Help: Static in Right channel of HeadRoom Desktop Balanced Amp
Apr 14, 2010 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Zeke2040

New Head-Fier
I recently bought a Headroom Desktop Balanced Amp from a fellow Head-Fi'er and just got it today. My balanced headphones won't arrive for a couple of days so I decided to try out unbalanced K-701's and SE530's on the amp in the mean time. The XLR's on the front of the amp are the two-in-one type that can also accept 1/4".

What I'm experiencing with both pairs of headphones and in both jacks is static & just overall less volume in the right channel. It's not random static, but in sync with the music - it sounds kind of like what a busted speaker sounds like to me or like when you listening to the radio and you don't really have a good lock on the station.

I've used USB input on the amp, I've tried running USB through a seperate DAC and into the amp via RCA's. I've tried an Ipod into the amp via RCA's. I've tried alternate power sources and sockets. I've tried different USB cables. I've changed gain settings as well as crossfeed, and I've also tried using "float" on the desktop power supply. Also, as stated earlier, the symptoms are there for the K-701's and the Shure SE530's and in both sockets of the amp.

Please also note that the headroom micro amp & dac have none of these problems when connected to the same sources, power, and headphones.

I'm kinda new to all of this and have run out of troubleshooting ideas. Anyone have any ideas or recommendations? I'm hoping this problem won't be present on balanced headphones, but I won't be able to test that until Friday. Thanks in advance!

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you attempted to contact headroom?

I'm in Iraq so a phone call isn't very convenient, and this was posted outside of their hours, so I was just hoping someone might have some insight or suggestions before I emailed or called them...

Thanks for the advice though, I might not have thought of that...
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back