Help Wanted: Complete Classical Music Newbie With Questions
Jul 22, 2016 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

s1mp13m4n

New Head-Fier
     Hello everyone. I was born legally blind with Optic Atrophy and my eyes are getting worse. I mention this because it plays a roll in what I am trying to do. I would like to learn the basics of listening to classical music but do not know where to start. I live on a fixed income. I have slow and data capped satellite internet so streaming music is out. I have access to my public library and what they may have on hand for classical music. I do not consider myself an audiophile and I do not have the budget for high end gear as I live on a fixed income. That being typed, here is what I do have to work with. 

GEAR:
iPod Touch 4th Gen 64GB
Apple iMac
Headroom Total Bithead
Fiio E7 & E9 bundle
Sony MDR-V6
Audio Technica ATH M50
Shure SE215
Onkyo C-7030 single disc cd player
These items were either gifts over the years or saved up for, etc. 

Using the gear that I have, where do I start with Classical Music? I have a $5 app on my iPod Touch BUT it can not longer update as the iPod only supports up to iOS 6.1.3. The app is called Classical Music 1 Masters Collection. The issue that I have with the app or at least for me is that the quality is poor. The loud parts are badly distorted as if they were recorded with too much gain or something. It makes the music sound like a cheap boombox or something.Here come the questions:

Knowing what you know about me, where do I go from here?
What pieces of classic music should I start with that can be obtained free legally, borrowed, from a library, etc? 
Where can I learn the very basics to help understand about classical music? For example what all the terms mean, basic differences/styles of composers? 
Using the gear that I have, is there a better combo of gear to use that will do the music justice?

I will be going to a rehab center for the blind in my home state to get training for blindness. The training will be for walking with a white cane, cooking, daily living, braille, etc. It will be a resident live in 6-9 month training course. I want to learn about classical music and have some music with me on the iPod before I leave my mobile home and head to the school in a few weeks. Thank you very much for the help with this different/strange request.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back