Help with tube rolling on woo audio WA22
Aug 27, 2011 at 10:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

rmilewsk

Head-Fier
I just received my new wa22 about a week ago to go with my LCD2's. I purchased the updated tube set from woo audio http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa22.html

The overall sound is still a little soft for me. I want a more neutral sound. I don't know anything about tubes and was wondering if anyone could help me with some good suggestions on tube upgrades? What all the numbers mean? Good places to purchase tubes if you have suggestions on new ones.

Thanks

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 20

Quote:
Are you feeding it a balanced source?

^^^ This makes a HUGE difference.

Secondly, look at your tubes. I'd strongly recommend the Sylvania or Tung-Sol 7236 power tubes. I recently added the Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z driver tubes and wow...great synergy with the WA22 (and my LCD-2s).

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 20
Seems like you have everything required to get pretty good volume out of the WA22. The upgrade tubes you have are 7236, CV181-Z, 274B, with a balanced source.  Does your source also have a volume control, possibly not turned up high enough. What about your cables, are they decent? The only suggestion I have beyond checking those items is the TS5998, it's got the most gain out of all the power tubes. You should also have a back up pair of tubes in case something happens. This will also allow you to compare them to each other in case there's actually something wrong with the tubes themselves. I'll be getting a pair of LCD-2's (rev2) in a couple of weeks, so I don't really have anything to compare to myself (other then the HD800 which sound pretty good).

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #6 of 20

Quote:
^^^ This makes a HUGE difference.

Secondly, look at your tubes. I'd strongly recommend the Sylvania or Tung-Sol 7236 power tubes. I recently added the Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z driver tubes and wow...great synergy with the WA22 (and my LCD-2s).

What rectifier you are using?  We are the minority that love the Treasures.  I love them with either metal based GZ34 or EML 5U4G.

Aug 31, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 20

Quote:

What rectifier you are using?  We are the minority that love the Treasures.  I love them with either metal based GZ34 or EML 5U4G.

I've tried them with my Sylvania and Raytheon 5U4G. Fantastic bass impact and definition, liquid mids and extended/balanced treble (without being bright in anyway). Are they expensive? Yessir...likely why they get some bad press, but make no mistake about it, these are fantastic sounding tubes! I've got a 274B Sophia Princess Mesh tube coming later this week and I'm currently chasing down a Mullard 5AR4.

Aug 31, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #10 of 20

Quote:
Mullard 5AR4 is a great tube, just becareful not to run the WA22 for a long time, your amp will run much warmer than 5U4G or 274B.

Will do...I usually only have a few hours per session anyway. Thanks.

Sep 1, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #15 of 20
I have the Sophia Princess Mesh Plate 274B rectifier and I just ordered ty EML 5U4G. Let's see how it sounds. I also have the Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z in already for the driver tubes. I have the upgraded Sylvania 7236 NOS upgraded power tubes but I've read some comments saying they just make the WA22 louder and not better so I haven't put them in yet.

It seems plenty loud to me already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back