Hi-fi Grade Headamp Released: MiniBox-E
Aug 13, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Onizuka-gto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry for asking, but what is "IEMs"?

Edit: oooooh. my shures? this amp hasn't been tested with them?

well just read this review, http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=230613

and i kinda understand what he says, shures SE210 are smooth, warm, and real sharp compared to my 10yr old rp-f290 technics closed headphones. But it lacks real bass, (hence sorrow of not getting the dual driver SE310)
hopefully the miniBox-D/E would put the ummp into it. personally the SE210 sounds great from my laptop, but when played from my NDSL/Mobile Phone it kinda...mmm...i can't really describe it.... Flag, fadish, slightly colour-less? it lacks something.... :/

1. IEMs= In Ear Monitors or something similar due to the fact that they fit inside of the ear canal versus ear buds that rest outside of the ear canal.

2. You have to realize that when you purchase a high quality IEM such as Shure, Etymotics, UE, etc that they are going to make your music sound better if it has a quality source audio file and a good quality source...but if you use a low quality source (like your cell phone) and have low quality audio files, the IEMs are going to reveal the weaknesses in the gear that you are using and will have that lackluster feel to the sound. Great headphones and IEMs really need a good quality source and a decent quality audio file to sound their best...especially with IEMs as they are so sensitive. A decent amp and a good audio file (i.e. lossless) will allow you to get the most out of your IEMs. Also, make sure that you are getting a proper seal with the Shures as if you don't the bass will suffer. I don't have a background with the SE210s but I do have the E500 and the E5c. I am not saying that you need to go out and buy the best out there but the first step really needs to be upgrading your music files if you haven't done this already.

Sep 9, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Combat Audio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2. You have to realize that when you purchase a high quality IEM such as Shure, Etymotics, UE, etc that they are going to make your music sound better if it has a quality source audio file and a good quality source...but if you use a low quality source (like your cell phone) and have low quality audio files, the IEMs are going to reveal the weaknesses in the gear that you are using and will have that lackluster feel to the sound. Great headphones and IEMs really need a good quality source and a decent quality audio file to sound their best...especially with IEMs as they are so sensitive. A decent amp and a good audio file (i.e. lossless) will allow you to get the most out of your IEMs. Also, make sure that you are getting a proper seal with the Shures as if you don't the bass will suffer. I don't have a background with the SE210s but I do have the E500 and the E5c. I am not saying that you need to go out and buy the best out there but the first step really needs to be upgrading your music files if you haven't done this already.

I couldn't agree more with Combat Audio. In addition, the more high-end your setup progresses, the more you'll begin to notice that almost anything less than lossless won't do. Compressed audio files will seem to miss depth and accuracy of the original. So keep in mind the bit-rate of your files if its starting to sound lackluster.

Oct 10, 2007 at 9:29 AM Post #35 of 39
Sfor seems to be a form of simple crossfeed. To switch it in circuit the toggle needs to be up (and away from the label - oddly). I never use it.

The much too bright Blue front led stays off when charging, but there is a small Red led on the universal charger.

Oct 11, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermionic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sfor seems to be a form of simple crossfeed. To switch it in circuit the toggle needs to be up (and away from the label - oddly). I never use it.

The much too bright Blue front led stays off when charging, but there is a small Red led on the universal charger.

Thanks. Actually I have had a MiniBox-E for a couple of weeks and it is a fantastic amp. Definitely towards the top of the heap.

Oct 11, 2007 at 9:27 AM Post #37 of 39
That’s most interesting and thanks for confirming my suspicion that it is quite a good little amp. Though have nothing to compare mine with apart from my Slee, and as mentioned previously there seems no great deal of difference between them. Well apart from the Slee having more depth / instrument localisation (into HD 650s) and more ’refinement’. It sounds more real, and so it should. Though the op amp swap in the MiniBox brought the sound nearer to the Slee. To my mind the MiniBox is an odd little thing; the switches seem too fragile, the led is too bright and the construction is somewhat ’different’ (but ok), but I have been contently using mine with a Cowon D2 and a pair of (slightly) modified SR125s for about 15 hours a week since it was introduced.

Oct 21, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyl930 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could someone tell me what inputs and outputs there are? From the picture, they look like 1/8inch audio in/out ports. Does it support optical in? Thanks.

It has a 1/8" input and a 1/8' output in the front. There is also an input in the rear for the charger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back