Help with choosing an IEM on a budget
Oct 7, 2011 at 1:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

epicur

New Head-Fier
After hours of research and being only marginally closer to a decision I figured I would just ask the experts...

I'm looking for a sub $100 pair of IEMs. I'd qualify myself as a wannabe audiophile. My top priority is an analytical sound with a wide frequency range, but I'm not willing to sacrifice quantity of bass. I will be using these at a high volume with a lot of outside noise and it would be ideal if I could still hear clearly and be able to easily separate the bass, mids and highs. My head and ears are somewhere between medium and large and I've used medium and small tips with previous IEMs I've owned. If it doesn't preclude these qualities, I'd prefer a cable-over-the-ear style of phone. I'm flexible when it comes to soundstage and isolation is not a big deal as long as they're loud enough. I'll be using these with a quality source.

If you're familiar with the Beyerdynamic DT 880 PRO, that is the exact sound I'm looking for. A 'studio' 'reference' style of sound.

It's been quite difficult to find IEMs with these qualities. It seems every pair with good bass also has a warm sound. The Hippo VB was my top choice until I read that it has a V shaped response. I've also considered some Fischer Audio (silver bullet, eterna), MEElectronics (SP51), soundMAGIC (e10, e30) and Xears (TD III, XSR300) products. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 7, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #3 of 9
Being on a budget I understand that build quality will suffer. I will be using the IEMs both outdoors and indoors. As long as they work and sound good I'll be happy.

Oct 7, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
 My top priority is an analytical sound with a wide frequency range, but I'm not willing to sacrifice quantity of bass.

erm for it to be analytical it must have ruduced levels of bass.  like wanting to eat a lemon and then saying but you want it to be sweet.

Oct 7, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 9
Perhaps my command of the lingo is not excellent. Here's a quote from the product description of my DT 880 on the first site google gave me:

"Specially designed housings and an improved system equalisation turn this “remake” of the studio classic DT 880 into an ideal studio monitoring headphone, with analytical qualities. The complete sound spectrum is reproduced in detail from a well defined sub bass to the highest highs."

That's basically the type of sound that I want.

Oct 7, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 9
@epicur
[size=10.0pt]Build quality of 'cheap' IEMs is not necessarily bad[/size], but it differs per brand and model. Since you will use your IEMs outdoors I personally would let go XEARS. They deliver great sound for the price but their build quality, in my opinion, is very poor. Personally I think the SoundMAGIC E30 fits your need in terms of over-the-ear design and sound signature. Please check ljokerl's thread for a detailed review. The alternatives you name do not have a over-the-ear design by nature, also their sound signature is more bass orientated then the more balanced E30.

Oct 8, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #7 of 9
Thank you for the feedback. Not being one to jump to conclusions I continued my search and came across the MEElectronics A151 for $40 at Newegg. I've never had the chance to listen to an armature driver before but I must say, I'm leaning towards these just to try it out. The incredible price is just icing on the cake...

Oct 9, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Perhaps my command of the lingo is not excellent. Here's a quote from the product description of my DT 880 on the first site google gave me:

"Specially designed housings and an improved system equalisation turn this “remake” of the studio classic DT 880 into an ideal studio monitoring headphone, with analytical qualities. The complete sound spectrum is reproduced in detail from a well defined sub bass to the highest highs."

That's basically the type of sound that I want.

erm thats a shop.  shops are as a rule not the best places to use for accurate or unbiased opinion.

Oct 11, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #9 of 9
...I wasn't looking to get an opinion from that shop about a pair of headphones I already owned, I was looking to get an opinion from you about the headphones I should buy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back