Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
Jan 24, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #586 of 4,006
The price should be very good to make the people stay on hiby side)

Price is not everything, there's also the support and the options a device has :)

I really like R6 for what it is, an upper midrange DAP with excellent firmware and Android support, but man, with iBasso's already excellent AMP cards, I really think things will get competitive :)

Jan 24, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #587 of 4,006
The biggest hurdle for iBasso DAPs is their software user interface. There are many reviews with a lot of lag and freezing. Sound quality is highly praised and the ability to change amp modules is a very unique feature. I believe Fiio is the only other DAP manufacturer (X7 MKII and Q5 DAC/Amp) that has this option. If all you need the DAP to do is play local music files from your collection then the iBasso DX200 is an excellent piece of gear. If you also need the DAP to utilize streaming services like Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify etc, and have the ease of install with the Google Play Store then I think the Hiby R6 Pro is your better buy. IBasso hopefully will improve its UI with the DX220. I wish DAP manufacturers could make the user experience as snappy/consistent as the latest smartphones, but I think they will always be slightly behind due to the size of their product/development teams and budgets. Hiby with their R6 and now R6 Pro does the best job of utilizing faster CPUs and the most RAM in their DAPs to give us that consistent smartphone/UI experience. For my needs the R6 Pro is currently the better choice due to my heavy use of streaming services. I need to see better user reviews in the software/UI area before I would consider owning the DX220.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #588 of 4,006
Speaking for my self, UI experience is important. I have seen reviews of the DX150 and DX200 and concluded that I rather want the R6 Pro over the DX200, even with the iBasso having these amp modules. Not sure if the DX220 will have better cpu/ram to combat the UI lag, since they havent announced any specs.

I'll just have to get some help getting my hands on a R6 Pro from one or the other chinese stores. I am unfortenatly impatient.

Jan 24, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #589 of 4,006
...I wish DAP manufacturers could make the user experience as snappy/consistent as the latest smartphones, but I think they will always be slightly behind due to the size of their product/development teams and budgets...

The biggest issue is the minimum order size needed. To order a current Snapdragon chipset, you can't just order 100 of them, you have to order a crap-ton of them. I believe the r6 has a 425 in it, which is a 3-year old low end Snapdragon. Fine for the R6, honestly, and honestly was a really solid budget chip when it was released, so for a DAP, it's going to be really solid. But you still aren't getting an 800-series Snapdragon in a DAP. And you won't. The best shot at that ever happening was Sony, if they'd had some leftovers from an over-purchase, but that hasn't happened. Potentially because of how siloed that company is.

Jan 24, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #590 of 4,006
The biggest issue is the minimum order size needed. To order a current Snapdragon chipset, you can't just order 100 of them, you have to order a crap-ton of them. I believe the r6 has a 425 in it, which is a 3-year old low end Snapdragon. Fine for the R6, honestly, and honestly was a really solid budget chip when it was released, so for a DAP, it's going to be really solid. But you still aren't getting an 800-series Snapdragon in a DAP. And you won't. The best shot at that ever happening was Sony, if they'd had some leftovers from an over-purchase, but that hasn't happened. Potentially because of how siloed that company is.

You don't need a 800 series snapdragon either. Since the main goal of it is playing music. But it must be snappy enough that you don't have to wait for the volume to change, playback have delay on changes, like skip, pause, or other.. For that the 425 is enough. It would be better with more, but the 425 is still alot better than the DX150 and/or DX200 from what I have found.

Jan 24, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #591 of 4,006
Makes sense. The large manufacturers like Sony would have the resources to get their hands on the latest Snapdragon chips due to the volume they order. However, It doesn't seem like Sony is putting much effort into taking advantage those latest chips in their DAPs as they prefer to stay with a simplified UI and local file play back only/no streaming services. At the end of the day, a DAP's purpose is to play back music so there isn't the same resource requirement as a smartphone which has to multitask and provide a variety of different functions all day long. We have become spoiled with the speed of our latest smartphones that we expect all devices to be just as responsive.:smile_phones:

Jan 24, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #592 of 4,006
Makes sense. The large manufacturers like Sony would have the resources to get their hands on the latest Snapdragon chips due to the volume they order. However, It doesn't seem like Sony is putting much effort into taking advantage those latest chips in their DAPs as they prefer to stay with a simplified UI and local file play back only/no streaming services. At the end of the day, a DAP's purpose is to play back music so there isn't the same resource requirement as a smartphone which has to multitask and provide a variety of different functions all day long. We have become spoiled with the speed of our latest smartphones that we expect all devices to be just as responsive.:smile_phones:
Curious how tolerant you'd be when using the R2R2000 x-D

Jan 24, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #593 of 4,006
Curious how tolerant you'd be when using the R2R2000 x-D
LOL!:beyersmile: The R2R2000 x-D is a no go for me! I understand the value of limited electrical interference and UI simplicity. I'm sure it's a very nice player, if all you require is to play local FLAC files, stream Bluetooth, or directly connect to a laptop as a DAC/amp.

I find its nice to be able discover new music wherever you have a WiFi hotspot available (without having to lug a laptop around :smile_phones:) and have the ability to download tracks offline to my SD card that I come to enjoy (Tidal Offline). That's just me. Other's could care less about Tidal and the ability to connect to WiFi with a DAP.

It's definitely out of my price range at $2500.

Looks like it has great battery life in eco mode. (up to 35 hours). Plenty of positives about it. Each of us has our priorities when it comes to features/functionality and absolute portable sound quality.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #594 of 4,006
I just saw the screen on the R2R2000 x-D. Definitely a no go! It reminds me of an old ASCII display terminal. I need my album art:smile_phones:

ascii-art-on-linux-terminal-1.png

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #595 of 4,006
Back to the r6 pro....
If anyone finds a good shop to order from in shenzhen or HK please post it. I'm not sure I'm in the mood to wait....

Jan 25, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #596 of 4,006
Fortress HK and Let's Go Audio in HK (as well) have the R6 Pro however i dunno if they will ship internationally.

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #597 of 4,006
Fortress HK and Let's Go Audio in HK (as well) have the R6 Pro however i dunno if they will ship internationally.
Taobao and Tmall ships "internationaly"
(global shipping list: USA,Canada, Australia,New Zealand,Singapore,Malaysia,Taiwan,Macao,Japan

And no, they will not ship outside these countrys, I have tried.
A Proxy service might be the solution if you live outside these.
Here is a guide for Taobao/Tmall if you want to enbark on that mission.
http://www.howtotao.com/buy-from-taobao/

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #598 of 4,006

I checked the Let’s Go Audio website today and added the R6 Pro to the shopping cart and it didn’t offer international shipping and I don’t believe Fortress offer international shipping either (I could be wrong).

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #599 of 4,006
I checked the Let’s Go Audio website today and added the R6 Pro to the shopping cart and it didn’t offer international shipping and I don’t believe Fortress offer international shipping either (I could be wrong).

You can always use a forwarding service, I was about to do that when I got the opportunity to get @jmills8 unit

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #600 of 4,006

Does anyone know what the difference is between the Chinese and International versions of the R6 Pro?

Fortress offers home delivery, or delivered at some pre defined locations around in their "area". could be seen as local shipping.

The difference between the mainland version, and international version is Google Play Services. The Mainland version don't got Google Play. More details here: https://www.reddit.com/r/KinFoundat...le_play_store_is_effectively_banned_in_china/

The ones using the version without Google Play, have tried installing it, but I can't se any of them getting it to work yet. I asked a question about this earlier, no response.
This don't say it will never work, only that it don't work right now. Until someone, or HiBy figures out a workaround.
The International version has working Google Play out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back