Help with CMOY bought from Ebay
Nov 30, 2012 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

darinmc

New Head-Fier
I purchased an 18v CMOY amp with the 4556 opamp from a reputable seller on ebay.  It sounds great, but I wanted to try other opamps since the cmoy is dip-8 and opamps aren't too expensive. So I bought the top amp in this selection:

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?k=TLE2082&vendor=0&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ptm=0&fid=0&quantity=0&PV16=6547

It sounds good, I feel like it is flatter on the lower end (placebo maybe, idk) but when it gets to about 75% volume there is a hiss during silence.  Clearly, reading through these threads, there is a lot of science going into these amps and I really don't have the opportunity to put a lot of time into learning it.  I can solder pretty well, however, so I can make changes to the setup if I have someone who can lead me in the right direction.

So, did I just get the wrong version of the TLE2082 or is the answer much longer than that?  I can provide either a link to the ebay item which has a photo of the tin open, or I can take new pictures if that can help get me to where I want to go.

Any help or ideas would be great, if I'm just in over my head please just tell me, I can always just be happy with what I have, but a little project and maybe some knowledge along the way could be cool too.

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 5
TLEs stink, IMHO.  They're not really for audio, even though you can make them operate that way.  As I understand it, they're an improved version of their old jellybean opamps, the TL0-series.  Texas Instruments doesn't even publish frequency response in their datasheets.  You should stick with OPA's or AD's:
http://www.tangentsoft.net/audio/opamps.html

The OPA2134 is the classic CMoy opamp.  Others have been happy with the OPA2227.  There are others covered in that link above ...

Also, the orginal CMoy design always included the option for resistors on the opamp's output to control hiss.  If the CMoy you purchased doesn't have those, then that may be what's causing it, but I tend to think you just mis-applied a non-audio opamp.

Nov 30, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #3 of 5
http://www.ebay.com/itm/18V-CMOY-RA1-JRC4556-Headphone-Amplifier-Amp-Cinn-altoids-Compatible-For-Grado/170951243391?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=007&category=163896&cmd=ViewItem

That is the same design that I purchased.  Based on the image of the open tin, does the board have a reasonable setup?  The caps are Nichicon 470uF 25v golds.  Everything else, including the color banding on the resistors (i think?) are the same.  His design looked clean and the price was hard to beat, so with the 4556 I'm super happy, just thought I might be able to get a different sound signature from another opamp.  I plan on buying a couple opamps so any recommendations with the above setup would be welcome (outside of the two already offered).

Thanks!

Nov 30, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 5
Absolutely, I've had that page bookmarked for some time.  It's just that it hasn't been updated since 2004 so I've tried to find newer sources of information.  Just seeking opinions here, that's all.

I went ahead and ordered an OPA2227 and an AD823.  

Thanks for your help.  : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back