Hi-fi Grade Headamp Released: MiniBox-E
Jul 2, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #16 of 39
Hello, just like to first thank all the people here for the great reviews, that made me to register and seek out for the first time some amps!
600smile.gif

I have just bought some really expensive 'phones, shure SE210 (don't laugh! They were expensive to me...
frown.gif
'phone wise... )

Since i'm now regretting i didn't shell out a little bit more for the SE310 (not that i don't love my SE210) so i want to get some amps! was thinknig of getting the Headroom total airhead, if it was not for the sleek MiniBox-D!!
But now i'm wondering if i shouldn't make the same mistake twice....

Should I go for MiniBox-E or just go with MiniBox-D?

I travel a lot (now in HK incidently), and the idea of making my SE210 sound even better is appealing when im on the move!

Just sent an Email to Head Direct for shipping details to HK, so just need to decide which one to go for, before i move again....
frown.gif

Jul 2, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #17 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by gz76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plus, it looks like an ATM card not a credit card. I think that makes the numbers fairly useless, doesn't it? This is getting a bit off topic tho.

Not so sure about that red edge detail - looks a little rough. Maybe that was an early sample used in the photo? Anyone got impressions on this unit?

I just tried ordering a few $.$$$ with the numbers and a 07 date..no work..

I am joking and I like the amp, looks nice but write "built in interchangeable op amp socket"..

Jul 2, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Onizuka-gto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since i'm now regretting i didn't shell out a little bit more for the SE310 (not that i don't love my SE210) so i want to get some amps! was thinknig of getting the Headroom total airhead, if it was not for the sleek MiniBox-D!!
But now i'm wondering if i shouldn't make the same mistake twice....
frown.gif

I am curious to see how they handle IEMs - will the sound floor/background be black (quiet) enough? Will it be too loud or have balance issues due to too much gain?

Anyone tried it with IEMs?

Will continue to follow this thread.

Jul 2, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #20 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am curious to see how they handle IEMs - will the sound floor/background be black (quiet) enough? Will it be too loud or have balance issues due to too much gain?

Anyone tried it with IEMs?

Will continue to follow this thread.

sorry for asking, but what is "IEMs"?

Edit: oooooh. my shures? this amp hasn't been tested with them?

well just read this review, http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=230613

and i kinda understand what he says, shures SE210 are smooth, warm, and real sharp compared to my 10yr old rp-f290 technics closed headphones. But it lacks real bass, (hence sorrow of not getting the dual driver SE310)
hopefully the miniBox-D/E would put the ummp into it. personally the SE210 sounds great from my laptop, but when played from my NDSL/Mobile Phone it kinda...mmm...i can't really describe it.... Flag, fadish, slightly colour-less? it lacks something.... :/

As for the shipping cost, i got an ambiguous email reply from 'Fang' at Heed Direct.....
plainface.gif

I was hoping they would have a distributor, or have stocks in HK so the delivery cost would be more or less nil.

But I got no real quote in either USD/GBP/HKD just got a "Yes, we do ship to Hong Kong"

thanks, but...how much?
blink.gif

might have to send another Email....

Or is it the policy of Head Direct to not give out shipping quotes, unless I order, nankai?

Jul 3, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #22 of 39
Quote:

Free USPS Priority mail to US. Add $10 shipping to Worldwide.

wait.....please correct me if im wrong, but does this mean MiniBox-E cost only US$159 with worldwide SHIPPING (international)?
basshead.gif

thats just under GBP80/HK$1,250!! :O

If that's the case....well...I'll just have to buy it....
mad.gif

Edit: I found that ebay user who sells MiniBox-E and is just a short hop across the HK border in PRC, was tempted to order from them, but realised s/he doesn't offer any warranty....
frown.gif
....still worried how long this would take to deliver....

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #23 of 39
I posted a seperate "mini" review in the amp section.

The more I listen to the amp (burn-in), the smoother it sounds. The initial harshness of the highs has greatly diminished, and the MiniBox-E gives my portable setup a larger home setup feel. I honestly believe for the money I am willing to spend I have found my portable setup, with the MiniBox-E being the final piece.

Jul 16, 2007 at 6:55 AM Post #24 of 39
I am finding this also as I continue to use my own amplifier. I am also noticing a very obvious improvement in dynamics and headroom in comparison to say the standard headphone output of my Cowon D2 (which is well regarded but to me sounds a little ‘polite‘). The MiniBox E still misses out very slightly on the ‘out of the head’, smoothness and sound staging of my GS Solo. Though probably not that significant in the portable environment and is soon forgotten once the music gets going.

Jul 18, 2007 at 11:51 AM Post #25 of 39
Hi there..

Just got mine today.. (minibox-E) !

I'm a new member... (Hi !..) with close to 17 years of love dedicated to a pair of Beyer DT 770 pro's (he he... learned @ 16 yrs old how good they were
wink.gif
, 2 years DT 990 pro's and 3 months Grado SR 80's.. for the pod..

Bought the minibox-e primarily to drive the Grado's properly with the pod, hoping the 990's might have a little fun too, but alas.. first impressions are stunning and extremely quiet noise floor with the Grado's, but not enough to drive the enourmous 990's @ 250 ohms... hope this helps..

Would anyone one care for a more in depth review in time ?

thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 18, 2007 at 1:45 PM Post #26 of 39
Oops.. maybe I wrote too soon... better have a good sleep and much better listen, as the minibox appears to be driving not only my 250 ohm 990's but also my 600 ohm 770's... but again the SR-80's are sounding very good indeed.. can't wait until there is more than 5 hrs total on this little guy...

Aug 8, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by pesciolino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would imagine this is better than the bithead, right?

It is not a dac... Isn't the bithead a dac as well?

Aug 10, 2007 at 12:10 PM Post #30 of 39
Well, about a week ago I flipped the bass boost switch on the back of the amplifier and the lever broke off in my hand
eek.gif
. I was putting no great strain on the switch just the normal amount of pressure to move what are a set of slightly stiff switches fitted to this amp. Fortunately no real problem to me as I don’t use the bass boost feature. I assume that at some time the unit might have been dropped or had fallen on the bass boost toggle and this had weakened it. Remarkably for such a tiny item there is a spring and actuating rod inside. However not wanting to go to the bother of sending the unit back, I removed the switch and hard wired the pcb pads to the off position. Perhaps the manufactures of this amp should change the (Japanese) switches on the next batch they build, or arrange for some form of protection bars to be fitted over the socket screws to reduce the switches vulnerability.

While I had the unit open I swapped the supplied Analog Devices op amps with a pair of Burr-Brown OPA604s that I had lying around in my odds and ends box. Interestingly the Burr-Browns sounded slightly smoother and rather better with my Grado SR125s that form part of my portable rig. Having had a look at the output on the scope to check there were no problems (as the 604 is known to be a bit ‘touchy‘) I left the Burr-Browns in position and put the covers back on and have been happily using the MiniBox like this ever since.

While keeping an eye on those toggle switches I remain reasonably content with this little amp. It still (after around 60 hours of use) hasn‘t got the ultimate smoothness or sound stage depth of my GS Solo (£450 and plugs in the mains) but everything else is there including lots of output and great dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back