Help with custom iem purchase
Jun 15, 2012 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

twylight

500+ Head-Fier
sup head fi - my wallet crying as a type this.

I am looking for a custom IEM.  General music, TV, gaming.

Cost - around $1k us
Long listening with frequent removals due to wife/coworkers
doesnt make my ear canals "itch" after an hour
all stock, no upgraded cable voodoo to bring out the airiness
Prefer US unless a chinese model is twice as good and half the price

I am coming from w4 with um56 which I am fairly happy with except they fall off sometimes and make my ears itch.

Thanks!

Jun 15, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 7
Save yer money...

Get some Custom Molds for a good universal iem.

Then when your ear canals change in two years, you'll be able to afford to do it all again.

Just my opinion, Jim

Jun 15, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 7
Not everyone's war canals change dramatically enough to be unable to get a good seal in just 2 year. Ive got almost 3 years on mine and still going strong.

Not to mention you don't have to re-purchase a whole new IEM every time you loose the seal. I'm pretty sure reshells cost less/ the ame as getting new custom tips every year.
Custom IEMs will also inherrantly fit better than most universals with custom tips.

Jun 15, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 7
Dunno what your listening preferences are, but if you value incredible mids, highs and lows, I'd seriously research the Westone ES5. It's a huge step up from the other phones in my sig. 

Jun 16, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Prefer US unless a chinese model is twice as good and half the price

Unique Melody? Their miracle is excellent and it's certainly much cheaper than the JH13. They have bad customer service though...

Really though, are you prepared to spend 1k on a custom? Custom sleeves fit almost as well as a custom so you might have to look towards soft shelled customs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back