Help With Assignment Part1 - Topic: "Do You Think The World now is too Americanised?"
Sep 7, 2006 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

dj_mocok

Headphoneus Supremus
I got two separate presentations coming next week, my first one is making a presentation with a topic: "Do you think the world now has become to Americanised?"

Basically my answer is yes, by making points from:
1. cultural
2. economy point of view
3. political.

Can someone give me some input on what I should say/mention about this? This is for marketing class by the way. lol

And could you please please not get into politic stuff that will result the thread being locked? I really need some help with this, and if it's locked I'd be doomed.

So maybe I can say something like lots of tv programs/movies are from us, and news as well, maybe fashion? (so in marketing point of view, if the country is open to US culture, it is okay to base the product from US's style? However if not, then maybe it should become one factor that we should be careful of)

What else... trade agreements; I think US got a lot of voice in determining International Trade Agreements too, no?

I guess since Head-fi is full of US members and lots of members from around the world as well, this will really help me by having point of views from both American people and the people from other countries..

Anyway, thanks for the help in advance. But please please don't make this thread locked....

Sep 7, 2006 at 11:38 AM Post #3 of 33
Uh, you spelled Americanized wrong. It's with a "z".
wink.gif

Best,

-Jason

Sep 7, 2006 at 11:44 AM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Uh, you spelled Americanized wrong. It's with a "z".
wink.gif

Best,

-Jason

Lol nice
wink.gif

For me, yeah, there are americanisation (probably a made up word) that was caused by mostly tv
Most of us eat american fast food, listen to american music, wear what american people wear in the tv and hey! we listen to headphones recommended mostly by americans
wink.gif

Sep 7, 2006 at 11:56 AM Post #5 of 33
keyword or phrase you might want to check out and look up: GLOBALIZATION
smily_headphones1.gif

*food* - mcdonalds, "mcworld," cocoa cola, starbucks etc

without gettng political of course, just ask yourself another question, "what makes you think a country is open to US culture?" think of coercion in this case (or the willingness to be open to US culture as you mentioned, whichever route you want to take it), that's all i'll say about that, ciao

as far as trade agreements (man i wish i remembered) i think in europe they have that ISO standard, you may want to look into that as well, wish i could give you more info here, but it's been awhile for me, maybe someone can elaborate here

anyways these are just some ideas to kick start your presentation

Sep 7, 2006 at 1:12 PM Post #8 of 33
Thread closing in 10, 9, 8, 7, 6...

Before it does, I would like to say that no one in America's "evil empire" is forcing its culture down anyone's throats (France included). Our cultural products get offered on the free marketplace. If people in India don't want to eat Kentucky Fried Chicken, they can go to their local Indian food establishment. If our products succeed, it's because they're good and have mass appeal, when they fail, it's because they don't. Simple as that.

Sep 7, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #10 of 33
His presentation isn't about spelling, hate and evil empires, and not about the French either.
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
Anyway, thanks for the help in advance. But please please don't make this thread locked....

Sep 7, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #11 of 33
I think the title could be interpreted as the pros and cons of the american lifestyle. The homogenised american lifestyle is clearly being adopted all across the western world and into countries eager to aspire to the american way of life. Americanised is more a term to express the comfort-first lifestyle of the west, (i'd guess) rather than anything about the american way of life in particular. There's nothing inherrently wrong with the clothing/dress/music and even fast food up to a point, but you could talk about the loss of cultural identity of other nations in the face of so all-pervading a culture.

Sep 7, 2006 at 1:56 PM Post #12 of 33
personally, i'm concerned the world is becoming too Australianized.

i mean, Foster's? australian for pisswater.

and Outback? bloomin' onions are for bloomin' idiots.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 7, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #13 of 33
You can talk about American fast food restaurants in Asian countries.

His presentation isn't about spelling, hate and evil empires, and not about the French and Australian either.

Sep 7, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #14 of 33
Don’t confuse Americas Values- Freedom, Equal Opportunity (doesn’t mean equal results), Capitalism etc. with McDonalds, Brittany Spears and the trash coming out of Hollywood.

Maybe the first step is to define what you mean by “Americanised”.

The answer to most of our problems is the Americanization \ Globalization of the World- As everyone becomes more interdependent via Trade, Commerce and intellectual exchanges it becomes less appealing to fight and destroy what you’ve built.

If they hated us so much why are people literally dying to come here? Most people are dying to leave where they live- there’s a big fundamental difference.

Mitch

Sep 7, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #15 of 33
In all my travels (almost all of the Pacific and Pacific Rim countries, a liittle of Europe, and a smattering of others), I have observed that most cherish and hew more or less closely to traditions and practices that have been so for longer than America has existed.

That, combined with the high proportion of peoples in America that have been here in America for only a single or a few generations, in my mind gives rise to this thought: America, and Americans, HAVE NO TRADITIONS OR HISTORIC (spanning centuries) CULTURE, nor do we respect or give much value to that which we do have. So we are used to a high rate of change. We kinda promote it, and we are not adverse to a high rate of change. I am pretty sure that a majority of Americans get stirred up when we face someone on our jobs or in our culture who give us the "that is the way we have ALWAYS done it" quote. Heck, that always makes me look harder for another way.

So, we are pragmatic...we find methods and modify and fit our culture and what and how we do things to that way that works best for us. You lot, just copy us, for whatever reason...we don't make you do it. When you go to a Hollywood movie (which by the way, represents the U.S. as well as a 4-year old teaches sub-atomic physics), you do so as a free agent - we don't make you.

If you feel that the American way has invaded/replaced your way, you are free to select another way. It is the choices you and your peers make that have made your country the way it is. I'll bet that there are a number of examples of something invented outside of the U.S., that we adopted, and then other countries despaired of the "American" way within their borders! We just are pragmatic - having no guidance from our non-history (less than 250 years), we just choose what seems to work best. You are free to invent a better way, or use something that works better for you. Doesn't bother us to use/do something that comes from another country - shucks, we have some of your countrymen/women here who bring us your ways - we see them, try them, adapt them, and then grow the heck out of them, or reject them as something that doesn't work for us.

Perhape we in the U.S. are taking hits for changes that you are/have made in your country, of your own choice, and we have little or nothing to do with the change happening. You keep fussing, and we'll keep changing to better ourselves.

When I was in the Military Academy, one of the most valuable (to me) lessons that they drilled into us was: "If you only react as a tactic of management of any situation, you are not leading, you are following someone else's lead". I would resent always following someone else's lead too.

Sorry, no explanation for styles, besides, I don't understand that at all, as I am an old Engineer, and can't make any judgement about that stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back