Herbie Hanc0ck tonight...
May 3, 2007 at 3:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gz76

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm off to see "An Evening with Herbie Hanc0ck" tonight at Hammer Hall in Melbourne. Has been quite a long wait... got my tickets almost six months ago!

Anyone else going?

May 3, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 8
Ive seen Herbie a few times in both funk and jazz settings. Based on the band (Vinnie Coliatua on drums?!) it should be more funky. Good times.

It doesnt the matter the context, Herbie always sound good, even if the people around him are severely lacking . (I say this seeing him play with both John Mayer and Widespread Panic.)

May 3, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 8
Well, what can I say. Just got home and am totally hyped from this gig. I had the best seats in row A on the balcony, providing an excellent view of a thoroughly entertaining concert, with a little surprise... I had a suspicion something was up when I noticed a second piano off to the side and some tape marking a spot for it centre stage. Well, wasn't too long before Herbie introduced a special guest (also in town for the Jazz Festival): Chick Corea! Could the night get any better - one of my regular favourite CD's is "An Evening with Herbie Hanc0ck and Chick Corea" so this was extra special even if it did only last for a short set. Overall, the performance was a wonderful blend of solo and quartet action, moving between acoustic and electro, past and present. Awesome!

May 3, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #5 of 8
i got a chance to see him with Wayne Shorter, Dave Holland and Bryant Blade sometime ago here in Hong Kong. he was kind of active and having some fun with the crowd but his performance that night was really realy average.

May 3, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive seen Herbie a few times in both funk and jazz settings. Based on the band (Vinnie Coliatua on drums?!) it should be more funky. Good times.

It doesnt the matter the context, Herbie always sound good, even if the people around him are severely lacking . (I say this seeing him play with both John Mayer and Widespread Panic.)

John Mayer severely lacking in skill/talent? Watch this 20 second clip from like 6 years ago and come back and I dare you to say the same thing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XakDN4PGX8Q

May 3, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 8
This isn't a John Mayer thread, sorry for the derail. Let's hypothetically say John Mayer is good, I just meant Herbie was still fantastic even with decidedly lesser company.

Never got to se Herbie with Wayne, id imagine that would be fantastic, as well as any other concert that includes the likes of Brian Blade.

Pretty amazing that Chick Corea was there. Im not a huge fan of that album, but if I was im sure id wet myself. Glad you enjoyed the show.

May 3, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by gz76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, wasn't too long before Herbie introduced a special guest (also in town for the Jazz Festival): Chick Corea!

A left nut would officially have been offered for your ticket (and a return flight).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back