Hey, i'm new....and i've got kind of a skullcandy problem...
Sep 25, 2012 at 4:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

polychromatic

New Head-Fier
So first off,
Hi xD
(My 1st post xD)

Anyway, my skdy problem.
i have about six pairs of skullcandy headphones...and five of them are broken. The wires are shot even though there's no wear and tear on (most) of them.

Today my the cord on my aviators just started sputtering out. it does whenever i move. i literally cant even walk to class and use those headphones at the same time which is really disappointing because i just got them in feb. and i've been so careful with them. they're almost always in the case, rarely leave the house, have no wear on them....yet theyre shot to hell.

so i'm pretty much done with skdy now. i actually found a pair of headphones in my closet that i remember getting from a flea market for like, $2 (i was in my closet getting all my broken skullcandies). they literally sound just as good as my aviators (to my untrained, non-audiophile, ears) and i'm wondering why the hell they were in my closet and not on my head all this time. Anyway I'm sending all 5 pairs in for the warrenty, and by my calculations i should end up with around $250-sh in skullcandy store credit.

i seriously am not going to buy skullcany anymore (unless it's a pair of buds that are on on clearance or something) but i am way to frugal to let all of that store credit go to waste.

1) What are the best (in terms of build quality AND sound quality) buds and over the ear headphones from skdy? Also, please, nothing that hurts to wear....they have some really uncomfortable stuff....for example agent, and smokin' buds are the most uncomfortable things to ever grace my ears...

and
2) what brands should i look into buying (at a skullcandy price point) that don't completely suck. please don't recomend beats, theyre really ugly and overpriced as hell and sound pretty much like my aviators (and my $2 colby headphones) except with too much bass. Also, by skullcandy price point i mean like $50 and under. I got the aviators for free....theyre way out of my meager price range.

the ONLY other brand i've tried and liked was one that was on display at best buy called the klipsch(sp?) image one. they were cheaper than skullcandy and beats and in my opinion sounded better than both (but my ears are untrained and such so -shrug-  what do i know really?)

sorry if this is too long...

TL;DR
1.what are the best skullcandy headphones (in ear and over ear) in terms of build quality and sound quality.
2. what's good in the under $50 range?
3. teach me the ways of your audiophilia xD

thank you, kindly ^_^

Sep 25, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #2 of 29
Sep 25, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #4 of 29
Sep 25, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #5 of 29
1.what are the best skullcandy headphones (in ear and over ear) in terms of build quality and sound quality. There's no such thing. Sorry.
2. what's good in the under $50 range? What do you listen to? How are you using your headphones? At home, while traveling? Working out? What is your source (iPod, phone, MP3 player, computer, ect)? 
3. teach me the ways of your audiophilia xD Hang around and read, read, read. Also, use the search function if you read about a headphone that interests you. Chances are it's been talked about and there will be several threads already. But at the same time, don't be afraid to ask questions.

Also, check out these threads...it might help some...

http://www.head-fi.org/a/glossary-of-terms

http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

http://www.head-fi.org/a/a-hopefully-helpful-headphone-buying-guide-for-newbies-by-boomana

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #6 of 29
1. The list is super helpful. Thank you.
2. I have the "old" 2011 aviators that don't have the removable cord. Honestly, I forgot they made that upgrade. I don't mind getting another pair of aviators now.
3. I will check out the links when I get home to a computer. I'm using my iPod right now xP
4. I was only asking about good skdy products because I'm going to have over $200 store credit with them that I. Don't plan on wasting. Just give me the best of the worst....

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #7 of 29
What store do you have the credit with? Perhaps people can suggest other brands that are a better value. For example, BestBuy carries Sennheiser. 

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #8 of 29
Sep 25, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #9 of 29
1. The list is super helpful. Thank you.
2. I have the "old" 2011 aviators that don't have the removable cord. Honestly, I forgot they made that upgrade. I don't mind getting another pair of aviators now.
3. I will check out the links when I get home to a computer. I'm using my iPod right now xP
4. I was only asking about good skdy products because I'm going to have over $200 store credit with them that I. Don't plan on wasting. Just give me the best of the worst....

You wasted $200 on Skullcandy to begin with?

Anyways, the new Skullcandies have been a lot better than old ones. The company has taken some steps away from the form over function principle.

If you're going to spend that credit, grab a Mix Master if they give you enough credit. Those actually aren't too bad. I would personally pass on the Aviators, but I've never heard the new ones.

I got a 2012 Skullcandy Titan in-ear for $30 while on a flight. They're okay. Bass is heavily emphasized and soundstage is virtually nonexistent. But they're acceptable for needing a cheap iem while on the run. I've experienced no quality issues with them so far.

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #10 of 29
the hesh 2.0 is alot better than the old skullies as well, build quality and sound-wise

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #11 of 29
You wasted $200 on Skullcandy to begin with?
Anyways, the new Skullcandies have been a lot better than old ones. The company has taken some steps away from the form over function principle.
If you're going to spend that credit, grab a Mix Master if they give you enough credit. Those actually aren't too bad. I would personally pass on the Aviators, but I've never heard the new ones.
I got a 2012 Skullcandy Titan in-ear for $30 while on a flight. They're okay. Bass is heavily emphasized and soundstage is virtually nonexistent. But they're acceptable for needing a cheap iem while on the run. I've experienced no quality issues with them so far.

What store do you have the credit with? Perhaps people can suggest other brands that are a better value. For example, BestBuy carries Sennheiser. 

the hesh 2.0 is alot better than the old skullies as well, build quality and sound-wise

I didn't really spend 200. The aviators I won in a contest ($150) and the rest were all bought on
sale -shrug- I am really curious about their new stuff.....it'd be so much easier to stay away form skull candy if their stuff wasn't so visually appealing.

Its a skull candy warranty so my credit is with skullcandy.com.

The hesh 2.0 do look a lot better (quality wise and aesthetically) but I'm still worried about comfort. Skdy has a knack for making things with tight head bands that squeeze the hell out of my head.

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #12 of 29
You could always get the most popular, best deal Skullcandy you can, leave it new in the box, and sell it on Ebay. Then you'd be free to get whatever you want.  

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

the ONLY other brand i've tried and liked was one that was on display at best buy called the klipsch(sp?) image one. they were cheaper than skullcandy and beats and in my opinion sounded better than both (but my ears are untrained and such so -shrug-  what do i know really?)

Rule number one: If it sounds good to your ears, don't listen to anyone else.  Could save you a fortune in the long run, especially if you stick around here for too long
wink.gif

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Rule number one: If it sounds good to your ears, don't listen to anyone else.  Could save you a fortune in the long run, especially if you stick around here for too long
wink.gif

This.  I've paid up to $450 for headphones, and owned about sixty different pairs, and the ones I really like are ~$150, or even under.  Best for your tastes does not always mean more expensive.

Sep 26, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

please don't recomend beats

thank you, kindly ^_^

The chances of that happening here would be exceedingly slim.

Might be a stupid question, but can that credit be redeemed for a gift card or certificate of some kind?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back