Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Jul 19, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #918 of 2,094
I should have added that it took two or three tries before the firmware update actually downloaded via OTA completely (it would just turn off, and I'd start over). Then, when I checked again after it went off, it finally asked me whether I wanted to install the downloaded firmware, I clicked OK. Then, it went into some sort of installer mode with progress bars and restarted. Then, when I clicked on 'about', it shows I now have version 1.4.

I still don't know what they've changed, though. No info that I can find.

Jul 19, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #919 of 2,094
I should have added that it took two or three tries before the firmware update actually downloaded via OTA completely (it would just turn off, and I'd start over). Then, when I checked again after it went off, it finally asked me whether I wanted to install the downloaded firmware, I clicked OK. Then, it went into some sort of installer mode with progress bars and restarted. Then, when I clicked on 'about', it shows I now have version 1.4.

I still don't know what they've changed, though. No info that I can find.
It is supposed to fix issue with Bluetooth AAC Playback stutters,, And Fixed issues with DLNA payback causing possible hangups,and can't play next track. (FYI, Deleted update files and will try OTA again...)

Jul 19, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #920 of 2,094
After removing all update files from the SD card... Tried OTA again. The update files downloads fine. But tried about 5 times, and it will not install. Will await a fix from HiBy.

Edit Also downloaded the update file to SD card. That also will not install and so am still on V1.3 Luckily, I do not need the stated fixes.

See info on their facebook site: https://www.facebook.com/hibycom/photos/a.736246993184192/1868603933281820/

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #921 of 2,094
Just upgraded to v1.4. No problems encountered.
- Using a 2GB microSD card, FAT32 format
- Containing only 1 file, r3pro.upt
- Copied file into microSD via a USB card reader
- Installed using System settings>>Firmware update>>Via SD-card

Additional info:
- My R3pro was likely early/mid December 2019 manufacture
- 2GB microSD brand was Pretec

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #922 of 2,094
Just upgraded to v1.4. No problems encountered.
- Using a 2GB microSD card, FAT32 format
- Containing only 1 file, r3pro.upt
- Copied file into microSD via a USB card reader
- Installed using System settings>>Firmware update>>Via SD-card
Followed similar steps, update via OTA failed (file seems the same size when I replaced on microSD, but it was causing vv_failed at every reboot), manual update went fine.

This solved also the problems I went into with firmware 1.3, when my device was updating several times or freezing every time I was powering it on. I tried to shut down and power on several times, and seems to work fine now. I hope this will last and I can finally enjoy the player:)

Jul 20, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #924 of 2,094
Followed similar steps, update via OTA failed (file seems the same size when I replaced on microSD, but it was causing vv_failed at every reboot), manual update went fine.

This solved also the problems I went into with firmware 1.3, when my device was updating several times or freezing every time I was powering it on. I tried to shut down and power on several times, and seems to work fine now. I hope this will last and I can finally enjoy the player:)
FYI: Tried updating from a 4GB FAT32 MicroSD, and no success. Attempt to install fails exactly the same as OTA.. And as when updating from downloaded r3pro.upt file on larger microsd card with my music on it. Have no idea why some of us are unable to update. Even did factor reset, and tried to update from 4Gb card, and still does not install V1.4 . (That was also the suggestion from Hiby on their facebook page.) Assume that by MANUAL update, you mean updating from the microsd card? Just checking if there is another (3rd) way to update.

Jul 20, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #925 of 2,094
yes, I mean updating from microsd. However OTA copies rom to the microSD in root position, so it should not be really different but it was not working for me.
I used a 256GB MicroSD with lots of music on it, so that should not be the problem.
It looks like updates are working random: I had so many issues with 1.3, but here nobody complains.

Jul 21, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #926 of 2,094
I’m confused as to what Pro version to buy...The Saber has supposedly more single ended power output, so I’m leaning towards it over the regular Pro version, but is the sound too clinical? I’ve found no direct comparisons between the two, just that the Saber is touted to be more analytical...

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #927 of 2,094
I’m confused as to what Pro version to buy...The Saber has supposedly more single ended power output, so I’m leaning towards it over the regular Pro version, but is the sound too clinical? I’ve found no direct comparisons between the two, just that the Saber is touted to be more analytical...
I found the regular to add too much warmness to the sound and overall color the sound, while I found the saber to be much cleaner and more neutral in terms of not affecting the sound.

Jul 22, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #928 of 2,094
@Joe Bloggs
Does the Saber and the regular Pro share the same firmware? Can I update the Saber with the same firmware as the regular Pro?

Also, does the Saber come in both international and Chinese versions and thus accepts different firmware versions as well, depending on where you buy it from?

Jul 22, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #929 of 2,094
Still on the fence on what Pro model to buy since I recently bought the ATHMSR7bs which is supposedly really detailed and treble oriented, so I’m wagering that it won’t pair well with the Saber. But! But! I also own the Meze Noirs which is notorious for being bass heavy, making it on the other hand, pair really well with the Saber, unlike the AT’s. So, Head-FI, which one to buy?

And no, I’m not buying both Pro versions. Lol.

Oh and can anyone recommend a reliable 2.5mm male, 4.4 female adapter from Amazon? My AT’s will come shipped with a 4.4 balanced cable, so it won’t pair directly with the Pro. The Fiio adapter isn't on Amazon based on my searches.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #930 of 2,094
Still on the fence on what Pro model to buy since I recently bought the ATHMSR7bs which is supposedly really detailed and treble oriented, so I’m wagering that it won’t pair well with the Saber. But! But! I also own the Meze Noirs which is notorious for being bass heavy, making it on the other hand, pair really well with the Saber, unlike the AT’s. So, Head-FI, which one to buy?

And no, I’m not buying both Pro versions. Lol.

Oh and can anyone recommend a reliable 2.5mm male, 4.4 female adapter from Amazon? My AT’s will come shipped with a 4.4 balanced cable, so it won’t pair directly with the Pro. The Fiio adapter isn't on Amazon based on my searches.

I have the original Hiby R3 Pro and Meze Noirs. I also have Meze's balanced cable for the Noirs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FQ2BCK5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, and use the balanced input with no need for adapter. It all sounds very good to me. I do have an adapter (also from Amazon) that I use with the iFi Hip Dac... it works well, too... this is the one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0751B7PTS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back