HELP: Super comfy, Isolating, FUN closed-back for AMPLESS use under $200
Dec 27, 2016 at 2:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ken3592

Head-Fier
Currently own VModa M100, ATH M50, BD Custom One Pro +

Looking for a gift for a friend that is more comfortable and isolating than these and highly sensitive as they will be using them without an amp/DAC. I just got the COPs but they are so heavy and big and don't clamp quite tightly enough for my friend's small head. Must be comfortable for at least ~3 hours at a time.

I feel like the Bose SoundTrue ae II are perfect in the comfort/weight and isolation department but would like something that is slightly more detailed with lower bass extension while maintaining fun, lively, relatively forgivable music reproduction. I've been having a hell of a time conveying exactly what I'm looking for because, well, I haven't found it yet!

I've looked at Momentum 2.0, B&O H6, B&W P7, Sony cans, HD 380 Pros, and more but they all seem to have one or more things I get stuck on; either price, notion of an overly-neutral, analytical sound, low volume from a mobile device, build quality, discomfort after relatively short periods. I'm leaning toward the Momentum 2.0s but worry that they will be too uncomfortable or that their fashion-forwardedness means sacrificing durability; or that they won't fit right on a small head.

Dec 29, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 6
I think you should also at least consider the Soundmagic HP150--it ticks off several of your requirements at the right pricepoint. SQ is very, very high at the price and it is easy to drive. The only issue is whether you are off-put by the folks who have had durability issues, which, in reality, is a quite small percentage of users. Most owners have had no issues, Still, it;s something to consider. That said, I also like the Momentum--hard to go wrong with it. Good luck.

Jan 4, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #5 of 6
I think you should also at least consider the Soundmagic HP150--it ticks off several of your requirements at the right pricepoint. SQ is very, very high at the price and it is easy to drive. The only issue is whether you are off-put by the folks who have had durability issues, which, in reality, is a quite small percentage of users. Most owners have had no issues, Still, it;s something to consider. That said, I also like the Momentum--hard to go wrong with it. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion! The HP150s just seem too big and bulky for a tiny head and the durability issues are a big concern of mine. I'm not sure if I'm wasting money beyond ~$150 when I'm looking for headphones to be used exclusively amplessly. I just want a great all-around headphone like the M50x but more "musical" sounding, comfortable, and tiny-head friendly without wasting any potential by not using an amp. I guess I'm basically looking for an ampless-optimized headphone essentially like Bose or Beats but with slightly better SQ. Essentially like the P7s or H6s but without the 250+ price tag. :/

Jan 4, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the suggestion! The HP150s just seem too big and bulky for a tiny head and the durability issues are a big concern of mine. I'm not sure if I'm wasting money beyond ~$150 when I'm looking for headphones to be used exclusively amplessly. I just want a great all-around headphone like the M50x but more "musical" sounding, comfortable, and tiny-head friendly without wasting any potential by not using an amp. I guess I'm basically looking for an ampless-optimized headphone essentially like Bose or Beats but with slightly better SQ. Essentially like the P7s or H6s but without the 250+ price tag. :/

Sure. In that event, I personally would go with the M2 or the AKG K545--both pretty musical cans in your general price range. The AKG could be too large for your tastes. Beyond that and the ones in your original post and I think you are looking at stretching your budget a bit (I'm sure you don't want to do that). You could also always buy a used P7--I'm sure they are out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back