HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Feb 12, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #1,351 of 6,628
Or...end up like me with a FiiO X5 Gen II, X5 Gen III, X7 Gen II, and waiting for the R6 while looking at the R3 promo video...:wink::smiling_imp::wink:

Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Hahah! Don’t tempt me! I’m not choosing between my X7ii and the R6 either! I’ll just have a collection! I hope someone gets this to a reviewer (or I’ll test one :p) so they can compare between the two! I would like to see a comparison table to see the feature differences.

Feb 12, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #1,352 of 6,628
Backed the r6 last week and still not got a tracking number for it. Can I assume that nothings going to happen now until after chinese new year? That's fine, it's the not knowing when it will ship that kills (and given that it's not stated to start shipping until march that's fine, just curious).

Feb 12, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #1,354 of 6,628
Mine was doing the same thing. Turn the player on and connect to the computer. Swipe down from the top of the player screen and it brings up options to charge or transfer files. Choose transfer files. My sd now shows up on my computer. Hope this helps.
Thanks but I'd already found this and changed it to Transfer Files but it's still not showing up. I'm getting around it at the moment by using ES File Explorer and playing from my LAN. The WiFi seems better than I've experienced before with any DAP but this is getting very frustrating. I'm hoping that I'm missing something basic but I've no idea what. Hope it's not an issue with the unit.
Any other suggestions, no matter how obvious, greatly appreciated

Feb 12, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #1,355 of 6,628
Thanks but I'd already found this and changed it to Transfer Files but it's still not showing up. I'm getting around it at the moment by using ES File Explorer and playing from my LAN. The WiFi seems better than I've experienced before with any DAP but this is getting very frustrating. I'm hoping that I'm missing something basic but I've no idea what. Hope it's not an issue with the unit.
Any other suggestions, no matter how obvious, greatly appreciated
Is there a factory reset option on the R6? Maybe a reset would help?

Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Feb 12, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #1,357 of 6,628
Received my black aluminium R6 today in the UK. No custom duties to pay etc - big thank you Hiby. It was dispatched on the 6th. That's really impressive. I've been 'burned' with crowd funding before and this one has been a breath of fresh air in terms of delivery and the product.
Only had a few hours with it but I thought I'd post a few impressions. Build quality is excellent with the frame perfectly milled. The general operation of it feels as responsive as my phone which is an LG G5 with Hifi module. My main Dap has been the Fiio X7 Mk1. I have not noticed any Wifi noise with the R6 or general interference when the screen is on - something the X7 suffers with. The Wifi range of the R6 is more limited than my phone but slightly better than the X7. I have been streaming Tidal via a 5ghz connection with no problems around 5M from my router with a couple of thin plasterboard walls in between (new houses are built rubbish in the UK!). Tidal works fine with no stuttering that absolutely plagued the X7 and drove me insane. I actually mainly download Tidal and there is the option to chose between storage location - on board or SD card. I have also tried streaming Tidal videos again successfully with only an initial period of time to buffer and then consistent playback - not that I bought it for that reason. Updated the firmware via the wifi connection - very fast and trouble free. Importantly no complete reset was required such as with the X7 updates - that meant all apps and my Tidal library had to be downloaded again each time - very tedious. Hopefully that will remain the case with all updates.
I can only give very brief impressions regarding sound which appears very punchy and dynamic. I've tried the R6 with a number of IEMS and headphones. The Oppo PM3 in balanced mode in particular really seems to have a synergy with it - I've never heard it sound so good from a DAP. With the Cosmic Ears CE6P 6 driver BA with crossovers I hear no change in sound signature from other sources. I know this is only one example but I really wouldn't worry to much about the 10ohm output impedance. My Custom Art Fibae 2 also seems very full and dynamic from the R6 more so than my other Daps (Cayin N5, Ibasso DX80). It doesn't seem a particularly powerful though. The PM3's I have been running around the 65 -72/101 mark on the volume depending on the recording (balanced). I've tried it with the Audeze isine 10 also. H'mm, I'm not sure the R6 really has the power for these (single ended) but that might just be because I've had a long day and getting tired - tomorrow's another day.
The only thing from Hiby that I don't particularly like is the colour of the 'leather case'. It's a dark navy blue. Many will like it but I would have preferred a black one or other colour choices. Given the discounts really I'm not complaining and there is bound to be after market cases become available
So far so good. I'd like to thank Hiby for what really has been an excellent buying experience and a product that initially at least meets my expectations. For those waiting hopefully you will feel the same way when you receive it and that I can provide some re-assurance regarding your purchase - I am far from being a regular reviewer - just an average punter & earner.

