HFI-780 or HFI-2200?
Aug 25, 2009 at 7:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Crooks141

Head-Fier
Im considering buying either of these headphones, HFI-780 and HFI-2200. I know the difference is mainly open vs closed, but i would like a more detailed answer about how differently they sound. This would be my first expensive pair of headphones and I want to get the right one. If youve heard these headphones please give your opinion. (Also if you could compare the bass between each, i know there is a different between open and closed some info would be great)

I will be using onboard audio, and listen mainly to trance music and maybe the ipod touch.

(I know there is a thread quite similar to this one, but the maker of that thread is asking an entirely different question, the poster already owns one of these headphones, thnx)

Jun 23, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #3 of 9
yeah, good question! I hated the Pro750, even though some ppl I trust had rated it as high as their cd3k...I'm currently listening to an HFI780, pretty damn impressed so far after some drastic EQ to make it flat
basshead.gif

I can get a 2200 for cheap, wondering how that'd sound in comparison?

EDIT: humm 2200 is open/velours/S-Logic and discontinued, 780 is closed/pleather/S-Logic+ and still in production.

Jun 23, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #4 of 9
Make sure you get the updated hfi-2200 with aluminum (not plastic) faceplates. The color scheme is nicer, better accessories, and possibly updated drivers, Ultrasone claims updated hfi-2200 has the same driver as the ugly hfi-2400. Don't worry about s-logic vs s-logic plus, even the new pro 2900 (open version of pro 900) only has s-logic, no open ultrasone headphones have plus, it's some arrangement of holes and stuff in the earcups that only works for closed headphones. Raw detail is very likely less than hfi-780 especially bass, and sound signature will be laid-back vs forward sound of hfi-780, possibly too laid-back. While listening to radio, language cd's, and movies, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was listening to a musical like Mary Poppins.

Jun 23, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #7 of 9
the 780 is a really nice phone, the trebles are not quite "high end" but the SS is very "natural"(I fully agree that the cd3k SS is artificial and too wide)...too bad they keep using that lousy uncomfy chinese OEM shell. After several hours of use, my ears feel crushed as hell. This phone is only 100H old, so the trebles might possibly improve in the future...and I think some ppl use third party(BD?) pads to improve comfort.

This said, I can fully understand why a pimped 780 could be called "almost" high end(ALO780=95% of Edition 9?)

I do need isolation and it's on par w/ the DT770 Premium I think...which is always nice.

Jun 23, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #8 of 9
dark1, it's because hfi-780 is closed-back, it allows resonances especially in bass which I consider useful detail, at least when you're interested in getting the most out of ultrasone's attempt at surround sound. Hfi-2200 allows sound to escape, giving an airy sound with less punch..

leeperry, I agree, it is too bad ultrasone uses such heavy headband, and embarassing that monster uses the same OEM for some of their headphones. You can stretch the flexible headband to reduce pressure on your ears though, but you don't want it overdone or you will lose bass and shift too much weight to the top of the headband which can get painful. Only bend the flexible top section of the headband, the other parts aren't flexible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back