Help: which headphone to get? Musical preference rock/metal/classical
Aug 14, 2014 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

rajeevrn

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone here!

Too many questions. Sorry about that!

I am planning to get 2 sets open backed and another closed back. Primarily listening to rock/metal/classical. The sound need not be too accurate. I like a midrange emphasised sound. No need for too much bass.

I was thinking of going with grado sr 125i or audio technica ath-ad700(or ath-ad900) for listening connected to my desktop. How is the approach of the Sennheiser HD 598? Is it exciting for rock/metal? Although I own the hd 215, I am not such a big fan of flat sounding headphones, they must sound fun.

For closed ones, I have decided to go with one of the following:

sennheiser hd 25 i ii

sennheiser hd 380 pro

beyerdynamic dt 1350

onkyo es hf 300

Philips fidelio l1

Ultrasone hfi 580

Which one of the above must I go for? Are there any akgs or audio technica headphones that would be better?

I am unable to actually test any of these headphones out as I live in India. Please guide me to what you think would be just right also considering my musical preferences.

Also I dropped the audio technica ath-esw9a from the list because in many reviews I read that it wouldnt be too good for metal/rock. Was I wrong?

Aug 15, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 23
Soundmagic HP150s are great for the genres you listen to. Slight bit of bass emphasis and treble emphasis over neutral, yet not so much to negatively affect the mids. I prefer them to the HF300 and DT1350.

Ultrasone HFI-580 are very v shaped sounding headphones. Not good if you like mids.

Aug 15, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #3 of 23
You are trying to balance multiple things and in the end you will probably have to come to compromise solution.  Very few cans, especially  within the price range that your list of cans suggest.

Where to start...  You need to tell us what you mean by "fun".  For most it signifies a "V" shaped sound signature, but you have said that you prefer mid-centric cans--which is exactly the opposite.

There are few cans that will give you the slam that most seek listening to rock and metal, but is almost the exact opposite of what most seek for classical.

About all I can say with certainty at this point is to dump the 580, as it is a basshead can.

Also if you your computer is a PC and has only on board audio (and not a good sound card), it is almost certainly a poor source for listening to music.

Aug 15, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 23
  You are trying to balance multiple things and in the end you will probably have to come to compromise solution.  Very few cans, especially  within the price range that your list of cans suggest.

Where to start...  You need to tell us what you mean by "fun".  For most it signifies a "V" shaped sound signature, but you have said that you prefer mid-centric cans--which is exactly the opposite.

There are few cans that will give you the slam that most seek listening to rock and metal, but is almost the exact opposite of what most seek for classical.

About all I can say with certainty at this point is to dump the 580, as it is a basshead can.

Also if you your computer is a PC and has only on board audio (and not a good sound card), it is almost certainly a poor source for listening to music.

I do not want a V shaped signature. I think excitement is the word I had used, feeling alive, do you think the sennheiser hd 598 is such a phone?

I do not necessary want a slam when listening to rock/metal just have an aggressive characteristic.

My PC has a creative sound card recon 3d with a 600 ohm amp. Not top of the end, but I believe it is okay.

I hope my question is clearer now with this information. Help! :)

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #6 of 23
The Senn HD 598 is good and velvet smooth, but it is not in any way agressive.

If you can get one, I recommend the 250 version of the semi-open Beyer DT 880.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_DT880

and

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

For closed, I'd get the Senn Amperior, HD 25 i ii or Beyerdynamic DT 1350--if you're OK with portable on ear closed cans.

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #7 of 23

If you can get one, I recommend the 250 version of the semi-open Beyer DT 880.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_DT880

and

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

For closed, I'd get the Senn Amperior, HD 25 i ii or Beyerdynamic DT 1350--if you're OK with portable on ear closed cans.

Would the beyerdynamic dt 990 80 ohm work instead of the dt 880 250 ohm?

Thanks for the recommendations for the closed cans.

What about the philips fidelio l1 and onkyo es hf300? would they suit my music?

Thanks

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #8 of 23
Soundmagic HP150s are great for the genres you listen to. Slight bit of bass emphasis and treble emphasis over neutral, yet not so much to negatively affect the mids. I prefer them to the HF300 and DT1350.

Ultrasone HFI-580 are very v shaped sounding headphones. Not good if you like mids.

Soundmagic hp150 isnt available in India. Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #9 of 23
esw9a is a mellow sweet sounding portable can...
if it is not well powered, it can sound a little dull, dark; ( n guys will sell it away :p )
but if u have a portable amp, it will sound more energized and very very enjoyable...superb mids.
great for vocals, jazz...not sure if it is enuf for metal rock...not my genre.)
( beware of fakes...there is a thread here in headfi to help u identify the genuine from the fakes )

and the wood cups...lovely. 

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #10 of 23
Soundmagic hp150 isnt available in India. Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks

The HP150s have only been recently released, so may be difficult to find yet. I have not heard them, but apparently the HP100 are very similar and can be ordered from international vendors.

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #11 of 23
  esw9a is a mellow sweet sounding portable can...
if it is not well powered, it can sound a little dull, dark; ( n guys will sell it away :p )
but if u have a portable amp, it will sound more energized and very very enjoyable...superb mids.
great for vocals, jazz...not sure if it is enuf for metal rock...not my genre.)
( beware of fakes...there is a thread here in headfi to help u identify the genuine from the fakes )

and the wood cups...lovely. 

Now I am even more confused. But it wasnt so much about energy I think it was about speed..do you think if i listen to a little faster rock if it would be ok?

Thanks

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #12 of 23

and

Would the beyerdynamic dt 990 80 ohm work instead of the dt 880 250 ohm?

Thanks for the recommendations for the closed cans.

What about the philips fidelio l1 and onkyo es hf300? would they suit my music?

Thanks

The DT 990 have a "V" shaped sound signature.  It is quite different from the just-bright-of-neutral-DT880.

I haven't heard the l1.

The Onkyo is too bass oriented.

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #13 of 23
The HP150s have only been recently released, so may be difficult to find yet. I have not heard them, but apparently the HP100 are very similar and can be ordered from international vendors.

I found the HP100 and they retail for about 19000 INR ~ 312$ are they worth that much even if i am paying a bit extra?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back