Feb 12, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #1,360 of 6,628
Received my black aluminium R6 today in the UK. No custom duties to pay etc - big thank you Hiby. It was dispatched on the 6th. That's really impressive. I've been 'burned' with crowd funding before and this one has been a breath of fresh air in terms of delivery and the product.
Only had a few hours with it but I thought I'd post a few impressions. Build quality is excellent with the frame perfectly milled. The general operation of it feels as responsive as my phone which is an LG G5 with Hifi module. My main Dap has been the Fiio X7 Mk1. I have not noticed any Wifi noise with the R6 or general interference when the screen is on - something the X7 suffers with. The Wifi range of the R6 is more limited than my phone but slightly better than the X7. I have been streaming Tidal via a 5ghz connection with no problems around 5M from my router with a couple of thin plasterboard walls in between (new houses are built rubbish in the UK!). Tidal works fine with no stuttering that absolutely plagued the X7 and drove me insane. I actually mainly download Tidal and there is the option to chose between storage location - on board or SD card. I have also tried streaming Tidal videos again successfully with only an initial period of time to buffer and then consistent playback - not that I bought it for that reason. Updated the firmware via the wifi connection - very fast and trouble free. Importantly no complete reset was required such as with the X7 updates - that meant all apps and my Tidal library had to be downloaded again each time - very tedious. Hopefully that will remain the case with all updates.
I can only give very brief impressions regarding sound which appears very punchy and dynamic. I've tried the R6 with a number of IEMS and headphones. The Oppo PM3 in balanced mode in particular really seems to have a synergy with it - I've never heard it sound so good from a DAP. With the Cosmic Ears CE6P 6 driver BA with crossovers I hear no change in sound signature from other sources. I know this is only one example but I really wouldn't worry to much about the 10ohm output impedance. My Custom Art Fibae 2 also seems very full and dynamic from the R6 more so than my other Daps (Cayin N5, Ibasso DX80). It doesn't seem a particularly powerful though. The PM3's I have been running around the 65 -72/101 mark on the volume depending on the recording (balanced). I've tried it with the Audeze isine 10 also. H'mm, I'm not sure the R6 really has the power for these (single ended) but that might just be because I've had a long day and getting tired - tomorrow's another day.
The only thing from Hiby that I don't particularly like is the colour of the 'leather case'. It's a dark navy blue. Many will like it but I would have preferred a black one or other colour choices. Given the discounts really I'm not complaining and there is bound to be after market cases become available
So far so good. I'd like to thank Hiby for what really has been an excellent buying experience and a product that initially at least meets my expectations. For those waiting hopefully you will feel the same way when you receive it and that I can provide some re-assurance regarding your purchase - I am far from being a regular reviewer - just an average punter & earner.
Thanks very much for the impressions! Looking forward to trying mine!

Cheers and All the Best!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Feb 12, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #1,362 of 6,628
That is correct. There was a microstutter problem discovered early on that was fixed by changing the buffer size.

Joe, I received my unit today and love it so far except for one issue. Tidal spends a long time buffering each track before beginning playback. It can be as little as 5 seconds, as much as 15 with an average of about 10 seconds. I can put the R6 next to my phone and run speedtest on each and get similar results. From the spot in my home I tested this was about 60mbps on both devices. If I open Tidal on my phone and pick any track it is rarely more than a 2 count before playback begins. I can pick the same track on the R6 and it takes at least 5x longer even though both devices similar wifi throughput. I was wondering if the quoted buffer size might be to blame? If so perhaps a more conservative number can be experimented with? Is this something that is user configurable?

Thanks.

Feb 12, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #1,363 of 6,628
Feb 12, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #1,364 of 6,628
Got my R6 today but cannot transfer files to it :frowning2:
I use a mac mini running the latest high sierra.
plugging in, pull-down menu, I choose for USB file transfers.
Nothing happens. I do not see it on my mac mini.
Am I missing anything?!

Feb 12, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #1,365 of 6,628
Got my R6 today but cannot transfer files to it :frowning2:
I use a mac mini running the latest high sierra.
plugging in, pull-down menu, I choose for USB file transfers.
Nothing happens. I do not see it on my mac mini.
Am I missing anything?!

Ah I think I can answer this. I've always had this problem on my girlfriend's mac. Mac doesn't play well with android. it's not like Windows where you can just plug it in, click and drag. Install Android File Transfer on your Mac. When you plug in the R6, it'll ask something about confirming the connection or allowing the connection. Sometimes you might have to plug and unplug and allow the connection again. Eventually your sd card and built in storage will show up. From there you should be able to click and drag.

This is not the R6's problem. It's an android issue. I've been dealing with this since android 1.5 (cupcake).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back