Hiby R6 Pro II (2023 Edition) - Launch, Hype, Thoughts & More
Mar 24, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #31 of 1,959
According to the latest weibo post, R6Pro II will be available on Mar 31 in China for 4998 RMB (approx. 730 USD).
(The estimated price was said to be about 6000 RMB before.)

And it supports up to DSD1024/PCM1536 playback.

20230324R6ProII.jpg

Mar 24, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #36 of 1,959
According to the latest weibo post, R6Pro II will be available on Mar 31 in China for 4998 RMB (approx. 730 USD).
(The estimated price was said to be about 6000 RMB before.)

And it supports up to DSD1024/PCM1536 playback.

20230324R6ProII.jpg
Oh man, I was hoping it would be… more expensive so that I wouldn’t be tempted! :)

Mar 24, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #37 of 1,959
The new R6 pro II seems like a really interesting DAP to me, I have doubts about the dual amplification, perhaps it would be better to focus on just one type of amplifier with higher quality components, I really want to know about it and see how far it really goes, I would like to know if it can stand up to my DX320 :)

Mar 24, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #38 of 1,959
The new R6 pro II seems like a really interesting DAP to me, I have doubts about the dual amplification, perhaps it would be better to focus on just one type of amplifier with higher quality components, I really want to know about it and see how far it really goes, I would like to know if it can stand up to my DX320 :)
dx320 is not a high bar..

Mar 24, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #39 of 1,959
the ak4499ex is a multibit chip iirc, wondering if it'll be similar to the burr brown multibits :)

The AK4191EX-AK4499EXEQ are delta-sigma, with the distinction of being the first 7-bit chip operation I know about. The ESS9038Pro topped out on 6 bits, but Hyperstream was a pulse-width modulated operation, not delta-sigma.

The 4191-4499 is also not just a DAC chip, but a DAC ecosystem with three times PCB real estate, if you see what I mean. More precise resistors and capacitors aboard as a result can only mean a better single-bit decodes (X7) to alleviate dynamic element matching errors.

The PCM179X series was a hybrid of multibit and delta-sigma, MSBs decoded by the former and LSBs, the latter.

I think it is great that the option exists for a Class A amplification stage, but that may be more of a novelty or pride of ownership thing more than audio quality.

I am huge for Class A (and hence discrete operation) as it really means a more linear open-loop amplification without relying on negative feedback to close the loop (and the excess negative feedback necessary).

I pay far less attention to how something is biased between Class A or AB, and just focus on being blessed either way. I have a discrete circuit in my hands.

Which has so many audible improvements, and such better performance into low-impedance loads. I could detail why in detail if required - but Class A, Class AB bias audible effects are a bit of a misnomer. A red herring making people lose focus of the real point: a discrete circuit.

As an aside, my belief why we may not be hearing the difference switching between Class A and Class AB is:

1. IEM loads or power levels are so benign to begin with that Class AB operation is never falling out of Class A, and staying that way as such. Even in Class AB, bias levels are high enough it's staying Class A.

2. Failing to differentiate between Class A/Class AB appears much more in balanced use. The common-mode rejection could be hiding the crossover distortion enough, working with whatever feedback is then applied. I've heard the switch between A/AB all too evidently on a Cayin N6ii/E01, which alas was single-ended and did not benefit from common-mode rejection.

3. Some transducers just may not be transparent enough to show up a different switching between bias types.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #42 of 1,959
From the pricing, it seems like a close competitor to Fiio m15s

Mar 25, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #44 of 1,959
The AK4191EX-AK4499EXEQ are delta-sigma, with the distinction of being the first 7-bit chip operation I know about. The ESS9038Pro topped out on 6 bits, but Hyperstream was a pulse-width modulated operation, not delta-sigma.

The 4191-4499 is also not just a DAC chip, but a DAC ecosystem with three times PCB real estate, if you see what I mean. More precise resistors and capacitors aboard as a result can only mean a better single-bit decodes (X7) to alleviate dynamic element matching errors.

The PCM179X series was a hybrid of multibit and delta-sigma, MSBs decoded by the former and LSBs, the latter.

I am huge for Class A (and hence discrete operation) as it really means a more linear open-loop amplification without relying on negative feedback to close the loop (and the excess negative feedback necessary).

I pay far less attention to how something is biased between Class A or AB, and just focus on being blessed either way. I have a discrete circuit in my hands.

Which has so many audible improvements, and such better performance into low-impedance loads. I could detail why in detail if required - but Class A, Class AB bias audible effects are a bit of a misnomer. A red herring making people lose focus of the real point: a discrete circuit.

As an aside, my belief why we may not be hearing the difference switching between Class A and Class AB is:

1. IEM loads or power levels are so benign to begin with that Class AB operation is never falling out of Class A, and staying that way as such. Even in Class AB, bias levels are high enough it's staying Class A.

2. Failing to differentiate between Class A/Class AB appears much more in balanced use. The common-mode rejection could be hiding the crossover distortion enough, working with whatever feedback is then applied. I've heard the switch between A/AB all too evidently on a Cayin N6ii/E01, which alas was single-ended and did not benefit from common-mode rejection.

3. Some transducers just may not be transparent enough to show up a different switching between bias types.
interesting, thank you for the explanation! I'll be honest, I thought that multibit means using more than 1 bit.. well, you learn something new every day haha.

I guess the good part still stays for me, the usage of 7bits :) and class A, I truly hope the class A will be similar to that of the E01, the E01 so far gave me the most noticable difference out of the devices I've tried (dx320 sounded like a normal class A/B)

Mar 25, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #45 of 1,959
interesting, thank you for the explanation! I'll be honest, I thought that multibit means using more than 1 bit.. well, you learn something new every day haha.

I guess the good part still stays for me, the usage of 7bits :) and class A, I truly hope the class A will be similar to that of the E01, the E01 so far gave me the most noticable difference out of the devices I've tried (dx320 sounded like a normal class A/B)

No worries, it's natural to imagine 2-7 bit delta-sigma as multi-bit! Albeit its massive noise-shaping necessary to preserve the operation at fewer bits doesn't qualify it for buzzwords like Schiit's true multi-bit or other 24-bit ladders might apply the higher ground to. A small detail, but an important one nevertheless.

The greatest deal about the new AKM digital ecosystem remains its silicone footprint. Were another DAC IC one day also achieve 7-bits, 4191-4499 would probably still hold the advantage as it's arguably one giant DAC chip made of three parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back