Hiby FC6 - another R-2R USB dongle
Jan 10, 2024 at 12:16 AM Post #361 of 432
Jan 11, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #363 of 432
Need some help... received the unit and flashed to 1.07. Unit works but my screen doesn't turn on any longer. Am I missing something?

I don't recall anyway to control the screen manually. Does it turn off even when connected to PC? Perhaps find another firmware files and re-flash the firmware?

Jan 11, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #365 of 432
So here is the weirdest f%^&*( thing....

I tried every firmware on their site. Upgrading, downgrading...you name it. Nothing. Plugged it into my mac, 2 windows PCs, my android phone, and my iPhone... black screen. Tidal, Apple Music, Roon ARC, and HiBy Music. Nothing changed.

Then I read through both FC6 threads all over again. I found someone who had a similar issue and he downloaded UAPP and his screen came on. So for giggles I did the same thing. Screen came on. Weirdest damn thing ever. It works now and I am not questioning it.

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #366 of 432
So here is the weirdest f%^&*( thing....

I tried every firmware on their site. Upgrading, downgrading...you name it. Nothing. Plugged it into my mac, 2 windows PCs, my android phone, and my iPhone... black screen. Tidal, Apple Music, Roon ARC, and HiBy Music. Nothing changed.

Then I read through both FC6 threads all over again. I found someone who had a similar issue and he downloaded UAPP and his screen came on. So for giggles I did the same thing. Screen came on. Weirdest damn thing ever. It works now and I am not questioning it.
Very good!
Kudos. !

Jan 19, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #367 of 432
The broad answer is that you can always double amp any USB dongle (assuming single-end-to-single-end or balanced-to-balanced). How much sonic gain you will get depend on how well the two ends matched up. Generally speaking, the cleaner (higher SNR and lower distortion) the USB dongle sounds, the better the result it should be.
Just wanted to track back to this to thank you again for the insight; got the FC6 this week and it's worked like a charm into my V202... early days and all that, but very happy so far. Thanks a million!

Jan 26, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #370 of 432
Has anyone tried the FC6 with more demanding headphones (HD650 or 800s)?
I personally use it with my HD600 and find that it sounds very good overall... not matching my V202 for example, but very solid in a pinch.

Jan 31, 2024 at 1:03 AM Post #371 of 432
Alright I need some help here, I purchased this DAC, got it from a member here, however one of the first observations is that this dongle is insanely sensitive to the usb wire cross talk, as a result I had to pull out a special short usb c to c cable that is normally used for an external nvme drive and thunderbolt. That lowered the cross talk, however it still does this sort of sound at the end of a played audio file that I would describe as a sort of static build up that starts slow and starts to crackle fast and briefly. I dont know what this is about, is that the HDR? NOS? A filter? Changing a few of them back and forth didnt seem to stop that from occurring, so I am not sure.

Going back and forth between the Hiby and my computers native sound, the main difference is that while the Hiby is certainly louder which is a plus, however the FC6 is bass shy in nature, which for my headphones doesnt work to well, those being the Shure SRH1440. These headphones are particularly renown for detail, and when it comes down to it, aside from the Hiby being a little bass shy, along with some form or another of cross talk static, which I am not sure whats going on in this particular case, I cannot tell the difference as far as audio quality goes to be totally honest.

Would upgrading to the latest firmware do anything in the way of the cross talk static, or audio quality? Or what am I getting with that?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 1:25 AM Post #372 of 432
Alright I need some help here, I purchased this DAC, got it from a member here, however one of the first observations is that this dongle is insanely sensitive to the usb wire cross talk, as a result I had to pull out a special short usb c to c cable that is normally used for an external nvme drive and thunderbolt. That lowered the cross talk, however it still does this sort of sound at the end of a played audio file that I would describe as a sort of static build up that starts slow and starts to crackle fast and briefly. I dont know what this is about, is that the HDR? NOS? A filter? Changing a few of them back and forth didnt seem to stop that from occurring, so I am not sure.

Going back and forth between the Hiby and my computers native sound, the main difference is that while the Hiby is certainly louder which is a plus, however the FC6 is bass shy in nature, which for my headphones doesnt work to well, those being the Shure SRH1440. These headphones are particularly renown for detail, and when it comes down to it, aside from the Hiby being a little bass shy, along with some form or another of cross talk static, which I am not sure whats going on in this particular case, I cannot tell the difference as far as audio quality goes to be totally honest.

Would upgrading to the latest firmware do anything in the way of the cross talk static, or audio quality? Or what am I getting with that?
Yeah upgrading does. I had the issue and @Joe Bloggs said update and static will disappear.

I haven't yet as I couldn't really get to a windows comp (a requirement), but I changed to short usb c to usb c from ddhifi which did the trick. But long term solution is updating

Feb 26, 2024 at 11:32 PM Post #373 of 432
Hey guys,
Does any of you guys have the same problem as mine? I cannot seem to play DSD/MQA files on the FC6 with my iPhone. There were huge white noises when I played my DSD files, and it couldn't seem to render MQA on my iPhone with MQA symbol flickering on and off following by volume fluctuation and huge distortion as well. It was playing DSD and MQA just fine on my PC and UAPP on my Android phone, so I switched to some other DACs (fiio ka13, shanling up5,...) and none of them were having problems playing DSD and MQA on my iPhone. The iPhone I am using is the iPhone 15 Pro Max and I have tried switching to other USB C cables as well and the problem still persists which indicates that the cable isn't the problem neither. I also upgraded the Hiby FC6 to the latest firmware and it does nothing to resolve my problem too. I don't mind listening to music on Android, however, most of my music is on Roon and Roon doesn't play bit-perfect on Android , therefore, iPhone is mainly my daily driver for listening to music.

Feb 27, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #374 of 432
Hey guys,
Does any of you guys have the same problem as mine? I cannot seem to play DSD/MQA files on the FC6 with my iPhone. There were huge white noises when I played my DSD files, and it couldn't seem to render MQA on my iPhone with MQA symbol flickering on and off following by volume fluctuation and huge distortion as well. It was playing DSD and MQA just fine on my PC and UAPP on my Android phone, so I switched to some other DACs (fiio ka13, shanling up5,...) and none of them were having problems playing DSD and MQA on my iPhone. The iPhone I am using is the iPhone 15 Pro Max and I have tried switching to other USB C cables as well and the problem still persists which indicates that the cable isn't the problem neither. I also upgraded the Hiby FC6 to the latest firmware and it does nothing to resolve my problem too. I don't mind listening to music on Android, however, most of my music is on Roon and Roon doesn't play bit-perfect on Android , therefore, iPhone is mainly my daily driver for listening to music.
I just confirmed with my friend who also has the Hiby FC6 and iPhone 15 Pro Max that he also came across the same issue as mine. Maybe we need to wait for another firmware update to fix this issue. Or maybe just his and my batch got affected.

Feb 27, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #375 of 432
I just confirmed with my friend who also has the Hiby FC6 and iPhone 15 Pro Max that he also came across the same issue as mine. Maybe we need to wait for another firmware update to fix this issue. Or maybe just his and my batch got affected.
There's another issue that I found. Even on my PC, sometimes music higher than 24 bit 48khz cannot be played, the DAC seems to be stuck at 24 bit 48khz max. If I try to play anything higher than that, it produces the noises exactly like it did while playing DSD files on my iPhone. The 24 bit 48khz is the exact limitation of UAC1. I think HiBy FC6 got problems switching between UAC1 and UAC2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back