Help with Headphone Repair (Hifiman Arya)
Aug 20, 2022 at 8:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

N0sferatu

500+ Head-Fier
I'm out of warranty and the one driver stopped working (no audio from left driver). Hifiman offered to replace it from v2 (what I have now) to v3 (current stock) for a fee with me returning the v2 to them. If it's a simple fix I prefer to do it myself and keep my v2. I'm 99% sure my amp killed it. Bought a brand new amp and was breaking it in. All of a sudden while I'm listening to music I changed track and voila no sound from left driver. No pop, nothing abnormal sound wise. Sound was very distant in the headphone and the amp got really weak. Max volume barely at an audible listening volume on both the Arya and other headphones I tried.

Weird.

Anyways, amp getting replaced but simply put, is this something within my scope to try and fix myself or is it just not worth it and not a DIY repair? If I have them replace it then I'm going to try and fight the amp manufacturer to fit the bill since the amp was not even 12 hours old when it happened.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #2 of 4
Since you're out of warranty and it's already broken, open it up and see if it's something you're comfortable with.

For a diy, I don't know where you'd find v2 drivers.

Aug 20, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #3 of 4
Since you're out of warranty and it's already broken, open it up and see if it's something you're comfortable with.

For a diy, I don't know where you'd find v2 drivers.

Is there a DIY video somewhere before I mess with this?

Aug 20, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #4 of 4
The pads come off and there are screws behind them. There are photos on another site where someone disassembled a teardrop Hifiman, but they didn't show the entire process.

If you open it and it looks like too much on an initial inspection, just put it back together and send it to Hifiman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back