Help with a new desktop solid state amp?
Jun 16, 2011 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JGOelfke

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm starting to look for a new desktop solid state amp and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations? I'd like to spend no more than $250-300, which I know narrows my options a fair amount. I currently have the FiiO E7/E9 combo, but I've been having major issues with it. For the second time, an internal problem with the E9 and a connection pin issue has come up and now when the E7/E9 are used as a combo, only the right channel of all music plays. Rather than paying a bunch of money to send it in and get it fixed again, I'm going to go with a new desktop amp.

I would prefer an amp that has a built-in DAC obviously, but if the quality of such amps are fairly low for my price range, I can always run line-in out of my E7 and just use that as my DAC.

So far, I've been looking at a variety of iBasso amps, however I haven't been able to find one within my price range that supports a 6.3mm headphone jack? I may have just missed it in the descriptions, but can anyone tell me if the D6, D10, or D12 support a 6.3 jack?

The other amp I have been seriously considering is the Schiit Asgard, despite the fact that there isn't a built-in DAC (to the best of my knowledge). Basically, I need an amp that can power my MB Quart QP400's, which are 300 ohm and have a sensitivity of 93 dbL.

Anyone have any suggestions for other amps that would work well or any personal experience with any of the ones I mentioned? Thanks!

Jun 16, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 8
If you wait you might be able to get a used Asgard and a new DAC from Schiit to match. They will be making an announcement at the end of the month about the release of their low end DAC. Perhaps the two of them will be around your range. Maybe a little more but not all that bad. You will have the E7 in the meantime. You will get amazing customer service with Schiit and their products are far better than their price indicates in my humble opinion.

Jun 16, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 8
That would be great. I've heard nothing but good things about Schiit's customer service and the quality of their products. Is this the first announcement they are making, or has any sort of release date speculation already been mentioned?

Jun 16, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #4 of 8
Well, to be honest, I cant quote facts off the top of my head, but it seemed to me that you could expect one to release sometime this summer. Im only assuming that the lowest end model will be first based on the past. Also, Im assuming the price will be right, since that is their reputation. You will be taking a big risk that it will be cheap though since I dont think any pricing has even been hinted about. I think the Asgard is fantastic and Mike has a great rep with DACs so I'm expecting the DAC to be fantastic also. If I were you, that is the route I would look too. For my money I think you will have a high end setup for a much more modest price, but as you already know there are a million great options, you just need to snuff them out.

EDIT: If you really want to know all that has been said just search for Jasons posts in the various Lyr threads as well as the DAC anticipation thread. He pops in from time to time and drops interesting nuggets of info. I just know for sure that on June 30 there will be an announcement about the first DAC.

Jun 16, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for your help! I'll definitely look into those threads and check out the announcement when it comes.

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 8
Does anyone have any experience with the Firestone-Audio Fubar line of headphone DAC/amps? I'm looking at the Fubar IV DAC/Amp and the Fubar III MK II DAC/Amp...both seem to suit what I'm looking for pretty well...

Jul 6, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #8 of 8
I think I'm sold on the Fubar III MkII. Sounds like it can support everything I'm looking for and I've read quite a few glowing reviews of the device and Firestone products in general. Sounds fairly upgradable too, with the opamp rolling capability...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back