth, this thread will focus on my on-going impressions of balanced vs. single-ended listening, mainly so I can collect my own observations and isolate and evaluate for myself what I hear as the differences between the two.

According to Rudi, this latest RP010B does have some minor upgrades over the single-ended only RP010 I was using before, however I expect these differences to be relatively small. To read my blatherings on how great the single-ended RP010 is, you can read all about it here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rud...d-pics-232993/

Since it's a modular design ("quad mono"), going balanced more or less means simply adding two more modules to the basic RP010 design along with balanced ins and outs (you can see this in the pics below, note the four separate boxes). This should provide a reasonably pure apples-to-apples way to test single-ended performance vs. balanced, as switching to balanced just engages two more of the same modules. (OK, this is my layman's understanding of the design, I'm sure what's happening from an engineering standpoint is a bit more nuanced and complicated than that, but you get the basic idea.)

For this test, I have two mod-ed D5000s with Jena 22G wire and Furutech jacks, one pair single-ended and one balanced. The balanced pair is not yet broken in, so that will be a factor in the early going.

Now there are two other complications to this picture of a "perfect" test bed. From what I gather from reading some of the heated debates on these boards, the vast majority of CDPs do not really output a "pure" balanced signal. Do I know the electrical difference between a true balanced output and a "fake" one? Er, no.
biggrin.gif
Can I explain to you why this is so, and what is needed to make the issue go away? Nope. Can I explain if there are any benefits or draw-backs to going "balanced" with your amp and phones, even if your source can't generate a true balanced signal? Uh-uh. I don't have the answers to any of these controversies, I'm just a layman... I do know this issue is complicated, and that the ideal would be to have a truly balanced source, amp, and headphones, for a pure balanced signal path all the way through, which I believe I actually have.

My player, a Marantz SA-7S1, has been heavily modified/upgraded, and one of the mods is to replace the entire stock analog output section with Audio Consulting output transformers. They are wired at (or very near) the output of the digital section (DAC board), by-passing everything else. I am told that this approach does indeed provide a "pure" balanced output, whereas the un-mod-ed player would not do this, just like the majority of other CD players on the market. Again, I am relying on what I have been told, I am not expert enough to look at my player and the mods and to "know" if this is true. In any case, I *expect* this will give some sort of benefit in terms of being able to evaluate the efficacy of going balanced not available to most people.

Drawback #2 is that I no longer have my single-ended Virtual Dynamics Genesis ICs; had to be sacrificed to afford the RP010B
frown.gif
(I know, poor ol' me
redface.gif
). Instead, I am using the Virtual Dynamics Master LE balanced ICs (a couple notches down in VD's line but still absurd and wasteful from most Head-Fiers standpoints), which you can see in the pic below. The point is, I no longer have a good single-ended IC to use to test a pure single-ended signal path vs. balanced. That means, I am going balanced from the CD player to the amp, then using the amp's single-ended output to my single-ended D5000.

So in essence, it's probably more a test of the adavantages of balancing headphones period, rather than looking at the entire signal path per se.

*phew*, OK, how 'bout some pics already?
popcorn.gif

[size=small]RP010B with Remote[/size]
dscn6115eu8.jpg

Once you have the pleasure of owning a headphone amp with remote volume control, believe me, there's no going back. I LOVE this feature. Pressing the buttons physically moves the big shiny volume pot on the front of the unit. Sweet!

[size=small]RP010B with MD5000DE[/size]
dscn6118iz9.jpg

Love them Furutechs, not cheap, but incredibly well-made. Snug fit!

[size=small]RP010B Rear Panel[/size]
dscn6127nj6.jpg

[size=small]RP010B Guts[/size]
dscn6130hf1.jpg

Yeah, not a great exposure, but what can you do with these digital cameras? Still, you can see all the individual modules that make up the "quad-mono" design. Each module is enclosed in its own cage to isolate it electrically and prevent any nasties (EMI/RFI) from contaminating the sound.

[size=small]Virtual Dynamics Master LE Balanced IC[/size]
dscn6131ym0.jpg

Yep, she's big, fat, and totally unbending and uncompromising, but she will will whip you with her tail if you dare point that out!

