Help! Trying to get driver/transducer out of Allessandro MS-1
Apr 5, 2012 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Flagger

Head-Fier

Some hair has snuck in to the front of the driver and is causing the infamous Grado rattle.

Looking for some advice on how to get the driver/transducer out of the plastic housing of a MS-1. Had no problems getting the back cups off with the hot water technique. But I cannot get the driver out using both techniques listed at http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/projects/showfile.php?file=grado_prj.htm. 

It seems it is really glued in to the inside/front housing.

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #2 of 2
I'd try the "very gentle sucking" method before you go looking for the mythical hair in your driver. Place your mouth over the face of the driver (totally cover it, get a good seal) and VERY VERY VERY gently suck. If you suck too hard you may destroy the driver. Good luck. 

A lot of what people incorrectly attribute to a hair in their driver (because one person got one hair in their driver 20 years ago - slight exaggeration) is actually a small wrinkle in the driver. Gentle suction will put it back in place. VERY gentle. 

If a little suction doesn't help then its on to looking for the hair.

Its insanely difficult to remove the drivers from a Grado and put them back in the headphones later which is what it sounds like you are trying to do. 

Even if you do get the drivers out they are still fairly well sealed and its again very difficult to take them apart (they do come apart) without destroying something. 

Do the masking tape on the face of the driver (like your removing pet hair from a black garment) thing and see if that helps. 

At this point I would lean towards returning the headphones to the MFR for repair by them. Even if it costs you a few bucks. 

If none of the solutions above fixed it, the next thing to do is peel off the mesh covering the drivers & fish the hair out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back