HF-2
Jul 9, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #211 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow - more and more reviews indicate that the HF2s are positioned to dethrone the RS1s.

I think the RS1 is Grado's 5th or 6th best can.

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #212 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

curious, what's the other top 5 grado cans you like better than the RS1? HP1000, PS1000, GS1000, PS1, and HF2?

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #213 of 1,149
Curious as to whether those that recently received their HF-2's have been able to burn them in long enough to be able to feel confident that they've arrived at their final state.

It's interesting the comments about their level of refinement in comparison to the PS-1's and other higher end grado's. I would've expected as much, but there were also a couple of comments about the HF-2's competing with the PS-1 that caught my attention.

I'm glad that we're starting to get a broader picture of their relative performance.

Jul 9, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #214 of 1,149
Quote:

Perhaps - but those few models that MAY better the HF2 are the top-end Grados which have prices usually exceeding 1K, more than twice the cost of an HF2.

Jul 9, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #215 of 1,149
For me, this can is special more than just limited edition. It is HF1+HF2 in one. 555 I already have confirmed it.

Jul 9, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #216 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to agree. After spending the past few weeks with the HD800 I was severely underwhelmed when I tried the HF2 for the first time yesterday. I spent a few hours with them last night and this afternoon. There is no doubt that they are an excellent option at their price point, but to my ears they definitely are not the giant killers I was expecting from some of the reviews I've read. I've owned multiple PS1's in the past and still own an HP-1000 along with my HD800. Owners of the those two Grado models have nothing at all to fear about the HF2 possibly lowering their values. It has excellent tone, normal for a Grado, and is superb with vocals(specifically female) but it is definitely nowhere near as refined as the other two. I'm hoping break in brings something to the equation because right now something seems lost in the range where cymbals are played. It's like there is a smear/blur to the sound in that region that is really bothering me. Also, is it just me or are these new bowl pads slightly smaller than the bowl pads from a year or two ago? The pair on this HF2 is killing my ears and the bowls have never bothered me in the past.

oh, no...I have been spending the last month with the hd800s-*gulp*

Jul 9, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #217 of 1,149
The HD800 is technically the better headphone, but depending on your taste, choice of amps, listening preferences, etc, you may end up preferring the HF2s to them. Or vice versa. I personally acknowledge that my preferences are often for the "lesser" of two options for any number of reasons. I picked the ESW9s over the ESW10s because the added detail of the ESW10s was fatiguing, and that's not what I wanted in the situations I was using my portable cans, as a peripheral example of what I'm talking about. So read what others say, but at the end of the day, it's up to you to decide what your preferences are, and which heapdhones end up being for you. Luckily, lots of our vendors offer in home trials, so you can listen on your own gear and decide for yourself.

Jul 9, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #218 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
curious, what's the other top 5 grado cans you like better than the RS1? HP1000, PS1000, GS1000, PS1, and HF2?

My personal taste would go something like this:

1) HF2
2) PS1
3) HP1000
4) RS2
5) HF1
6) RS1

Jul 9, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #219 of 1,149
Quote:

My personal taste would go something like this:

1) HF2
2) PS1
3) HP1000
4) RS2
5) HF1
6) RS1

R U Sure FOTM is not in play?....this is the first line up I've seen that has the RS1 below the RS2? I cannot comment on the RS2 as I've never heard it.

Jul 9, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #221 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by winzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why do you place the rs-2 higher than rs-1 the monkey ? i'm planning to buy either rs-1 or rs-2 right now...mind to share some thoughts ? thx

Why bother, when there's still HF2s to be had? Don't like the typo?

Jul 9, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #222 of 1,149
Quote:

why do you place the rs-2 higher than rs-1 the monkey ? i'm planning to buy either rs-1 or rs-2 right now...mind to share some thoughts ? thx

Preference of sound signature I would guess. They do not sound the same you know...
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #223 of 1,149
Funny, I had no reservations or 2nd thoughts about selling my RS-2 when I got my first RS-1 and put flats on it. In truth - I was not happy with the RS-2. Now after having my HF-2 since Monday - thinking of selling one of my RS-1 (keeping the Vintage pair) and craftily attempting to procure a 2nd HF-2 for backup. ..............anyway, that is my feelings about the lineup. I enjoy my RS-1/flats, and beginning to prefer the HF-2/bowls.

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #224 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
R U Sure FOTM is not in play?....this is the first line up I've seen that has the RS1 below the RS2? I cannot comment on the RS2 as I've never heard it.

FOTM for what? The RS2? That would be weird.

Plenty of people prefer the RS2 to the RS1, and I just happen to be one of them.

Quote:

I prefer the RS-2 for rock, especially with flats--a touch warmer and a bit more forgiving to my ears. I find the RS1 more fatiguing.

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #225 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Curious as to whether those that recently received their HF-2's have been able to burn them in long enough to be able to feel confident that they've arrived at their final state.

It's interesting the comments about their level of refinement in comparison to the PS-1's and other higher end grado's. I would've expected as much, but there were also a couple of comments about the HF-2's competing with the PS-1 that caught my attention.

I'm glad that we're starting to get a broader picture of their relative performance.

I don't burn-in my headphone except by listening. I figure that if they'll change, they'll change. Right now, I have about 20-30 hours on mine since CanJam, and they haven't changed noticeably since I first got them, but I haven't been really paying attention, as I was just enjoying them.

They are not as refined as the high-end Grados. Why would they be? They are also not as refined as my R10s, HD800s, O2s, HD600s, UE11s, or other high-end headphones I've both owned and/or heard, but my high-end headphones also need equally matched high-end components to bring out their sound quality. The HF2 are extremely enjoyable headphones with just a pico amp/dac and my laptop. They may not be the most refined, but they have the killer mids and tone that I and others have been mentioning since day one, and without some of the treble annoyances of other Grado models; they have a really nice bass presentation without needing flats, and a slightly better soundstage presentation than some models (I don't have enough experience with RS1s or 2s to comment here re soundstage). I don't need all my gear to be perfect in every way. I do need it to sound excellent and bring me into the middle of the music. The HF2s do that for me. They aren't HD800, and they aren't PS1s. I could care less. I really like them for what they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back