[size=small]New Michael Wolff Audio Source Cords[/size]
dscn6134kh6.jpg

Michael Wolff is at it again. Here we have two of his latest and greatest "Source" cords (designed for gear that draw less than 400 watts such as CD players, pre-amps and headphone amps). Wolff makes very innovative cords that perform way way above their relatively modest price tag, and just happen to compliment Rudi's amps to a "T" (shhhh... don't tell Rudi, he doesn't really approve of aftermarket power cords
biggrin.gif
). This new version comes in two flavors with different Oyaide connectors, one with gold-plated contacts, one with Rhodium. Michael likes the Rhodium Oyaides, but I'm nervous about them as Rhodium tends to make the highs a bit sting-y and white. I ordered the gold, but he sent the Rhodium along for me to compare. Will do so and post findings.

[size=small]The Stack[/size]
dscn6137cx2.jpg

Here we see my heavily-modified Marantz SA-7S1 SACD/CD player, RP010B, and PS Audio Power Plant Premier power regenerator.

[size=small]Listening Impressions[/size]
Maybe some later today. As you can see, I have a lot of stuff that has no burn-in on it, so anything I post will be tentative.

Cheers.

Mark

Aug 21, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 8
Welcome to balanced listening markl! Eager to hear your initial impressions.

Oct 9, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #5 of 8
Gladstone,
The RP010B was away on vacation for a few weeks back in Italy with Dr. Rudi.

To be clear, the good Dr. disagrees strenuously with me on this point (but was very accomodating in upgrading the amp to my personal specification), but it is my belief (backed up here and there by a few other anecdotes from other Head-Fiers), that the "High" gain SE-ended jack sounds better than the "Low" gain SE jack on his amps, even when level-matched with my Radio Shack SPL meter. From an engineering standpoint, Rudi sees no reason why either jack should sound different from one another. But to my ears, the High gain jack has a fuller, more immediate and dynamic sound, with more edge definition, and a fatter bottom-end than the Low gain jack. OTOH, the Low gain jack is more refined, controlled, and slightly warmer and mellower than the somewhat more explosive High-gain jack. Someone else might just as easily prefer the sound of the Low-gain jack (provided they too can hear these apparently non-existent differences
wink.gif
).

So, why does this matter if I'm listening to the balanced section, not the SE? Well, Rudi has voiced the balanced outs to have their gain/output level more in line with the Low gain SE jack (actually slightly lower in volume still).

This didn't suit me 100%, and I wondered if it would be possible to voice the balanced outs to be roughly half-way between the level of the Low and High gain SE jacks. Follow that? So, not too hot, not too cold, maybe just right.
icon10.gif
Rudi told me he could make it so, so I sent the amp back to him, and very promptly and courteously, he did as I asked and turned the amp around in a very timely fashion.

Now it's here, and my impressions of the adjusted balanced section are.... still forthcoming.
redface.gif

See, in the meantime, since I was going to be without music for the duration the amp was with Rudi being re-tuned, I sent my modified Marantz SA-7S1 source back to the mod-man for some additional mods, and am sad to say, it is still with him due to a series of unexpected delays.

Will report again when I get my source back. Cheers.

Oct 10, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #6 of 8
OMG!!!......
beerchug.gif

My RPX-33-MKII was tuned the same way, half a way in between the high and low gain..I think that this was the way the RPX33 that were sold by Ultrasone were tuned as the Edition 9 requirements of impedance are somewhat in that range...
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #7 of 8

Maybe that means I'm not mad... To my ears there is a difference between the H and L jacks aswell. I do however prefer the L jack with my Edition 9. Maybe this is because my ears are still young or maybe it's because of the Edition 9 (instead of your R10), or for that matter the type of music I'm playing/mixing/mastering. Yes, I'm a young audio engineer and I play around with these kind of setups (hence the Prism Sound Orpheus) - before I get flamed. It's a fun world!
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I hope you get back your Marantz soon so you can start enjoying the music again and ofcourse to report back your impressions. This got me even more curious (currently deciding for myself to go for the RP010B myself and getting my Edition 9's balanced by APureSound).

Cheers!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #8 of 8
I think you are right Sovkiller. As you know I used to have both RPX-33 MkII (direct and the one from Ultrasone) and IMO the one distributed by Ultrasone sounded better with my Edition 9.

Boy, that RP010B is so tempting!!! Dam economy and stock market!!!!

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back