Help with Headphones/Amp/Soundcard connection for best sound setup
Jan 6, 2013 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

czyzler

New Head-Fier
[size=small] Hey All, new to the site and have a few questions to get the best possible sound out of my headphones. I am kind of a newbie when it comes to this.[/size]

[size=small] 1.) I currently listen to music/movies/games on my desktop PC using this setup: Soundcard- HT Omega Claro Halohttp://www.htomega.com/clarohalo.html which has a built in headphone amplifier. Since I use a 5.1 speaker setup when not using headphones, I am feeding the amplifier via RCA cables to a Denon 1913 Receiver. When using my headphones Sennheiser 380 PRO, I usually connect the them to the headphone jack on the front of the receiver. I am curious as to your opinion if I would be getting better sound connected straight to the soundcard rather than the Denon.[/size]

[size=small] 2.) I use a second pair of Sennheiser 380 PRO at work and when I travel. I connect directly to a laptop or to a Nexus 7 or Galaxy Note. I have been looking into getting a FiiO amplifier (E11?) to get a little better sound, however I am confused if I need a DAC or just the amplifier. Could I use the DAC models on a tablet/phone. I didnt see any LOD cables like they make for Iphones, and wouldnt want dual DACs right?[/size]

[size=small] 3.) I am looking to purchase a new set of cans for home use to replace the 380s. I have heard really good things about the BEYER DYNAMIC DT880-Pro Headphones (600 Ohms). My soundcard says that it can push up to 600 Ohm, your thoughts? Also kind of relates to the setup in question 1.[/size]

[size=small] Thanks for your expertise![/size]

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
[size=small] Hey All, new to the site and have a few questions to get the best possible sound out of my headphones. I am kind of a newbie when it comes to this.[/size]

[size=small] 1.) I currently listen to music/movies/games on my desktop PC using this setup: Soundcard- HT Omega Claro Halohttp://www.htomega.com/clarohalo.html which has a built in headphone amplifier. Since I use a 5.1 speaker setup when not using headphones, I am feeding the amplifier via RCA cables to a Denon 1913 Receiver. When using my headphones Sennheiser 380 PRO, I usually connect the them to the headphone jack on the front of the receiver. I am curious as to your opinion if I would be getting better sound connected straight to the soundcard rather than the Denon.[/size]

[size=small] 2.) I use a second pair of Sennheiser 380 PRO at work and when I travel. I connect directly to a laptop or to a Nexus 7 or Galaxy Note. I have been looking into getting a FiiO amplifier (E11?) to get a little better sound, however I am confused if I need a DAC or just the amplifier. Could I use the DAC models on a tablet/phone. I didnt see any LOD cables like they make for Iphones, and wouldnt want dual DACs right?[/size]

[size=small] 3.) I am looking to purchase a new set of cans for home use to replace the 380s. I have heard really good things about the BEYER DYNAMIC DT880-Pro Headphones (600 Ohms). My soundcard says that it can push up to 600 Ohm, your thoughts? Also kind of relates to the setup in question 1.[/size]

[size=small] Thanks for your expertise![/size]

I would say connecting headphones directly to the Claro would improve the headphone's audio quality.
Running RCAs from the Claro to the Denon with give you nice 2-channel stereo sound.
If you use optical from sound card to Denon or HDMI from computer graphics card to Denon, you will get full 5.1 (6 channel) surround sound, for the speakers.

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks Purple.  I actually do that. I have the RCA going from the headphone amp RCA jack to the Denon for listening to music in stereo.  I have an optical running as well for gaming and movies.  

I guess the main question is would the headphones sound better from the soundcard directly for music, or the same running it from the headphone jack on my Denon?   Thanks again!

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Thanks Purple.  I actually do that. I have the RCA going from the headphone amp RCA jack to the Denon for listening to music in stereo.  I have an optical running as well for gaming and movies.  
I guess the main question is would the headphones sound better from the sound card directly for music, or the same running it from the headphone jack on my Denon?   Thanks again!

Chances are the Denon headphone jack has a high impedance (30 to 60-Ohm?) and the Senn 380s are 54-Ohm.
With the Senn 380, they should sound better with a headphone output jack of 7-Ohms (or less)
Otherwise you going to have audio problems, like a bloated bass.

And chances are the headphone jack on the Claro is going to have something like a 10-Ohm impedance.

Jan 7, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #5 of 5
Assuming you are using them mainly for the music, i would suggest you upgrade your headphones first, and look into getting a dac/amp after. Personally i would go with something with less impedance, and get a portable amp (e07k or e17 if you plan on using it with your sound card with optical or coaxial out) if you get a pair of portable headphones, you can basically use the same rig at home or travelling.

usb dac definitely works with your laptop, it is certainly possible to get it working on nexus 7 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/627459/use-a-standard-usb-dac-with-a-nexus-7-step-by-step-guide
but it is probably not possible not get the usb dacwith the note (i assume you are talking about the phone) but the line in with the amps will still work, i find poweramp (app) does make it sound better.

so i feel it is worth spending the extra money for the dac. 

As for your first question, play a song you are familiar with and trust your ears

Users who are viewing this thread

Back