Help with headphones for movies
Jun 26, 2010 at 9:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

onyx00

New Head-Fier
I posted over at AVS, and the guys through out some suggestions and then said go check out Head-Fi.  I've been doing some research on a pair of headphones for watching movies.  I just moved to an apartment and I just feel like I can't turn up the volume on movies as loud as I want (and when loud scenes come on, I chicken out and turn it down, haha).

My setup is that I have a Pioneer SC-05, where I plan to plug the headphones in to.  Almost every movie I watch is in DTS or DD (or their "HD" versions).  When I currently watch movies without headphones I don't have a subwoofer hooked up, and the only bass I get is from my Mirage OS3's, which as any familiar knows, they lack bass, which doesn't bother me too much.

I plan to use the headphones exclusively for movies, nothing else.

Initially I was looking at the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-air headphones, but I was warned about the lack of bass.  However, they are really in the price range where I want to be.

Any suggestions?

Jun 26, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #2 of 10
Yeah, a nice pair of open headphones will give you a more speakerish sound signature.  For movies, it's worth getting something with at least a bit of bass, especially if you watch action movies.

If you don't mind anemic bass, the AD700s might be a decent choice.  It's hard to come up with much else that competes for games/movies at that price range.  If you move up into the Beyerdynamic DT880/990 range, you get a lot more punch, but they are also significantly more expensive.

Jun 26, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #3 of 10
ad700 are good with movies that have alot of dialog

but i dont like them with action movies coz they lack bass and im looking right now for dt990 from what i heard they are great for movies and have good bass
ph34r.gif

Jun 26, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
ad700 are good with movies that have alot of dialog

but i dont like them with action movies coz they lack bass and im looking right now for dt990 from what i heard they are great for movies and have good bass
ph34r.gif

The DT990 also need and amp and have recessed mids. Not really ideal for movie watching imo.

Jun 26, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #5 of 10
Hmm, well I see some DT 880's for about $200, which is double my price range, but if they really are that ideal I could swing it.  It sounds like they really are much more ideal for movies.

Do I need to be careful to buy these from an authorized retailer?  Or is Beyerdynamic not very hung up on those details?  Some manufacturers are real sticklers when it comes to warranty and who you purchased from.

EDIT:  Sorry, just noticed; are there various models of these?  I see a 250 Ohm, but one mentioned 32 Ohm.  Is that just a typo.  I assume my Pioneer SC-05 can drive these with no problem?

Jun 26, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #9 of 10
The DT880 is a very good headphone for movies. They do a pretty good job with the mids, and while I'm not familiar with your AV receiver, most of them have plenty of power to drive a headphone like the DT880.

Yes, there are different models of the DT880 with different impedances. Impedance matters depending on what kind of amplifier you're going to use - some are particular about what they drive. I don't think your Pioneer will have trouble with either.

Jun 26, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #10 of 10
Agree with Uncle erik, you have a great source (most of the pioneers i've tried, have enough power for headphones) for driving the DT880's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back