Help to choose can:) Grado PS-500 vs Grado RS2i vs Alessandro MSPRO
May 12, 2012 at 8:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Raines

Head-Fier
Hi guys:)

I was reading almost all threads about this subject:D

But i wanted an opinion specific to my system.

CD - Marantz cd 63 - mkII KI signature

portable source - hippo gumstick , cowon i9 ,

amp - jds labs c-421 2227 and cmoyBB

headphones - HD555 and alessandro MS1i

Music - radiohead, dEUS, smashing, dave matthews, arcade fire, jeff buckley, muse, some classic too !  no rap and no disco sound or hip hop

I now is not a super system but money doesnt stretch:D

I am selling the HD 555 as i prefer the alessandro signature .

So i am thinking about getting a pair of headphones. 1 close and 1 open.

My ideias are:

open - Grado PS-500 vs Grado RS2i vs Alessandro MSPRO.    -

closed - Denon D2000 vs D5000

I have read almost all threads i can get aboute them. :)

First about the DENON

I know the 5000 has better mids , but is it a very big diference? If i buy the 2000 never hearing the 5000 will i be missing much or just in A/B carefull listening you notice?

About the GRADO i can test in a shop here the models:  60i , 125i, RS1 and GS1000

I will use the 60 and 125 to hear the diference in alessandro/grado sound:D so to see if i will like the MSPRO once i hear the RS1.

the RS1 will give me an idea of the RS2i .

And what about the PS-500? is it similar to the GS1000 sound?

What would be a good cost/quality pack of closed and open headphones?

I like the ms1 sound but i never heard the grado line.

Last question.

Will the RS2 , mspro or PS500 TOO much for my system? And are they a great leap from my ms1?

thanks

May 12, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 6
All the Grado/Alessandro are easy to drive.

Between the Denons, the D5000 will give you better balance,  greater sound stage and a more controlled & smoother sound.  As both of these cans (and the D7000) are being discontinued, I would get the D5000--if you go with the Denon.

The only Grado/Alessandro on your list that I have heard is the RS2i, which is also the least expensive on this part of your list.  It is an outstanding headphone.  It has great frequency response (although the more expensive choices will almost certainly be superior), excellent sound stage, great clarity and a sweet, balanced & natural sound that is very different from the SR line.

May 12, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 6
Kg jag is spot on.

In regards to the grados, do you prefer a bright sounding phone, or a more 'neutral' balance? Because there are some huge differences between the ones you mention.

Alessandro are generally more tamed in the high end which makes them much easier to listen to in my opinion.

Some of the modern grados can 'wow' you initially but its because many of the new phones have a slightly enforced curve in the treble. It can be fatiguing long term. Alhough many people love the curve.

Depends on your personal tastes and requirements.

May 12, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #5 of 6
When i bought my Arcam alpha 8 amp i was also considering the marantz 66SE but i found it to "raw"...

I liked the more "involving" and relax sound of the arcam.

I am going to demo the grados  60 , 125 , RS1 and GS1000 in a near store so i can fell the real grado sound...

But maybe in the long run i prefer a more neutral MSPRO or PS-500...

From the RS1 demo i can make a guess about the RS2... and from the RS1 and my ms1 signature i can guess about the MSPRO...

The PS500 will be more like the GS1000? or more like the RS1 but a tad smotther?

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #6 of 6
Hi Raines,

I've had experience with most of the headphone's you're planning on possibly purchasing minus the MS-Pro's.  As for the Grado's, I think they all sound quite different while remaining very Grado in sound.  The RS-1's can sound fantastic with the right recording with great rhythm and tonality, though with some recordings that sound on the brighter side of things things can become unlistenable at times.  The GS1000's are a very different beast with quite recessed mids that can at times sounds grainy and dry.  Not what I was expecting at all, but not a bad headphone by any means.  If you prefer recessed mids and a bigger soundstage then the GS1000 might be the headphone for you.  They are quite comfortable and light if that's of any concern.  The PS500's have a bit stronger bass, and maybe slightly less natural or "eurphoric" mids, and less air between instruments than the RS-1 IMO, but they also sound quite a bit better with poorly recorded music and are great allround performers and sound great with everything.  When I say slightly less natural mids I mean I had to A/B them back an forth for awhile to notice, and just ever so slightly airy.  They are so very close though that it's almost not worth mentioning, but feel as if I shoul fill you in completely.  Also worth mentioning is the mid bass hump in on the PS500's that can sound a tad bit unatural and overblown at times though this is pretty rare.  It might be your cup of tea, who knows.  Having said that, I find the PS500 the most neutral and is my preference out of these 3.  Also, the cheapest of the bunch and is a great bargain at it's price and I'd be happy to pay $1000 for it.  At $599, it's a very good deal IMO.

Now for the D2000 vs. D5000.  I find the bass hits real hard and low on these 2 headphones with great extension.  I am not a basshead, but the bass here is so good and tight for a closed can  that I find I miss the bass when I switch to another headphone after using one of these!  That being said, they need to have the MarkL mods done to them to tighten up the bass response.  Once it's been modified which doesn't take long or is very difficult, these two headphones are beasts!! Some of the best in their price range and very impressive for closed headphones.  Without the mods the bass response is flabby and has a bit of a "farting" sound.  As for the differences between the two, I find the D5000 more laid back and treble and vocals aren't as harsh as the D2000.  The D2000 is a bit more analytical and neutral, and the D5000 slightly more musical.  Both are amazing headphones for the money.  Just make sure to do the MarkL mods once you make your purchase. 

Anyways, these are my impressions on these headphones.  If you haven't made your purchases yet, hopefully this is of some help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back