Help: The last amp I'll EVER need to buy...
Sep 15, 2003 at 2:17 AM Post #31 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by dvr
Most people who start this hobby do so with the idea they'll build the ideal system and leave it alone, but I rarely see this happen. If you search through the archives, you'll see posts from some of the site's most active participants where they say "my system is perfect, I'm not changing a thing", then you check their profile and find that not a single piece of that old system remains.

I dunno but I think I am going to keep my system for a very long time. Sounds brilliant.
Only thing that might change is the source.

Probably only change if I hear something better.

Sep 15, 2003 at 2:37 AM Post #33 of 34
Quote:

Also, the hard part about choosing an amp isn't picking the point to diminishing returns -- it's choosing the right personality. The RKV, ZOTL, and Prehead are all very good amps but sound very different. If you haven't owned a high-end amp, you might need to live with one for a while before you have a good sense of your tastes.

So my advice is "plan for change", because if you're like most people on this site, it's going to happen.

I suppose it is a good idea to figure out what you like and buy whichever amp has the most of what you like in it. But as I said earlier, it's a long and drawn-out process that, apparently, quite a few veterans have never completed. And, from what you said, I do intend to high with a "high-end amp" for a while until something happens. However, I don't forsee myself uprading the amp itself for another 3-4 years. The source may change though because the source makes a HUGE difference, as I have found when I upgraded from a generic CDP to my NAD c541i.

Quote:

The best amps I've ever heard with the HD 600 are the Max and BlockHead, and although the MOH isn't the same, it's close enough for many people, and it does sound great with the HD 600.

A used Max has been at the back of my mind for quite a while now. I was somewhat tentative about listing it because of the higher price. However, used might open up some options for me.

Quote:

Number 1 on your list messes this up, but closest is the HA-2. I am of the opinion that the Sennheiser HD600 isn't good enough to show the amp's greatness. The Meier will, however, make the HD600 sound good.

Crossfeed on the HA-2 is interesting. When listening to "stereo" mixed originally in mono, there's more fill and guitars sound somewhat realer. I like the kinda on option most. The crossfeed on The Headroom Max w/ stepped attenuator sounded like a tube effects switch - warmer, fuzzier, doesn't sound as good as tubes. I personally think the Max is too good for it, and I would have hated it with the HA-2. I think the Meier crossfeed is pretty good.

HA-2 excels is the midbass and tonality, never too much or too little. Little cold at times. Since it is fast, clean, and punchy in the midbass, the deep bass just doesn't need to slow it down. HD600 accentuates the bottom and has a thick middle: I think you'll get the deep bass you want and it will be balanced with the rest of the spectrum.

Depending on what "decently large headstage/soundstage," know the Meier can't throw sounds real far; instead, it just layers instruments relative to one other in a close area. If big soundstage is your top priority, you need to make a new list - I'd guess the RKV would be on top, based on its reputation.

I'm surprised that you haven't mentioned any of the amps that you mod. Anyways, thanks for the input on the Meiers. People have said some good things about the Cordas and Prehead that have really piqued my interest. However, the PPA is a strong contender still. I'm currently waiting for a review of this amp for I jump in any particular direction.

Quote:

Only thing that might change is the source.

Yeah, I'll probably stick with the amp for a bit and see what happens. I doubt I'll be getting much more stuff during college at any rate.

Sep 15, 2003 at 3:02 AM Post #34 of 34
Quote:

I'm surprised that you haven't mentioned any of the amps that you mod.

You didn't have any amps I mod on your list
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back