HF-2 or the RS-1
Feb 19, 2010 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 173

pwnm30rdi3

100+ Head-Fier
Which one?

I love Rock, Alternative, some HardRock, and some lighter rock.
I'm not sure which one to get?

Thanks,

Andrew

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 173
I think both are awesome Grado cans. I prefer the RS1/RS1i as I find they that they have slightly more detail and are more refined and work very well with jazz too.

The other advantage I find is that the RS1s are really light and thus more comfortable on my head.

But, Todd the Vinyl Junkie will be having a blow out B stock sale on the HF-2s this Monday for under $400...a real steal.

If you use the search function, there are probably 2 or 3 threads on the HF-2/RS1 comparisons.

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #3 of 173
Yes, it is hard to decide what is better. At the moment, I may just prefer the organic, open sound of the relatively bass-lite RS-1 with dusty old rock and folk tunes. With flats, of course. However, if you are into a lot of bass heavy tunes, then the HF-2 may be the way to go. They are really unique Grados, and, yes, will be available at a discounted rate this Monday. Yippee!

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it is hard to decide what is better. At the moment, I may just prefer the organic, open sound of the relatively bass-lite RS-1 with dusty old rock and folk tunes. With flats, of course. However, if you are into a lot of bass heavy tunes, then the HF-2 may be the way to go. They are really unique Grados, and, yes, will be available at a discounted rate this Monday. Yippee!

I agree that the RS1s are more organic and open, but not bass-lite? They have a great bass impact (maybe not as boomy) but deeper and better controlled.

What would you consider the K701/2's bass?
wink.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #6 of 173
I think HF2 is more suitable for rock in general while RS1 is for jazz. HF2 has more grit and is more aggressive while the RS1 is more open and refined. They are clearly in the same tier and share the same kind of sound though.

Feb 19, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think HF2 is more suitable for rock in general while RS1 is for jazz. HF2 has more grit and is more aggressive while the RS1 is more open and refined. They are clearly in the same tier and share the same kind of sound though.

I wouldn't put them in the same tier...John Grado didn't either (they were priced more in line with the RS2). The major issue I have is that the HF-2s is the reduced ability to resolve small details and lack of refinement. They (RS1/RS1i) are IMHO still among the best cans for rock out there, but the HF-2s almost as good for less $$$.

Feb 19, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #8 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that the RS1s are more organic and open, but not bass-lite? They have a great bass impact (maybe not as boomy) but deeper and better controlled.

What would you consider the K701/2's bass?
wink.gif

Ha! I thought I was going to regret that comment.
wink.gif
Well, compared to the HF-2's, as best I recall, the RS-1's impact/"oomph" is a bit lacking. Keep in mind that the direct comparison now ongoing is between the Grado and my relatively bass-heavy MD5000's. Probably unfair to hold the Grados up to those bass canons. So, for regular ears, I stand corrected. The RS-1's have lots of bass that is tight, controlled, and not at all rolled-off. It extends very nicely.

Feb 19, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha! I thought I was going to regret that comment.
wink.gif
Well, compared to the HF-2's, as best I recall, the RS-1's impact/"oomph" is a bit lacking. Keep in mind that the direct comparison now ongoing is between the Grado and my relatively bass-heavy MD5000's. Probably unfair to hold the Grados up to those bass canons. So, for regular ears, I stand corrected. The RS-1's have lots of bass that is tight, controlled, and not at all rolled-off. It extends very nicely.

You are right that the bass is not as boomy as the MD5000 or the D7000. And I completely agree on your other comments!
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #10 of 173
At current retail price (counting th $350 B-stock sale) HF2 is a much better deal.

At current used market price (where they're almost the same) RS1 is a better deal.

With RS1 you're buying a very beautiful hand-crafted wood headphone with a long-lasting reputation for excellence and a cult following larger than any Grado besides perhaps the SR60 (which really doesn't count since it's the most affordable).

With HF2 you're buying a very beautiful limited-edition metal/wood hybrid headphone that looks about as modern as I'd ever want my Grados to look. It's the least Grado of the Grado in sound too. That's good for me because I wanted to ease myself to the neutral side lest I be forever a slave to John's awesome coloration.

Feb 19, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #11 of 173
Quote:

You are right that the bass is not as boomy as the MD5000 or the D7000. And I completely agree on your other comments!
bigsmile_face.gif

How are you finding the RS-1i's to your previous RS-1's, anyway, MH? Any notable differences that you can make out, now that you have likely burnt-in the RS-1i's plenty?

Feb 19, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #12 of 173
Quote:

I wouldn't put them in the same tier...John Grado didn't either (they were priced more in line with the RS2). The major issue I have is that the HF-2s is the reduced ability to resolve small details and lack of refinement. They (RS1/RS1i) are IMHO still among the best cans for rock out there, but the HF-2s almost as good for less $$$.

I disagree. I find that the HF2 has better timbre and is more flexible than the rather genre-constricted RS1i. They are in the same level IMHO and as such, your musical preference will be the ultimate factor. I know there is one guy who sold his vintage pink-driver RS1 because he preferred the HF2.
tongue.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #13 of 173
For rock, the HF-2 whips the tail off the RS-1 and maybe even the GS1K. It has magnificent bass, which comes in handy when you're trying to stay within the Grado constellation. The RS-1 is more even and a better headphone for subtler styles of music, especially classical, acoustic and jazz. I found it to be even better than the GS1K - in that regard - because its high-mids are not recessed, or as recessed, as those of the GS1K. This may be a headache with rock, but for styles like classical and jazz, it adds more detail and "refinement."

Feb 20, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #15 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree. I find that the HF2 has better timbre and is more flexible than the rather genre-constricted RS1i. They are in the same level IMHO and as such, your musical preference will be the ultimate factor. I know there is one guy who sold his vintage pink-driver RS1 because he preferred the HF2.
tongue.gif

Win!

The HF-2 & RS-1 are clearly the same tier. Please remember that the original pricing of the HF-2 was intended to be a benefit and outstanding value for the Head-Fi membership. It succeeded.

I enjoyed the RS-1 but ultimately decided to let it go. I still have the HF-2. True to tone, better timbre and to my ears on my equipment a much better all around can. Music sounds like, well, music. Pitch and tone are accurate on the HF-2. I did not find that to be true of the RS-1. After a steady diet of the HF-2 I can no longer listen to the RS-1 and enjoy it.

If you need a can for rock only save yourself some $$$ and get the SR225. This was my first pair of Grados and it is arguably the best value in the Grado lineup. The 225 has a bite and edginess that I find perfect for rock. But that HF-2 "B" Stock sale is a killer deal if you can get one and don't mind what the headphone looks like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back