HF-1 vs. RS-1
Oct 28, 2005 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

acs236

Headphoneus Supremus
Thanks to a fellow Head-fier, I was able to get the HF-1s for a little bit. I was curious about them and wanted to hear them, but because I already owned some top-tier Grados, I couldn't justify the purchase. I thought I'd post some comparative impressions. I'd like to do a full review, but I doubt I'll have the time.

The first thing that I popped into my head when I started listening to the HF-1s was the bass. It's quite plentiful -- surely more bass than any other SR series Grado. In terms of bass quantity it is quite similar to the RS-1. The HF-1's bass is full, rich, and organic. Compared to the RS-1, it is a bit boomy, unrefined -- more of the one note variety. With the RS-1, the bass is articulate and nuanced, more detailed. Overall, I think the HF-1 bass is good -- better than a lot of headphones in its price range.

The midrange on the HF-1 sounds a bit recessed. The bass clearly dominates. And while the RS-1's midrange is very clear, HF-1s suffers from a bit of congestion. That being said, the HF-1's midrange is still pretty smooth and enjoyable.

I'll try to post more impressions later. The HF-1s have been a very pleasant surprise. In some ways, they seem to share more in common with the RS sound than the SR sound.

Oct 28, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #3 of 25
Looking forward for more impressions for sure !
biggrin.gif

I'm interested in these informations !

Oct 29, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #6 of 25
I've only tried the HF-1 with my Prehead, which has very tight bass to begin with. Even with the Prehead, the HF-1 sounds a bit boomier and less refined than the RS-1 -- hardly surprising.

Oct 29, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #7 of 25
i'll be doing an indepth comparo between the rs-1 and hf-1 on monday too.. i'll post some impressions then.
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #8 of 25
Your descriptions of the bass and congestion sound EXACTLY like a non burned-in HF-1. Do you know how new they are? I noted the same thing. But in time, give them a hundred or so hours at least, you will see the bass improve and the congestion gets worked out.

Oct 29, 2005 at 8:41 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
I've only tried the HF-1 with my Prehead, which has very tight bass to begin with. Even with the Prehead, the HF-1 sounds a bit boomier and less refined than the RS-1 -- hardly surprising.

are these with the bowl pads?

Ive owned the sr-80s and with the bowl pads they were excessively bright and fatiguing to my ears. would you say the hf-1s are considerably toned down? Or would the alessandros be the way to go?

Nov 19, 2005 at 6:25 PM Post #12 of 25
I had an opportunity to compare RS-1 and HF-1 side by side today. I used my RP5.1 as an amplifier and some Wadia CD-player as source. I don't remember the model for Wadia. It was some older model.

Shortly: HF-1 are more forward sounded. They have narrower soundstage than RS-1 and resolution is worse. They are also slightly brighter than RS-1. Overall RS-1 has more refined sound.

Otherwise they sound very similar. I liked RS-1 better but my friend liked HF-1 better. We also had SR80 there but there's just huge gap between HF-1 and SR80 in sound quality so I won't say anything else about them.

RS-1's are better headphones but then I'm not sure would I pay so much for them.

Nov 20, 2005 at 2:57 AM Post #14 of 25
I had a chance to listen to the HF-1 at the Hamilton Head-fi meet. Being an RS-1 owner, i find the HF-1 and RS-1 to be entirely different cans. I wasnt too crazy about the HF-1's sound. I felt its bass was unrefined and the midrange lagged behind, the highs reminded me very much of the RS-2, very rolled off and bright/edgy sounding. Compared to the RS-1, its night and day. I really couldnt detect any similarities within the 2 besides maybe the slight ease of sound due to the wooden componants. I find the RS-1's highs to be lightyears ahead of the HF-1, having MUCH less brightness and more linear fasion (more even all the way up to the top). The RS-1 also has an amazing ability to seperate the entire spectrum, you hear alot of information in the midrange even on complex passages. Yes, what some have said about the soundstage on the HF-1 is very true, its very closed. The RS-1 definatly has more points there.

Overall, the RS-1 is a high-end can period (.) The HF-1 is a modded SR225. The differences between the two, in my opinion, are beyond questioning. If you want to even the comparison, id ask "How is the HF-1 compared to the RS-2". There are still many differences between such a comparison, i do beleive the RS-2 still beats the HF-1, but it is a much closer reference.

Some people dont understand how different the RS-1 is compared to the rest of the grado lineup. I was AMAZED to here the RS-1 after hearing every Grado headphone, developing a understanding of Grado's limitations and strengths, the RS-1 surprised me more then i ever thought possible. Thinking it would sound close to the RS-2, it was a completely different headphone. I think its safe to say that the RS-1 stands alone as the top rein of Grado, anything below it only possesing mere attributes or slight similarities to its signature.

Nov 20, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhydon
Some people dont understand how different the RS-1 is compared to the rest of the grado lineup. I was AMAZED to here the RS-1 after hearing every Grado headphone, developing a understanding of Grado's limitations and strengths, the RS-1 surprised me more then i ever thought possible. Thinking it would sound close to the RS-2, it was a completely different headphone. I think its safe to say that the RS-1 stands alone as the top rein of Grado, anything below it only possesing mere attributes or slight similarities to its signature.

The RS-1 is good and with some music it's great. But top rein? Surely that honor goes to either the PS-1 (John series) or HP-1000 (Joe series).

That said, I have all three but would not consider selling the RS-1 even though I think the latter two are better overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back