hfb - Bounce House - chat aka shtpost central
Jan 1, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #331 of 713

Bollywood is turning more and more into another Hollywood hype train. In under 8 mins I saw ripoffs from The Matrix, Kill Bill, various Jackie Chan movies, and Hong Kong styled Bruce Lee thrown in for good measure.

Jan 1, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #332 of 713
Bollywood is turning more and more into another Hollywood hype train. In under 8 mins I saw ripoffs from The Matrix, Kill Bill, various Jackie Chan movies, and Hong Kong styled Bruce Lee thrown in for good measure.

Nah. They've been at this for decades. For example, in the 1960s, there were spy thrillers. In the 70s, gangster movies and martial arts flicks...

It's going on all the time in international cinema (1960s Japan also made some pretty remarkable James Bond-influenced flicks, but nobody outdid the Italians at that). If there are fewer instances of American movie makers ripping off foreign films wholesale, it would have more to do with Americans generally being culturally inward-facing rather than because they were above such behavior. 

Jan 1, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #333 of 713

Not only rip offs but Bollywood started to make official remakes of Hollywood movies. For example, Indian branch of Fox Star released this year remake of 'Knight and Day' called 'Bang Bang'.

I was pleasantly surprised that there is such music in Kazakhstan - a group Project Zenit. They sing in English. I'm wondering how are they going to survive here?

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #334 of 713

Nah. They've been at this for decades. For example, in the 1960s, there were spy thrillers. In the 70s, gangster movies and martial arts flicks...

It's going on all the time in international cinema (1960s Japan also made some pretty remarkable James Bond-influenced flicks, but nobody outdid the Italians at that). If there are fewer instances of American movie makers ripping off foreign films wholesale, it would have more to do with Americans generally being culturally inward-facing rather than because they were above such behavior. 

Let us not forget that the Americans are ripping of a lot of the great movies from Asia and Europe, because they know their public will not watch the original version. It some instances these remakes are quite a scandal. A few examples: Infernal Affairs, Old Boy, Let the Right One In, Dark Water, Ring, etc.

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #335 of 713
For a few of those examples at least, the American versions are fully, legitimately licensed, and the controversy was mostly over how much worse they were than the originals. If the U.S. production of The Ring was not above-board, they would not have given Koji Suzuki a writing credit.

Jan 2, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #336 of 713
For a few of those examples at least, the American versions are fully, legitimately licensed, and the controversy was mostly over how much worse they were than the originals. If the U.S. production of The Ring was not above-board, they would not have given Koji Suzuki a writing credit.
of course they are legitimate... It is just the principle of doing a remake a couple of years later just to make a movie palatable to the American public

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #338 of 713
I never knew Dark Water was a ripoff. Loved that movie, the filmatography with its use of shadow and color during the spooky scenes was interesting.

Jan 3, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #340 of 713
of course they are legitimate... It is just the principle of doing a remake a couple of years later just to make a movie palatable to the American public

I agree. Calling it a "ripoff" is a stretch, though. That implies the remakes were completely unauthorized in addition to being disappointing. 
biggrin.gif

(The Magnificent Seven is kind of the opposite: A great movie in its own right but a literal remake of Seven Samurai, and I don't know if the studio that produced it ever admitted to that. They'd have owed Kurosawa's producers a lot of money if they had.)

Jan 4, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #342 of 713
Jan 6, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #343 of 713

I agree. Calling it a "ripoff" is a stretch, though. That implies the remakes were completely unauthorized in addition to being disappointing. 
biggrin.gif

(The Magnificent Seven is kind of the opposite: A great movie in its own right but a literal remake of Seven Samurai, and I don't know if the studio that produced it ever admitted to that. They'd have owed Kurosawa's producers a lot of money if they had.)

This post somehow reminded me of Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai. It was influenced by many eastern movies. One of my favorite films, BTW.

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #344 of 713
Man today is a sad day for democracy... A couple of terrorists shot 12 people in Paris, in one of France' key historical satirical newspapers, because the paper had published caricatures of Mahomet. Among the dead are some of the greatest satirical comic strip artists that were part of my childhood. Such a sad sad day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back