Help with Game Boy Micro circuit please
Apr 18, 2007 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

flamerz

Headphoneus Supremus
So my R bumper has stopped working, and I've finally opened up my Game Boy in hopes of fixing it. However, I have no idea what I'm doing. Here are some pics, of the right bumper. Please let me know if you see anything wrong or know how to fix this. I'd send it to Nintendo, but I'd have to pay more for the repairs than what I paid for it. Not to mention shipping.

Here are some pictures.

00006pn9.jpg

This first picture is from the top right of the Game Boy. Encircled in red is the button for the Right bumper, the broken button. It clicks fine, but it doesn't register anything.

00007ss4.jpg

This is the backside of the circuit. I don't know if this has any relevance or is of any help, so if it does, then good thing I took this pic. Encircled in red is the area behind where the button is.

00001tp6.jpg

This is the button. Under it are two solder joints. Not much else to say.

00003qa6.jpg

Please excuse the grain of this picture and the upcoming ones. I had to turn up the ISO in order to take a quick shot with my point & shoot. It doesn't have the most adjustable features, to say the least. Sorry for the blur also. This is a side shot of the button. Dunno if it will help.

00004bz2.jpg

Here is the back side. It shows the back three solder joints. They all look fine, no?

00005jr6.jpg

Here is the last side of the button. It shows virtually nothing.

I was hoping the problem would be something as simple as a solder joint, but it doesn't seem so I have no idea of the internals of the little button casing, and don't know how or why it would slowly but ultimately stop working as it did. Please let me know what you guys think. Also, let me know if different or better shots are necessary.

Thanks,
Alex

Apr 18, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 16
Do you have a DMM? Check continuity when the button is pressed vs not-pressed. If the solder joints look fine, check if the button is still working.

Apr 18, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #7 of 16
A DMM is a Digital Multi Meter-->Used to measure resistance, current and voltage. If you had one or had access to one, you could have hooked up the circuit to it to see if current and voltage are changing when the button is pushed.
Without, you pretty much have to shoot from the hip. Check all three solder joints carefully to see if solder has cracked, if a lead can gently be tugged away, or if strain has broken a joint somewhere. If any of these is the case, you'll have the luck of being able to fix it by just resoldering the joint in place again. If a lead is broken, you may have to try to see if soldering will fix it, but if the lead is broken in the wrong spot, the piece will probably have to be replaced.
If soldering doesn't work, most likely the actual switch is broken. If so, you may be able to find a serial number on it and use this to track a replacement part and replace the button. Otherwise, I can't think of anything else that you'd be able to do other than call Nintendo about a replacement, or just buy a new one.

Apr 18, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's a DMM? In other words, no.

What's your level of soldering skills?

Given that you didn't know what a DMM was and do not have one, I'd say you are better off letting Nintendo fix it for you. How long have you had it? I imagine it's not under warranty anymore? Otherwise you should really just RMA it.

-Ed

Apr 18, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #9 of 16
Not under warranty, but it would cost more to repair it than the amount I bought it for.

I'm don't have much soldering skill at all, but I'm not a complete moron. Hey, at least I can solder cables to headphones! That's all I've needed up until now.

Hmm, from the feel of it, the solder joints feel just as strong, if not stronger than the left bumper's. Looks like it's out of my hands, unless someone has a better idea.

Apr 18, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #10 of 16
Sorry for the double post, but I've thought over this a bit. If I'm not able to fix it in the next few days, I'm up for selling it if you guys think you're able to fix it, or just have a bunch of games that don't use the R bumper (Pokemon, anyone?
tongue.gif
). Go ahead and send me offers now if you're interested.

Apr 18, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #12 of 16
Should probably post it in the FS section if you want to sell it for parts or what have you.

Apr 19, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #13 of 16
I'd like to fix it more than sell it, but if I end up stuck after a couple more days, then I'll put up a new thread.

Edit: Seems like I have high chances of getting it fixed now. Thanks dcheming!

Apr 19, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #14 of 16
get a real gameboy, get a DS Lite
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back